Help needed - MINI Cooper Forum

First Generation Faults & Fixes MINI faults and fixes 2001 - 2006

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 2018, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
EJD
MINI2 Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Local Time: 11:11 PM
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

 
Help needed

Hi
My name is Emma
I wonder if anyone can help. This is my first time using this forum and I have a problem with my Mini One 1600 cc

I was just driving back from Canterbury at 30mph and when I joined the A2 and accelerated the car started to lose power, in particular whilst going uphill. No matter how hard I accelerated I got response. It felt stiff and I thought it may be the brakes. There were no warning lights at all in the cockpit
I called out the RAC and they used their diagnostic tool but the engine wasn’t showing any faults. The car was jacked up and each wheel spun and no faults were detected.
There was no steam, no smell and no indication of anything wrong at all. RAC man couldn’t fix it and towed me the 30 miles home.

Does anyone have any clue of what this could possibly be. I look forward to any replies


Last edited by EJD; Feb 13th, 2018 at 05:03 PM. Reason: The car is a 2003 Model
EJD is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 2018, 06:43 PM
Moderator
 
minione2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Hereford,uk
Local Time: 11:11 PM
Posts: 2,823
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male
 
First of all, welcome aboard.

so no codes present.

it could be fuel/injector related.

@mike1967

Is the best to ask, i'll summon him.


minione2002 is offline  
Thanks for this post from:
EJD
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 2018, 03:00 PM
MINI2 Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Livermore, CA
Local Time: 11:11 PM
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

 
Garage
Losing power on acceleration when going up a hill suggests a fuel supply problem. Are you sure the fuel tank level is good?

Has the car received all its services? I'm thinking in particular the fuel filter if this is a servicable item.
Rockster is offline  
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 2018, 08:42 PM
MINI2 Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: down west somewhere
Local Time: 11:11 PM
Posts: 4,142
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by minione2002 View Post
First of all, welcome aboard.

so no codes present.

it could be fuel/injector related.

@mike1967

Is the best to ask, i'll summon him.
i'm summoned ..

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
mike1967 is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 2018, 08:55 PM
MINI2 Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: down west somewhere
Local Time: 11:11 PM
Posts: 4,142
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJD View Post
Hi
My name is Emma
I wonder if anyone can help. This is my first time using this forum and I have a problem with my Mini One 1600 cc

I was just driving back from Canterbury at 30mph and when I joined the A2 and accelerated the car started to lose power, in particular whilst going uphill. No matter how hard I accelerated I got response. It felt stiff and I thought it may be the brakes. There were no warning lights at all in the cockpit
I called out the RAC and they used their diagnostic tool but the engine wasn’t showing any faults. The car was jacked up and each wheel spun and no faults were detected.
There was no steam, no smell and no indication of anything wrong at all. RAC man couldn’t fix it and towed me the 30 miles home.

Does anyone have any clue of what this could possibly be. I look forward to any replies
depending on what level the ecu was scanned would depend on if there maybe p-codes present that wont show up on some scanners, with respect to AA and rac i have seen a lot of their on the side road diagnostics in a hurry to get to next job and do have a track record for not being as in to fixing the car as your local garage,,, this all said if there is genuinely no fault codes i would be inclined to be looking at fuel feed or pressure issues to do more with liquid than electric as such as if was on the electric side of pump it would have a fault code, where if a restriction in fuel flow the car could be running just inside the window where it dont throw up a code,, get this alot with diesels until it get so bad you do get a limp mode and eml light on dash, petrols can play the same games. not sure by your post the age of the mini, if tritec or prince engine, i know the tritec have pressure valve with a vac pipe that goes to it ans this can leak and dump pressure ,, the only way forward with out guessing because guessing is a expensive mistake to make,, it needs a proper live data diagnostics scan while being driven, and a scan that covers all the dealer only p-codes,, read the fuel pressures and what 02 sensors are doing,, if its a prince engine car and has over 60k i would put money on timing chain needs to be done if not now very soon,, this can also cause this issue and worse,,

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
mike1967 is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mike1967 For This Useful Post:
EJD
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2018, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
EJD
MINI2 Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Local Time: 11:11 PM
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1967 View Post
depending on what level the ecu was scanned would depend on if there maybe p-codes present that wont show up on some scanners, with respect to AA and rac i have seen a lot of their on the side road diagnostics in a hurry to get to next job and do have a track record for not being as in to fixing the car as your local garage,,, this all said if there is genuinely no fault codes i would be inclined to be looking at fuel feed or pressure issues to do more with liquid than electric as such as if was on the electric side of pump it would have a fault code, where if a restriction in fuel flow the car could be running just inside the window where it dont throw up a code,, get this alot with diesels until it get so bad you do get a limp mode and eml light on dash, petrols can play the same games. not sure by your post the age of the mini, if tritec or prince engine, i know the tritec have pressure valve with a vac pipe that goes to it ans this can leak and dump pressure ,, the only way forward with out guessing because guessing is a expensive mistake to make,, it needs a proper live data diagnostics scan while being driven, and a scan that covers all the dealer only p-codes,, read the fuel pressures and what 02 sensors are doing,, if its a prince engine car and has over 60k i would put money on timing chain needs to be done if not now very soon,, this can also cause this issue and worse,,
Hi thanks
The Mini is a 53 plate 1.6 with 103 K miles on the clock
I checked the air filter which looked a little dirty and went to BMW Mini and when I explained the problem they stated they would find the problem for £99
Car booked in and after 2 days they reported that they couldn’t find anything wrong. No fault codes etc
They didn’t charge me anything as they were unable to discover anything

Thing is I’ve sort of lost confidence in the car
EJD is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2018, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
EJD
MINI2 Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Local Time: 11:11 PM
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockster View Post
Losing power on acceleration when going up a hill suggests a fuel supply problem. Are you sure the fuel tank level is good?

Has the car received all its services? I'm thinking in particular the fuel filter if this is a servicable item.
Hi
Yup
Tank was full and talking with my Dad he is of the opinion it’s fuel related
I think the fuel fiteris attached to the petrol tank and the pump immersed in the tank itself
At a bit of a loss really
EJD is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2018, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
EJD
MINI2 Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Local Time: 11:11 PM
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1967 View Post
depending on what level the ecu was scanned would depend on if there maybe p-codes present that wont show up on some scanners, with respect to AA and rac i have seen a lot of their on the side road diagnostics in a hurry to get to next job and do have a track record for not being as in to fixing the car as your local garage,,, this all said if there is genuinely no fault codes i would be inclined to be looking at fuel feed or pressure issues to do more with liquid than electric as such as if was on the electric side of pump it would have a fault code, where if a restriction in fuel flow the car could be running just inside the window where it dont throw up a code,, get this alot with diesels until it get so bad you do get a limp mode and eml light on dash, petrols can play the same games. not sure by your post the age of the mini, if tritec or prince engine, i know the tritec have pressure valve with a vac pipe that goes to it ans this can leak and dump pressure ,, the only way forward with out guessing because guessing is a expensive mistake to make,, it needs a proper live data diagnostics scan while being driven, and a scan that covers all the dealer only p-codes,, read the fuel pressures and what 02 sensors are doing,, if its a prince engine car and has over 60k i would put money on timing chain needs to be done if not now very soon,, this can also cause this issue and worse,,
Thanks Mike
I haven’t grasped you line about the fuel running just inside the window
Agree with your other points
EJD is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2018, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
EJD
MINI2 Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Local Time: 11:11 PM
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

 
Hi
My mini has just replicated the exact same fault again. Driving at20 mph car refused to accelerate. Pulled over and switched off for 10 mins and the car started and drive again. Although it doesn’t seem the same
I’m at a loss as thecRAC and BMW can’t find any faults or codes
I’ve driven the car about 100 miles since the last incident
Any suggestions welcomed
EJD is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2018, 10:27 PM
MINI2 Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Hartfield, E Sussex
Local Time: 11:11 PM
Posts: 2,270
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)

England Male
 
Where are you in the UK? In the SE? Don't think you really want to be taking a 53 plate MINI with 103k miles to a main stealer if you can find a competent independant BMW/MINI specialist. Although it sounds yours were decent folk and didn't charge you.

The fuel filter is supposed to be a 'for life' item so never changed in the recommended service schedule. But they aren't and get really black and blocked up. Could be worth changing that.

Mine looked like this when I changed it at 102k miles. I thought petrol was clean, clear liquid!!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel Filter Old.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	223653  
NigelK is offline  
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 2018, 02:24 PM
MINI2 Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Local Time: 11:11 PM
Posts: 204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

 
If you're in the Surrey/Berkshire area try TWG in Camberley, they're more a "BMW" specialise but pretty sure they've done their fair amount of work on Mini's
.
.
Mikeyp @ TMS Motorsport
Email us : [email protected]


WhatsApp us for fast response : +447979127236
.
.
TMS Motorsport – FERODO PADS – BUY ONLINE

- We ship worldwide to your door -

- Currently Breaking for parts – Hawkeye Subaru Impreza - Honda S2000 -
Moff is offline  
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 2018, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
EJD
MINI2 Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Local Time: 11:11 PM
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

 
Hi thanks for your help
Discovered the fault causing the juderingbetc was caused by the wire to the No 1 Lambada sense
It was frayed and making intermittent contact
Re- wired and no problem since

This accounted for the fact there was no engine fault displayed

RAC and BMW failed to diagnose
Localmgarage found within 10 mins and cost £42 plus VAT
EJD is offline  
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 2018, 10:15 AM
MINI2 Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: down west somewhere
Local Time: 11:11 PM
Posts: 4,142
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJD View Post
Thanks Mike
I haven’t grasped you line about the fuel running just inside the window
Agree with your other points
my quote explained;;;where if a restriction in fuel flow the car could be running just inside the window where it dont throw up a code,,
bassically the ecu has a upper and lower setting before triggering a eml limp home mode, same as 02 sensor as you found was faulty they also have a window of operation ie upper limit and lower limit before triggering a eml,, as they get dirty or in your case the wire was frayed so the resistance would change also would find on wet days might make it worse as water changes the upper and lower resistance limits on the sensor,
and the 02 sensors control fuel flow

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
mike1967 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply
Tags:


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help Needed...Fitting Info Needed...ADVICE NEEDED!!!! x JoJo x Wheels, Tyres & Brakes 1 Nov 8th, 2010 02:32 PM
what bulbs!? please help...piaa. phillips. etc...? help needed please? alexc93 Second Generation MINI Exterior 4 Aug 8th, 2009 05:41 PM
HELP HELP 2 Days left HELP HELP funkarooo First Generation MINI Cooper 13 Sep 21st, 2004 11:55 PM
HELP!!!! My Radio's gone MAD! - Help and advice needed fast!! BRGreenie First Generation Faults & Fixes 7 Sep 11th, 2004 07:08 AM
HELP! aux driving light install help needed.... dhallen First Generation MINI Exterior 1 Sep 2nd, 2004 09:43 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome