First Generation Faults & Fixes MINI faults and fixes 2001 - 2006

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2019, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 05:30 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Starting issue, related clock - trip meter problem

Hi folk, I’ve recently become the owner of a 2006 r52 that has a couple of frustrating issues. Firstly the car will only start and run on the second turn of the key... on the first attempt the car will crank and fire up but will cut out almost straight away and then fire and run on the second attempt. This is the same if the car is hot, cold, has sat a day or two or just been running. The car runs fine, the fuel pump make all the right noises and I’ve tried both keys???? Any ideas?? The other issue Is that the clock and the trip meter keep resetting, I’ve set the clock and taken the car for a run, I can turn the ignition off, leave the car for a bit then turn ignition back on and the clock still works and the mileage is retained on the meter but as soon as the engine is cranked both disappear and the clock needs resetting. Battery seems fine along with connections??? Please help if you have any ideas.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2019, 03:39 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini1marcosūü§™ View Post
Hi folk, Iíve recently become the owner of a 2006 r52 that has a couple of frustrating issues. Firstly the car will only start and run on the second turn of the key... on the first attempt the car will crank and fire up but will cut out almost straight away and then fire and run on the second attempt. This is the same if the car is hot, cold, has sat a day or two or just been running. The car runs fine, the fuel pump make all the right noises and Iíve tried both keys???? Any ideas?? The other issue Is that the clock and the trip meter keep resetting, Iíve set the clock and taken the car for a run, I can turn the ignition off, leave the car for a bit then turn ignition back on and the clock still works and the mileage is retained on the meter but as soon as the engine is cranked both disappear and the clock needs resetting. Battery seems fine along with connections??? Please help if you have any ideas.
sounds like the battery connection is poor loose, or earth wire from battery etc, the not starting first time could very well be linked to this, if not i would think about temperature sensor need to read it on live data see what temp its at when cold and when hot,, when cold 20 degrees ish and when hot ie when fan kicks in 109c is max,, failing that maybe crank or cam position sensor breaking down maybe, once again needs scanning with a good diagnostics . best value autocom cdp plus on ebay
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bluetooth...69729611752b4e

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2019, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thank you for your quick response, I’ll purchase one of the diagnostic devices and check..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in