post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2019, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 05:58 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Garage
Coolant Leak

Hello,

I think I may have a slow leak with my coolant tank. I can't seem to find any dripping but after being away for a week I came back checked my coolant levels and the tank was empty.

Right now I'm only using water and don't want to spend money on 50/50 antifreeze and coolant combo if it's leaking out.

The car stays at a stable temp when driving it and doesnt over heat yet the tank seems to empty faster than i expected :/

Has anybody else experienced this issue?
Is there a common leak location for my mini r52 reguarding coolant?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2019, 08:40 AM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

those tanks are know to split, also not a good thing to run a car with no antifreeze in it as the antifreeze has additives in it to prevent corrosion and helps cool the engine as well.

good tuners/repairs in southwest uk top guys 01579388980
good tuner/ecu body control clones etc lancaster up north uk DALE PHONE NUMBER 07807 222262 top guy.
Thanks for this post from:
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2019, 11:04 AM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)

England Male

As Mike says, the tanks develop splits - usually you can see the white marks, residual on or near it. Given the heat in the engine bay it evaporates very quickly after it has leaked out, so you tend not to see' water'. They shouldn't use any coolant. And Mike is also correct - antifreeze isn't just to stop freezing. You can keep putting plain water in while you diagnose and fix it at this time of year but once sorted you need to re-fill all of it with the correct 50/50 mixture.
Thanks for this post from:

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2019, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelK View Post
As Mike says, the tanks develop splits - usually you can see the white marks, residual on or near it. Given the heat in the engine bay it evaporates very quickly after it has leaked out, so you tend not to see' water'. They shouldn't use any coolant. And Mike is also correct - antifreeze isn't just to stop freezing. You can keep putting plain water in while you diagnose and fix it at this time of year but once sorted you need to re-fill all of it with the correct 50/50 mixture.
Ah excellent, thank you. I'll be sure to take out the tank and inspect it correctly and any hoses connecting to it.

That was the plan, when I first bought the car the tank was emptyish (with water from previous owner) and I refilled with water to get it home and as I said it seemed to be used fast so the second I get this diagnosed and resolved I'll be sure to use the 50/50 Coolant.

Thank you both for your reply!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2019, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Garage
Diagnosis Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Cox View Post
Ah excellent, thank you. I'll be sure to take out the tank and inspect it correctly and any hoses connecting to it.

That was the plan, when I first bought the car the tank was emptyish (with water from previous owner) and I refilled with water to get it home and as I said it seemed to be used fast so the second I get this diagnosed and resolved I'll be sure to use the 50/50 Coolant.

Thank you both for your reply!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1967 View Post
those tanks are know to split, also not a good thing to run a car with no antifreeze in it as the antifreeze has additives in it to prevent corrosion and helps cool the engine as well.
Just a quick update on the diagnosis with some images attached.

It was a slow leak on an old corroded radiator on the left hand side. A fairly cheap and easy to do repair but the whole system will require flushing and cleaning due to rust where previous owners have only used water and it being left in the tank.

thank you to all that helped!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	radiator leak .jpg
Views:	16
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	228911   Click image for larger version

Name:	radiator leak  close.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	228913  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2019, 07:17 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:

It was a slow leak on an old corroded radiator on the left hand side. A fairly cheap and easy to do repair but the whole system will require flushing and cleaning due to rust where previous owners have only used water and it being left in the tank.

if i were you do pump and thermostat as well

good tuners/repairs in southwest uk top guys 01579388980
good tuner/ecu body control clones etc lancaster up north uk DALE PHONE NUMBER 07807 222262 top guy.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2019, 11:32 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)

England Male

Good to see you've diagnosed the problem and can get it sorted. Thanks for posting the outcome.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2019, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1967 View Post
Quote:

if i were you do pump and thermostat as well
Quote:
Good to see you've diagnosed the problem and can get it sorted. Thanks for posting the outcome.
Not a problem!

Ah yes! Good idea, i’ll Be sure to replace those parts too. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in