Find Sponsor products associated with this forum
First generation MINI interior 2001 - 2006

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2007, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 02:01 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

England Female View funkychicken's Space Blue & Silver 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

Spare Key and Car Memory

When I collected my cooper S a couple of months ago the dealer didnt have the spare key, so had a new one made up for me. After a fair bit of hassle it eventually arrived, and I got instructions on how to code it. Well that worked, but the problem I have is that now my original key is no longer coded. I have had a play around and it seems that I can have one that works and the other not working, but not both at the same time. Has anyone else had this problem, or is this actually normal? I had a look in my owners manual and it was saying about being able to have different settings in the car memory for a different driver on each key so I'm thinking that this isnt normal.
An whilst on the subject of car memory, does anyone know how to change any of the setting that it talks about in the owners manual, like the speed the car automatically locks itself etc, as I cant see how to do that in the book. Not that I will probably ever change anything, I'm just curious.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2007, 05:17 AM
MINI2 Privilege Member Has met Quack Quack Jack
MINI2 No.1

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

England Male

Send a message via Skype™ to Paul
You should have three keys. A regular key, a second key, and a plastic wallet key. They should all work, but I'm not sure what you mean by "at the same time"?

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2007, 07:47 AM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male View JAMIE1131's Electric Blue & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile View JAMIE1131's Classified Ads

Same thing happened when I bought mine. The dealer had to plug the car into there diagnostic equipment to code the key, I was at Sytner in leicester for over two hours while they did it, good news is it was covered by warranty. I would ask them about it, if they disagree I could email you a pdf of the paperwork they gave me which might help your case!

(Paul, posting at 6.17am on a saturday??????)

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2007, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

England Female View funkychicken's Space Blue & Silver 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

Paul Yeah I know have all those three keys. What I meant by at the same time (sorry, I am so rubbish at explaining things) is that I seem to be able to have one of the remote keys working properly, but I cant have both of them working. When I followed the instructions I was given to code my new key, that key would work, but the first key I had would no longer do anything, and when I re-coded that one the same thing happened again.
Jamie Glad to see I'm not the only one that has had this problem. I think I am going to take it to the local dealer next weekened and see if it can be sorted, plus its a good excuse to see about having some spotlights fitted. I bought it from a dealer in London, and I live in Dorset so unfortunately its all been very drawn out as everything is having to be done either by email or by phone.
Thank you both for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in