MINI Cooper Forum banner

Mikey's Mini Stereo project

15K views 95 replies 26 participants last post by  mikeythemini 
#1 · (Edited)
Every time I am advising someone about the hi-fi in their Mini, I get asked "what have you got in yours" and have been embarassed after 6 months of ownership to say just a different stereo (which made a huge difference to the sound)
So today I started.
First Job, remove inner sill covers (held on with clips)
Rear seats (see the faq)
Boot trim & rear quarter panels (3 screws each side & lots of metal & plastic clips, some of which had been crushed when the car was built)
I removed the 15 watt rear speakers & the foam, then lined the cavity with sound deadening before refitting the foam and a set of Kenwood PSR901's (6*9's, 260w peak, 30-70k hz)
These went straight in - sealed with mastik and thicker cables.
I was going to go for 7&10's but want something people can listen to and know they can fit without any cutting.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Now its time for the first amp.
Many of you will have seen my pics of customers Minis where I have put the smallest Kenwood amps in the boot cubby holes;
I wanted something a bit bigger for my sub. I think I can just squeeze one of these in the right side. Kenwood 819 450w mono amp with servo and adjustable bass filter.
Keep you informed
Mike

Attachments

#5 ·
I don't think that sound deadening is a Mini thing specifically. In fact I would say that out of the many production cars the mini is one that needs it less than most.

Maybe it is just that the mini atracts people who want to have good ICE installations.

In terms of car audio the main type of sound deadening are things like "Brown Bread" or "Dynamat". These work by increasing the mass of the bodywork that they are attached to. This in turn stops resonece in the bodywork that would vibrate and affect the quality of the sound. It is most noticeable with the lower frequencies where typically the sound will be cleaner and tighter.

It would be a mistake to think that these products would reduce road noise by much. Sound insulation takes on this role.

I happen to think that the mini is pretty good because the panels are faily solid in the first place. The doors benefit the most from the material. So, in many cases the improvement will not be as great as you might expect as compared to the results that you might get with say a Ford, Vauxhall or a Japanese car.

#7 ·
Sounds good to me although I did the rears cos I had some stuff left over.

I'm sure that there are better ways of doing but this is what my door looked like after the dynamat...

While you are there also pay attention to anything that might rattle. Tape or tie wires and cables. Dob silicone sealer on anything lose that you want to secure, metal cross brace and door skin, in the center there. Also look at the cable mech to the door handle in the top of the door by the lock (my cable rattled here). Seal all around the perimeter of the door card with thin foam tape (aka draught excluder). Check the plastic welds on the stock speaker grille, a couple on mine were loose. Replace any broken panel clips.

#8 ·
Thanks very much for that Gary, I will keep you posted. My installation will be over a period of about 2 mths as we are fitting the head unit this weekend.

I am still looking at suitable options for the speakers but not sure which way I should go. I favourite is a Focal setup with an Audison 5 channel amp, then later on maybe add an 8" Focal Sub in enclosure. Then there is the genesis 6 x 9 sub route but not sure on the rest of the configuration.

So I have decided to monitor the site and speak to different dealers with respect to the best and most cost effective setup – any ideas will be most appreciated.

#9 ·
Dead right about the sound deadening, the mini is far less prone than many other cars, but I don't want to be pulling panels off again if I find a vibration.

I am going for a great sounding but practical system with my Mini. I have had huge systems in previous demo cars but I don't think the average customer wants to lose the boot. So I am trying to use as little space as possible but still with deep punchy bass and great detail.

Here is how I mount the amps; just metal strips mounted on the threaded posts that are already there. NO HOLES DRILLED.

Attachments

#14 · (Edited)
mikeythemini said:
Dead right about the sound deadening, the mini is far less prone than many other cars, but I don't want to be pulling panels off again if I find a vibration.

I am going for a great sounding but practical system with my Mini. I have had huge systems in previous demo cars but I don't think the average customer wants to lose the boot. So I am trying to use as little space as possible but still with deep punchy bass and great detail.

Here is how I mount the amps; just metal strips mounted on the threaded posts that are already there. NO HOLES DRILLED.
Hmmm....
Something looks odd. In my car (and I assume all US spec cars), there is a silver tube-thingy that is mounted at a slant. It is located approximately where the seat belt is in the picture above. This thingy reduces the usable space in the cubbies. Do your cars not have this?

I bought a Blaupunkt PA-4100 4channel amp for that spot, and it looks like it will be a tighter fit than I imagined, and yet it is dimensionally smaller than the amp you show in the above post. That's a KAC-819, right?
The KAC-819 dimensions are 10"W x 2-5/16"H x 12-5/8"D.
The PA-4100 is 9"W x 1.8"H x 7.8"D.
I don't think that 819 would fit in a US car. The top forward corner would hit that tube-thingy and the top rearward corner would hit the seatbelt tensioner.

My cardboard cutout test indicates the Blau will fit, but with not nearly as much room as I thought. Rather tight, actually.

BTW, I did a lot of searching to find a Blaupunkt PA-4100 4 channel amp. (hope it sounds good!)
If anyone else wants one, the *only* place I found them is Midwest Electronics www.midwest-usa.com/
All the other (cheaper) places were out of stock - even tried emailed and phone requests for stock checks. Nada.
Midwest is slightly higher. But on the other hand, they are factory-authorized net retailers so they have the real Blaupunkt factory warranty.

#15 ·
Terry,
The "silver tube-thingy" is for the head protection airbags - they are fitted as standard on US vehicles but optional for UK which is why Mikeys car does not have them.

GadgetGav has fitted a Blaupunkt PA4100 successfully in that space on a US MINI. If it fits, you don't need "head room" :)

#17 ·
iancull said:
Terry,
The "silver tube-thingy" is for the head protection airbags - they are fitted as standard on US vehicles but optional for UK which is why Mikeys car does not have them.

GadgetGav has fitted a Blaupunkt PA4100 successfully in that space on a US MINI. If it fits, you don't need "head room" :)
Thanks for the "heads up" ;) on what that is.
Danged safety systems always getting in the way of somethin'.

#25 ·
Dom, are you talking about front or back seats??
Trebalz - The Kenwood 901 speakers are great for the rear if you want great quality (they don't produce deep bass though) I wasn't worried as I am fitting a sub in a custom mini enclosure. Was going to go for the Kenwood PSR71p for the front doors but have today ordered some Clarions as the specs look better (will let you know how they sound)
Still not sure which stereo to fit though

#26 ·
mikeythemini said:
Dom, are you talking about front or back seats??
Trebalz - The Kenwood 901 speakers are great for the rear if you want great quality (they don't produce deep bass though) I wasn't worried as I am fitting a sub in a custom mini enclosure. Was going to go for the Kenwood PSR71p for the front doors but have today ordered some Clarions as the specs look better (will let you know how they sound)
Still not sure which stereo to fit though
ahh... I was talking about back seats... can see what you mean now! doh!

Go for a nakamichi unit ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.