First generation MINI interior 2001 - 2006

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2018, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 09:59 AM
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

United Kingdom

Discovered this handy mobile phone mount !

I had been hunting around for what seems like an age for a decent mobile phone mount for my R53 without having to pay the 70 that Cravenspeed want for theirs , and after recently joining an R53 facebook group I spotted a guy who 3d prints one of his own design .

Gotta say I love it !
It slips over the hazard light switch and your phone sticks to the magnet on it via the plates provided that sit neatly inside your phone case .

I just thought I would share this with everyone , if anyone wants to know where I got it from send me a pm and I will be more than happy to pass you a link .

Dall

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0741.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	224357   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0742.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	224359  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2018, 07:07 AM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)

England Male

That is neat, thanks. Is that the R53OC? If so, great group. How much is it?
I have one that came from M+S that is similar in my Volvo.
Needs a strong magnet for an R53?? The Volvo actually has suspension that absorbs bumps!!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Phone Holder M&S Vent.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	224373  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2018, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelK View Post
That is neat, thanks. Is that the R53OC? If so, great group. How much is it?
I have one that came from M+S that is similar in my Volvo.
Needs a strong magnet for an R53?? The Volvo actually has suspension that absorbs bumps!!

I had something similar to whats in your pic already but had a helluva job finding a decent place to put it where the phone did not slip off on bumps .

This mount sits slightly prouder over the hazard light switch and so gives more room for your phone without it hitting the dash , also it can be used over either the hazard light switch or the "dimmer" switch for your dash lights and has a pretty powerful magnet .

I must admit that it is a little bit pricey at 20 however as the guy makes them himself along with other items on a 3d printer I dont mind paying it , especially as when on it looks "icognito" and does not shout " I have a mobile phone " to any potential thieves .

The group is not the R53OC its this one .....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/5547...f=group_header

but he was also selling them on fleabay .

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2018, 09:59 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)

England Male

Thanks Dalliance. Yet another MINI Gen 1 Group on FB. Thought I must be on them all ...... but no!!
Don't think 20 is too bad. I'll try and find him on the Flea.

Incidentally the R53OC Group is by far the best one I've found. Good folk, very focused on our cars only (obviously). I met about 20 of them a couple of weekends ago as they organised a pub meet quite near me. Excellent meet.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2019, 03:06 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Dalliance - this is exactly what I'm after!
New to the forum (signed up to get in touch) but don't have facebook. Do you have a link to purchase?

Thanks,
John
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2019, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCR53S View Post
Dalliance - this is exactly what I'm after!
New to the forum (signed up to get in touch) but don't have facebook. Do you have a link to purchase?

Thanks,
John
Hi John ,
I am sorry to say that the guy has stopped selling them , HOWEVER after living with it for some time I got fed up of my phone dropping off the magnet when I hit a bump ( it didnt happen all the time but often enough to become annoying ) So i looked around for an alternative .

The good news is I found a great alternative which although for Gen 2 and 3 Minis that can be adapted to fit 1st Gen .It is a very similar concept to the Cravenspeed mount but a damn sight cheaper !!!

This is the one I now have ...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Union-Jac...item2153e8956a

Its very simple to adapt , as all you need to do is remove 1 of the screws on the back of the rev counter and then fit the mount using just the 1 hole instead of the 2 on the mount that it shows in the instructions .
What I also did is remove the "folding " part of the mount and swapped over the phone grip in its place as its a simple nut and thread on it .
One thing to be careful of is if you do buy one of these make sure that you order the one for the R55/R56/R60/R61 as they are different to the others .

I am extremely happy with this new mount and for the price can highly recommend it .

Hope this is helpful
Dall
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2019, 09:10 PM
Kmess

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

England

Hey all,

I was in the same boat a while ago, however I found this holder around 7 months ago and it has never failed me! It wont let me post URLs as im a new user, but its an Aukey magnetic holder for about 8 quid on amazon!

It does fit into one of the air vents, I chose the drivers side one near the radio, but the handiness that this little magnet has it's worth blocking a small amount of air
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in