LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Today, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 01:31 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Female

Dashboard warning lights

OK - here goes. I am hoping you lovely people can work this out for me.
I have tried another forum (I'm sorry) but they were all incredibly rude, arrogant and patronising. I couldn't quite believe how nasty and pretentious they were. But I'm sure you're not like that..............

I have a 1st generation (I think) Mini Cooper 55 plate. I purchased it back in September 2018 and it took me a while to realise that the lights that warn about seat belts etc. that are on the rev. counter display, don't work. The lights on the main display in the middle work as the full beam light comes on, the run flat indicator comes on etc. but when I have my dipped headlights on for instance, there is no light to show this. There is no light or noise when I don't plug my seat belt in and so on.

One thing I do remember from my torrid time on "minitorque" forum was someone mentioning a switch or over ride that you can activate which turns warning lights and sounds off. Now I can't have made this up as my brain is not wired that way! When I mentioned it to a work colleague yesterday he said that a lot of vehicles have a sequence you can go through (e.g. turn ignition on-press brake three times-turn lights on-open door) to reset things. I can't find anything that helps anywhere.
I have taken it to 2 local garages, one claims to be a BMW expert but he didn't know anything in truth, the other plugged it into his diagnostic machine but found no "faults". I have tried to push all wires in right behind the foot pedals but it is quite tight and difficult to do.

It is now become my obsession. I NEED to get this sorted. It can't be right....can it?

Thanks in advance for your assistance

Debb Pic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Today, 12:35 PM
knt
MINI2 Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)

I think minitorque are more geared towards the mod scene, they probaly don't mean it.

Anyways, not sure what you're trying to achieve but resetting the car's ECU

https://new.minimania.com/ECU_Reset_...50_52_53_MINIs

Also some videos on YouTube if you do a search.

No sound chime on seat belts this might explain

https://www.mini2.com/forum/first-ge...elt-chime.html

Debb Picariello likes this.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Today, 01:22 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debb Picariello View Post
OK - here goes. I am hoping you lovely people can work this out for me.
I have tried another forum (I'm sorry) but they were all incredibly rude, arrogant and patronising. I couldn't quite believe how nasty and pretentious they were. But I'm sure you're not like that..............

I have a 1st generation (I think) Mini Cooper 55 plate. I purchased it back in September 2018 and it took me a while to realise that the lights that warn about seat belts etc. that are on the rev. counter display, don't work. The lights on the main display in the middle work as the full beam light comes on, the run flat indicator comes on etc. but when I have my dipped headlights on for instance, there is no light to show this. There is no light or noise when I don't plug my seat belt in and so on.

One thing I do remember from my torrid time on "minitorque" forum was someone mentioning a switch or over ride that you can activate which turns warning lights and sounds off. Now I can't have made this up as my brain is not wired that way! When I mentioned it to a work colleague yesterday he said that a lot of vehicles have a sequence you can go through (e.g. turn ignition on-press brake three times-turn lights on-open door) to reset things. I can't find anything that helps anywhere.
I have taken it to 2 local garages, one claims to be a BMW expert but he didn't know anything in truth, the other plugged it into his diagnostic machine but found no "faults". I have tried to push all wires in right behind the foot pedals but it is quite tight and difficult to do.

It is now become my obsession. I NEED to get this sorted. It can't be right....can it?

Thanks in advance for your assistance
sorry you have had morons on other forums most of the people on here dont try and put anyone down for a ego issue just like to help when they can,,
first thing needed with your car is to know what is working and what is not on the dash the trouble is all car makers do the same trick ie they produce one dash for all models and extra's form factory and its very hard to know what is there and whats not meant to be there thats the first battle, might be worth finding a car same year for sale somewhere and go have a look and see what lights light up with only the ignition turned on no engine ie car goes on to self check for all systems and lights, any bulbs that do not light up with either be a wiring or ecu or bulb issue or some bulbs as circuit mounted LED's ie seal for life and just replacing the whole unit is what they want people to do, that said can buy LED kits off ebay to change colours of dash lighting,
this all said need to strip clocks to the light as such and test with a meter see if its within the clocks or wiring of very commonly bcm body control module,, the bcm has loads of surface soldered relays and controls all the cars low amps switching as such and very common for failures BBA REMEN search then on google they repair these ecu's and know a lot about them and what they do,, well worth a chat with them,,
the trouble you have is most garages dont have the gear or time to work this level of faults out its a bridge between mechanical and computer,, in the trade its called the black arts, most garages farm this sort of work out, the test equipment is big money, the program writing and encoding is expressive and so many different cars and formats etc. you need to speak to a auto electrician engineer.
Debb Picariello likes this.

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in