First Generation MINI Cooper S MINI Cooper S 2002 - 2006

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2018, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 06:03 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Valeo SMF Clutch Upgrade thoughts?

The clutch is starting to get a bit heavy for my liking so looking to throw a new one in there at the end of the month. Wanted to know if anyone had done the SMF valeo kit. I heard good things about it and as i'm looking to up power later wanted to hear peoples thoughts on it. My only concern is that it will harm the power delivery and cause vibrations at idle. Has anyone done the upgrade? Care to share your experiences?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2018, 08:06 PM
MINI2 Regular

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Garage
Ask yourself why BMW chose to spend at least twice the amount on a DMF then ask again if you think it's a good idea or not to go solid........

MOD, 2004 R50, BRG, Pepper Pack, Pano Roof, chrome interior and exterior enhancements, air con, Mini boost CD.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2018, 02:54 AM
cristo

Local Time: 01:03 AM
Quoted: 37 Post(s)

United States Male View cristo's Hot Chocolate & Silver 2nd Gen MINI John Cooper Works Clubman Profile

Garage
I put in a Valeo when I swapped a 6-speed Getrag
for the failed Midlands into my previous MINI (2003 R50).
I found it to be a very good street friendly clutch/flywheel set.
It is said to be very reliable, perhaps even more so than the
Stock DMF. It has none of the problems of lightweight sport
Clutches, and is only a couple # less in weight than the DMF setup.
Maybe not the best choice if you’re going to
go up over 220-240 hp, but neither is the stock DMF.
I do have a 2009 JCW R55 with the stock DMF so I know how
both feel and work.
The DMF has the springs in the flywheel and a solid clutch disc, whereas the Valeo has a solid flywheel
And the springs in the clutch disc.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2018, 08:48 AM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristo View Post
I put in a Valeo when I swapped a 6-speed Getrag
for the failed Midlands into my previous MINI (2003 R50).
I found it to be a very good street friendly clutch/flywheel set.
It is said to be very reliable, perhaps even more so than the
Stock DMF. It has none of the problems of lightweight sport
Clutches, and is only a couple # less in weight than the DMF setup.
Maybe not the best choice if you’re going to
go up over 220-240 hp, but neither is the stock DMF.
I do have a 2009 JCW R55 with the stock DMF so I know how
both feel and work.
The DMF has the springs in the flywheel and a solid clutch disc, whereas the Valeo has a solid flywheel
And the springs in the clutch disc.
we started fitting solid conversions years ago back when the first wave of failed dmf's started to appear noticed a pattern, big diesels eat them, mapped diesels eat them, and above all driver style kills them fast,, by driver style i mean picture this you buy a diesel because it will do 70mpg but only may to do 70mpg is drive as low revs as poss under 2k everywhere trouble this causes max rotational torque load on the flywheel all the time, this keeps the springs in side under max load then every gear change they release and go the other way..
this all said we fitted a lot of smf to these cars over the years and rarely seen them back again and owners just slogged them in to the ground while getting good mpg,,
now the other cars that got driven high revs everywhere on smf hmm they had different problems with vibrations and gearbox breakages .in fact remember a builder with a transit tipper went through 4 gearboxes until went back to dmf then it was just dmf every 50k , as gearboxes are made weaker with dmf designed use,
so to sum it up its all about how its driven and what use is expected of it,,
one mod i would never do again is a solid flywheel with paddle clutch on a road car, the best solid flywheel kits and they also do a 400bhp plus twin plate conversion is produced link below
CG Motorsport Twin Disk Clutch Kit - 184mm Sintered Drive | CG Motorsport

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2018, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1967 View Post
we started fitting solid conversions years ago back when the first wave of failed dmf's started to appear noticed a pattern, big diesels eat them, mapped diesels eat them, and above all driver style kills them fast,, by driver style i mean picture this you buy a diesel because it will do 70mpg but only may to do 70mpg is drive as low revs as poss under 2k everywhere trouble this causes max rotational torque load on the flywheel all the time, this keeps the springs in side under max load then every gear change they release and go the other way..
this all said we fitted a lot of smf to these cars over the years and rarely seen them back again and owners just slogged them in to the ground while getting good mpg,,
now the other cars that got driven high revs everywhere on smf hmm they had different problems with vibrations and gearbox breakages .in fact remember a builder with a transit tipper went through 4 gearboxes until went back to dmf then it was just dmf every 50k , as gearboxes are made weaker with dmf designed use,
so to sum it up its all about how its driven and what use is expected of it,,
one mod i would never do again is a solid flywheel with paddle clutch on a road car, the best solid flywheel kits and they also do a 400bhp plus twin plate conversion is produced link below
CG Motorsport Twin Disk Clutch Kit - 184mm Sintered Drive | CG Motorsport

Thats just what I was thinking. I'm only going to go to 180 - 200bhp with a smaller pulley and maybe a remap. I know a diesel engine will need a DMF. I mean the stock R50 mini uses a SMF and doesnt vibrate too much so i'm guessing I wont notice the difference. It more for longevity. Im not a crazy driver and I never rev the car to redline. I just want a nice light clutch with good feel for driving around town. Its only a small simple old fashioned 1.6 engine anyway not a complex V6 or V8 so I think i'll go with the Valeo SMF kit and ill be sure to let you know how I get on.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2018, 01:59 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOnGrey View Post
Thats just what I was thinking. I'm only going to go to 180 - 200bhp with a smaller pulley and maybe a remap. I know a diesel engine will need a DMF. I mean the stock R50 mini uses a SMF and doesnt vibrate too much so i'm guessing I wont notice the difference. It more for longevity. Im not a crazy driver and I never rev the car to redline. I just want a nice light clutch with good feel for driving around town. Its only a small simple old fashioned 1.6 engine anyway not a complex V6 or V8 so I think i'll go with the Valeo SMF kit and ill be sure to let you know how I get on.
its always good to come back with how you get on with it..

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2018, 10:45 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)

England Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy2Jags View Post
Ask yourself why BMW chose to spend at least twice the amount on a DMF then ask again if you think it's a good idea or not to go solid........
I do, all the time. On a diesel? Yes for sure, they all have them. When I discovered my R53 S had a DMF I was gobsmacked. TBH, I didn't know manufacturers ever fitted DMF to petrols.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2018, 10:51 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)

England Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOnGrey View Post
The clutch is starting to get a bit heavy for my liking so looking to throw a new one in there at the end of the month. Wanted to know if anyone had done the SMF valeo kit.
Please do let us know how it goes and what you think. I'm at a similar point clutch-wise and know I'll have to replace it soon. I'm really conflited as to whether to stay DMF or go SMF. Modded car, getting it dynoed and bespoke mapped shortly but it should have about 200bhp crank.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2018, 06:49 AM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelK View Post
I do, all the time. On a diesel? Yes for sure, they all have them. When I discovered my R53 S had a DMF I was gobsmacked. TBH, I didn't know manufacturers ever fitted DMF to petrols.
ho yes the amount of customers over the years that after getting the bill bearing in mind the flywheel was right in front of them and screwed were very un happy to say the least once having the bill for one, LUK do some fairly good value ones these days nut back 8-10 years ago were £500 trade and £800 retail, these days £250 trade and £350 retail ,, i had a alfa romeo 159 20v 5 cylinder diesel sportwagon and that was a money pit. 2 years ago flywheel was £650 plus £360 for clutch, and the m30 gearbox ie its a vauxhall gearbox used on all saab's alfa vauxhalls between 2006-2012 they used plastic bearing cases in gear box 60k or when running 260bhp every 30k the gearbox would destroy its self even with dmf,, and if put smf in it was so much worse,, even after doing the conversion ie steel cased bearings and new syncro 50k it was whining again
my point is some gear boxes just dont do well with out the dmf to damp out the drive line shocks,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in