LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 2019, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 01:46 AM
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)

United Kingdom

Terminals on the coil

Both coil packs in my Mini and my brother’s have a rusty terminal on number 3, all other terminals are like new.

No idea why this is the case, but some sand paper soon sorted the problem out.

Anyone else had this?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	83F32049-9DB1-4C02-AFA1-9124C6C6AE17.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	227773  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 02:52 AM
MINI2 Senior

Local Time: 07:46 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)

United States Male

Could be from the near location to the coolant reservoir. Check reservoir cap for proper seal and tank for crack when hot under pressure. Otherwise the sanding and some dielectric compound smeared inside the lip of the plug booy should help prevent it.

Charlie Croker ,BRG 03 Cooper S, SCCA Solo, PDX, Time Trials, RoadRally, and Stella, 011 Oxford Grn Countryman S, with complete Sport Package, stock at present
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 10:43 PM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 12:46 AM
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)

England Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCroker View Post
Could be from the near location to the coolant reservoir. Check reservoir cap for proper seal and tank for crack when hot under pressure. Otherwise the sanding and some dielectric compound smeared inside the lip of the plug booy should help prevent it.
No mate, nothing to do with a coolant link. The rusty #3 terminal, just that one, on the coilpack is one of the world's great unsolved mysteries. There are 5,500 members on the R53 Owners Club on Facebook ....... and no-one knows why it is always and only #3 and none of the others. Soeone on there alwys knows to answer to something ....... but not that one!!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2019, 07:06 AM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelK View Post
No mate, nothing to do with a coolant link. The rusty #3 terminal, just that one, on the coilpack is one of the world's great unsolved mysteries. There are 5,500 members on the R53 Owners Club on Facebook ....... and no-one knows why it is always and only #3 and none of the others. Soeone on there alwys knows to answer to something ....... but not that one!!
better made coil pack link below
https://www.amazon.com/MINI-Cooper-I.../dp/B01MG27XET
the standard ones were made on the very cheap as rover group were in money trouble so components like this were farmed out on price, chances are some non coated pins were mixed in with correctly coated pins on production line. or coil pack its self would over heat as sat in the hottest place they could find,

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2019, 01:48 AM
MINI2 Senior

Local Time: 07:46 PM
Quoted: 33 Post(s)

United States Male

Bought my 03 S new, replaced coil with a Demon coil in 06, for competition. In 16 yrs, never had the #3 problem, and original coil is still like new in shelf. In 16 years, never saw this on any MINIs I serviced. Been wrenching 54 yrs.

Charlie Croker ,BRG 03 Cooper S, SCCA Solo, PDX, Time Trials, RoadRally, and Stella, 011 Oxford Grn Countryman S, with complete Sport Package, stock at present
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2019, 12:20 PM
cristo

Local Time: 08:46 PM
Quoted: 37 Post(s)

United States Male View cristo's Hot Chocolate & Silver 2nd Gen MINI John Cooper Works Clubman Profile

Garage
It’s always terminal 3.
No one knows why.
Clean it off and motor on.
NigelK likes this.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2019, 11:25 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)

England Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCroker View Post
Bought my 03 S new, replaced coil with a Demon coil in 06, for competition. In 16 yrs, never had the #3 problem, and original coil is still like new in shelf. In 16 years, never saw this on any MINIs I serviced. Been wrenching 54 yrs.
Well here in damp old Blighty I can promise you this is #3 problem is common. As confirmed by Cristo and me!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in