post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2011, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 10:43 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

United Kingdom View solidsponge's Classified Ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIAC View Post
Probably something that will not be stocked and will have to be special order from Germany.
I dread to think of the cost. Ill ring up tommorow if I get a chance and tell you how much it is. Ill just leave it if its over £100 or get scrappy one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2011, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

+ programming fee to your car

Cheaper method is to smash the light.

post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2011, 02:41 PM
cristo

Local Time: 05:43 AM
Quoted: 37 Post(s)

United States Male View cristo's Hot Chocolate & Silver 2nd Gen MINI John Cooper Works Clubman Profile

Garage
No wonder these parts are hard to track down.
Variously called RDW, DWS, RPA, flat tire monitor,
part number 36116801252, but 61356801252 on the unit
(#7 on this page): RealOEM.com BMW R50 Cooper BODY CONTROL UNITS AND MODULS
The price doesn't surprise me, but it's a lot cheaper than a new ABS control unit like the post-3/2002 MINIs use for this function.
I'd want to know that the module is the actual problem before swapping a new one in, and, after all,
it's not really a function you can't easily live without.

BTW, have you tried cleaning the contacts and connectors for the control unit and the switch under the handbrake
just in case it was a bad connection?

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2011, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristo View Post
No wonder these parts are hard to track down.
Variously called RDW, DWS, RPA, flat tire monitor,
part number 36116801252, but 61356801252 on the unit
(#7 on this page): RealOEM.com BMW R50 Cooper BODY CONTROL UNITS AND MODULS
The price doesn't surprise me, but it's a lot cheaper than a new ABS control unit like the post-3/2002 MINIs use for this function.
I'd want to know that the module is the actual problem before swapping a new one in, and, after all,
it's not really a function you can't easily live without.

BTW, have you tried cleaning the contacts and connectors for the control unit and the switch under the handbrake
just in case it was a bad connection?
No I havent, I will try that. Something that makes me wonder is I do have the water leak coming in the car both sides, via windows or somewhere (which I cannot cure) and I know they make a cover for the BC1 so maybe that is at fault, but I do NOT think this is the case because the car has no other electrical faults (touch wood).

I will try cleaning those contacts, getting the cover the BC1, checking the switch, maybe get a new switch. I cant ever see me paying that much for something like that, especially when I want to replace the wheels, its a bit pricey, but that light on and having fault isnt great.

Hopefully some cleaning will work but not sure as not had much luck with MINI so far :P
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2011, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

Update

Ive now had this diagnosed and was told it is one of the front tyres either the "run flat sensor" has fell off or broke or each wheel is set to sit on certain place and that one is meant to be elsewhere? He was unsure which. But apparently they have a sensor behind the valve? anyone had any experience of this? Because only option is dealer now because most garages wont have a clue I dont think. Anyone know if it has sensors behind the valves as well? So within the tyre I guess?
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2011, 07:10 PM
cristo

Local Time: 05:43 AM
Quoted: 37 Post(s)

United States Male View cristo's Hot Chocolate & Silver 2nd Gen MINI John Cooper Works Clubman Profile

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsponge View Post
Update

Ive now had this diagnosed and was told it is one of the front tyres either the "run flat sensor" has fell off or broke or each wheel is set to sit on certain place and that one is meant to be elsewhere? He was unsure which. But apparently they have a sensor behind the valve? anyone had any experience of this? Because only option is dealer now because most garages wont have a clue I dont think. Anyone know if it has sensors behind the valves as well? So within the tyre I guess?
I wouldn't say that it has been diagnosed - more like looked at and a few wild guesses.
On the first gen MINIs the ABS sensor is the run flat sensor. It fits into the each hub and
has a wire running to it.
The 2nd gen MINIs use a wireless pressure sensor on the inside of the valve/tire.
As you said it's an R50 that would mean a first gen MIN CooperI. If it's a 2007 or later cooper,
then it's an R56 (2nd gen) MINI Cooper.

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2011, 07:57 PM
MINI2 Privilege Member
Canned

Local Time: 02:43 AM
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

United States Male View MINIAC's Dark Silver & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile View MINIAC's MINI Features Album View MINIAC's MINI Showcase Slideshow View MINIAC's Classified Ads

Quote:
The 2nd gen MINIs use a wireless pressure sensor on the inside of the valve/tire.
I don't think that the UK has switched over to direct tire pressure monitoring yet.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2011, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

thanks cristo, but this has been said before, but if you look over the post, the first gens 01-02ish dont appear to use abs sensors, they have a runflat sensor on the drivers back wheel side. Its located inside the wheel arch. They then scrapped this and used abs sensor it seems, maybe my auto electrician guessed, I'm not sure. Problem is he said it is saying its an issue on the front, either flat or sensor broke. But there is no sensor there, I'm not even sure my car has ABS too, but it definitely has a sensor in the back (as pictured in the forum) so maybe it has both? The problem is so few people seem to know it actually has the runflat sensor itself in the back because its not on many models.

All I can do I guess is go to bmw dealer and see if they can shed any light on it, but I have the feeling they won't know exactly as its quite rare it seems. I have already replaced the switch and tried another runflat sensor (albeit second hand).
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 2016, 06:47 PM

Local Time: 09:43 AM
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom

Quote:
Back with the book in hand.

Early MINIs until 3/2002 have a separate RDW control module (RDW = tire pressure monitoring)
(part number 61 35 6 801 252 is pictured, but I can't verify that part number in realoem, etc.),
located in the right rear quarter panel, and in MINIs after 3/2002 ,
the RDW function is integrated in the ABS or ABS/DCS control module, located in the rear engine
compartment cowl area.

Hope it's not the ABS control module, as they're pretty pricey (1700-2100 for the whole unit , 700-1100 for the repair kit,
ABS is cheaper than ABS/DSC)

It could even be something as simple as a faulty reset switch.
You are a legend mate just took out back light drivers side and replaced the dws/rds unit it knocked out the orange light immediately when I switched ignition on
Thanks a million🚙
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 2018, 12:47 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 09:43 AM
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,

Please could you provide a step by step guild in removing the rear light and then replacing the dws/rds unit?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in