First Generation MINI Cooper MINI Cooper from 2001 - 2006

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 2018, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 08:31 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Garage
Cigarette lighter not working, do you fuse didnít help!

Hello everybody come off my first rate on here as a new member.
Purchased the car last week one of them is the cigarette lighter doesnít work, nor does it illuminate the little orange ring (I donít think the illuminated orange ring has any affect on the workings of the actual lighter).
Replaced the 15AMP fuse with a new one, although the old one still looked fine but was not genuine so had obviously been changed before, but it made no difference!
The socket its-self is quite loose and can be half pulled out the hole in the trim. I did initially try this to see if the wiring was okay behind it but it only comes out halfway and I canít check the underside of the socket itself.

I havenít checked the socket in the boot but I assume this runs on the same fuse so would be a simple test if that doesnít work either then maybe my replacement fuse was a dud?!

Iím struggling to find trim removal instructions to gain access to the underside of the socket as it looks like there is another round plastic ring attached to the socket underneath where when Iím trying to pull it up and through but itís too big to fit through a hole in the dash the for whole unit come out.

Anybody know of a way to get access to the underside of this to check the wiring, Iím assuming that would be the next logical step or possibly a lighter socket itself my need to be replaced if the wiring is fine ( I guess I will still need to remove centre console dash to get access to this anyway ).

Thanks for your help.

Ben

2001 Mini Cooper R50 (RC32)
British racing green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 2018, 09:13 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)

England Male

I had to do this to get at mine. But I was fitting one of these and had to enlarge the hole. It shows the voltage and provides 2 fast USB charge sockets.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180624_171741.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	226503   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010764.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	226505  
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 2018, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelK View Post
I had to do this to get at mine. But I was fitting one of these and had to enlarge the hole. It shows the voltage and provides 2 fast USB charge sockets.
That’s fantastic, thanks for the help.
Do you know what instructions you followed to get to that stage, that is exactly the stage I need to get to!
If follow instructions to remove the heater controls and radio, does this step have to be followed to get to that point, would be guide possibly?
What type of socket did you use out of interest as well? Does that dual USB plug straight into the existing connector ?

2001 Mini Cooper R50 (RC32)
British racing green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in