MINI Cooper Forum banner

The Aero Kit is on! (Update: Back Box also now fitted!)

9K views 39 replies 18 participants last post by  R99 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

Well today the guys down at Woodmans (thanks Chris and Dave) sorted out my Aero Kit. It looks fantastic, and I'm dead chuffed with it.

I'm sure everyone gets sick of threads like these, but its completley tranformed the look of the car, Im so happy with it all :D. The pictures really dont do it justice.

Before anyone says it, I know the exhaust looks daft! Woodmans were supposed to fit me a Cooper chrome tail finisher, so that the zaust filled the slash properly, but unfortuantley it would not fit. :mad:

So as a result I'm looking for a soloution. One of which being a new back box. Milltek sell a full exaust with a straight tail pipe, which looks rather :cool: So I'm just waiting to see if they sell the back box on its own. Otherwise its going to be £300+ for a full system. :aargh:

The exhuast situation has now been sorted, see further down for pics

Hope everyone likes it!

Regards,

James.

See less See more
#7 ·
Hi guys,

Well today the guys down at Woodmans (thanks Chris and Dave) sorted out my Aero Kit. It looks fantastic, and I'm dead chuffed with it.

I'm sure everyone gets sick of threads like these, but its completley tranformed the look of the car, Im so happy with it all :D. The pictures really dont do it justice.

Before anyone says it, I know the exhaust looks daft! Woodmans were supposed to fit me a Cooper chrome tail finisher, so that the zaust filled the slash properly, but unfortuantley it would not fit. :mad:

So as a result I'm looking for a soloution. One of which being a new back box. Milltek sell a full exaust with a straight tail pipe, which looks rather :cool: So I'm just waiting to see if they sell the back box on its own. Otherwise its going to be £300+ for a full system. :aargh:

Hope everyone likes it!

Regards,

James.
Glad to see you're liking the kit James, you'll end up getting a Milltek I'm sure ;)

Loving this pic...

#8 ·
Thanks for all the kind words guys.

Well a little update on the situation of the exaust... Milltek no longer make the ONE D exhaust. :(

But I am looking into having a custom back box made by PowerFlow, locally for around £300. :)

In the mean time though, Im so pleased with how the car looks. My mates cant beliweve how much different it appears to be..

Regards,

James.

#13 ·
Thanks again people. :) I've had lots of comments about it at work today, which was nice.

I'm taking it to a local place tommorow to get a quote for a custom back box. So hopefully the exhaust issue will be rectified very soon. :) :)

Regards,

James.

#14 ·
Good News!

The exhaust issue will be sorted on Tuesday morning!

I'm having a custom back box made and the following tail pipe fitted...

Its been done by PowerFlow exhuasts for £170 including fitting, so all in all not bad. The tail finisher was the best out of the three which would fit the car, and allthough you cant really see it in the pic, its kind of slash cut. However I will have another look at whats avliable when it goes in on Tuesday.

The web page below shows the full range of tail finishers, so if anyone thinks something else would look better, then post which one :)

PowerFlow Exhausts

Regards,

James.

#15 ·
Ok time to be annoying with more photos. The last lot were just quick jobbies to show the change.

I just nipped out and took these, pretty happy with them. :)

Regards,

James.

#17 ·
PowerFlow Back Box...

Ok guys.... good news.

The back box has been fitted today, and I'm pleased to report it looks fantastic. It has completely transformed the rear of the car, and no more stupid gap remains where the tail pipe should have been. :)

Here are some really rather shoking pics I just took on the drive, so that people can see the results.

I'll take some proper pics and post them later. :)

As you can see, I went for a different tail pipe in the end. The guy had just got this one in yesterday, and I like the look of it more than the previous one I had posted pics of. The quality of this one was also superior to the orginal choice. So all in all, I'm VERY happy with the look.

The sound is much improved over standard, at the end of the day diesels dont sound great, but it 'burbles' much more than it did previously. It also sounds rather throughty when you boot it. :)

Performance wise, its not much different to be honest. It *feels* like it might rev more freely, but that could just be psychological due to the sound.... either way, it was £160 very well spent.

Regards,

James.

#29 ·
Ok guys.... good news.

The back box has been fitted today, and I'm pleased to report it looks fantastic. It has completely transformed the rear of the car, and no more stupid gap remains where the tail pipe should have been. :)

Here are some really rather shoking pics I just took on the drive, so that people can see the results.

I'll take some proper pics and post them later. :)

As you can see, I went for a different tail pipe in the end. The guy had just got this one in yesterday, and I like the look of it more than the previous one I had posted pics of. The quality of this one was also superior to the orginal choice. So all in all, I'm VERY happy with the look.

The sound is much improved over standard, at the end of the day diesels dont sound great, but it 'burbles' much more than it did previously. It also sounds rather throughty when you boot it. :)

Performance wise, its not much different to be honest. It *feels* like it might rev more freely, but that could just be psychological due to the sound.... either way, it was £160 very well spent.

Regards,

James.
that looks ace matey!

Can't wait to see it in the flesh & hear what it sounds like :)

See you soon for the final addition :D

#19 ·
Thanks mate Thats a pretty cool accolade. :)

I never got into making changes with my previous (1st) car. But there is something about the MINI which really makes me want to keep adding to it. For now though I think its going to stay as it is. Maybe a Cooper S fuel cap this summer if I'm lucky, but nothing more. :)

Still got the aero spoiler to go on, hopefully Woodmans will get it in soon. :)

You not tempted to Aero yours? I think it would look fantastic...

Regards,

James.

#22 ·
James,

I have thought about putting the aero kit on it, I nearly (Should have) ordered it when I ordered the car, but I opted out. Trouble is now, I look at the cost of adding bit, and when the cost starts to get near the £1000 mark, I start thinking I may as well just swap it.

I'm really wanting a 'hot hatch' at the moment, and am swaying towards the idea of a R56 CooperS (Now it does 40mpg) with Aero more each week, then I realise it would cost me nearly 20k to get what I want, and the idea gets put to the back of my mind for a few hours!!! Blimey, I was very tempted by a Focus ST3 (15mpg) last week when I took a colleagues car to the Ford dealer for a service!!!

Now i've just spelled it out, I think it would be cheaper to get the Aero, your right - and the S filler cap to go with it of course hehe!:D

#23 ·
Y/B One D, sounds like your leaning to the aero kit then! :D :D I was pretty worried about spending £1000 + on the kit but when I collected my car I was so pleased with it, that all the worries dissapeared. Just the Aero Spoiler left and then it will be complete.

If you get the kit, would you go for a back box like I have (£160) or try and fit a chrome tail end to the existing system? I think given that your car is remapped, the back box would be a cool idea, plus it sounds MUCH better over standard. :)

If you dont want to spend £1000 +, then have you looked at the MINIsport kit, or the mstylemini kit?

MstyleMINI are doing it for £899 painted and fitted, plus £225 for the Aero spoiler painted and fitted. (but thinking about it, I paid less than that at Woodmans for the kit and spoiler)

However if you are handy with a spanner, then its £560 supplied, plus £125 for the spoiler. Which is VERY cheap!!

Let me know if you do decide to get the Aero...

Regards,

James.

#28 ·
Thanks mate :smile:

I have allready changed the headlamp bulbs to the halfords super brilliance range, which are supposedly 50% brighter, the colour in the headlamps is very 'white' compared to the spot lamp's bulbs which appear more yellowy. Or did you mean something different?

I agree on the suggestion of the front indicators, while I'm at it I'll probably get some whiter side light bulbs too. :D

James.

James,

Not heard of the MstyleMINI kit or the MINIsport kit, will have to research them. I've always thought though with MINI stuff, I'd always rather go for the 'pukka' BMW made products if they are available, and just save up for another month to pay the extra! I would defenitely go for the exhaust as well, it really finishes yours off nicely, and would probably have to go for the 'S' rear spoiler as well. As for doing a DIY with the kit, i'd be worried about dropping/scratching something, and would end up getting it fitted anyway!

Thanks for providing prices etc in your last post, very helpful,:cool:

Cheers, Simon
No worries Simon, anytime.

The Aero Kits offered by MstyleMINI are genuine BMW items, (according to their website) just somehow they can sell them cheaper. However bear in mind that their painted and fitted price is not any cheaper than the Woodmans group buy. I decided to get it from Woodmans really because I get the two year warranty and peace of mind knowing it was done by MINI.

The Aero Kit offered by MINI sport is also a genuine BMW item, however it is the American spec kit, with the 'daytime running' lights built into the black arch trims. Personally I do not like these, so again I opted out. But once again, its a cracking deal if you dont mind the lights. It is worth noting though that the kit from MINISport does not come with the aero spoiler.

Oh and to give you further idea of price, my custom back box was £160 including VAT and fitting. It took them two hours, so the price was very fair IMHO. It was made by PowerFlow

Powerflow Exhausts UK Ltd- Stainless steel exhausts systems. Powerflow produces one of the worlds finest ranges of universal fit stainless steel products. Powerflow is the company where you choose the layout, sound and appearance for your system and

Regards,

James.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.