MINI Cooper Forum banner

How do you get a small number plate on the front Aero bumper?

7K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Mini-Trainer 
#1 ·
Hi guys. :smile:

Well following on from my previous thread, the documentation has arrived for R99 JOL. So I need to get the transfer done tommorow or friday in Preston and get a set of plates made up.

I have seen quite a few MINI's with small plates on the front and IMO it makes the front end look very :cool:

So I was wondering if anybody could tell me how to make a small numperplate fit. The reason I ask is because my front aero bumper has a 'backing plate' which the current number plate sits on, and putting a small numberplate on it wouldnt look right as black plastic would remain. I presume this would need to be removed or shortened, but how? If I did this would exisiting drill holes be visible?

Any help would be much appreciated, I have tried searching but nothing seemed to come up.

Oh and what size would I require? Fancy Plates have a small front bumper listed as 390mm X 84mm. Is that right?

Regards,

James.

See less See more
#3 ·
it all depends how small the plate will be, my 6 digit plate was so small the existing screw holes were visible either side of my new plate,
To make the plate holder smaller, measure the the plate length you need to leave 12mm either end of the letters to keep it legal ;) you need to cut the section out of the centre of the plate holder, I then glued it together, then sprayed the holder matt black,
I used a hacksaw and file to trim both the plate and holder,

#5 ·
Mine fit onto the Aerokit no problems, took off the black surround and attached it on with sticky pads.

The previous holes should'nt pose a problem on a black Mini, I had the garage fill my holes back in because they'd made a right tit of the job with the self tappers.
As suggestions go in obtaining a smaller plate I would try graffix sign shops or reg plate sites on the interenet.

Rams

#6 ·
My backing plate unfortunatley has been drilled in three places into the bumper. The centre, and the edges. So if I removed the holder then I'll have the screw holes on show.

Rams, how would I get them filled in?

James.

#9 ·
looking at putting a new private reg on mine and also 4 spot lights .(got an aero kit on). due to the debate on over heating when putting 4 spots on i was going to move the number plate holder higher up the front bumper, just a couple of inches to increase air flow into the botttom of the radiator .is there a legal max height on where i put it? has anyone done it? do i need to do it -has anyone out there got 4 spots on had any bother with over heating ?

#10 ·
I had mine from http://www.craigsplates.com/order/plate.php and the size was 16 1/8" x 4 3/8"(410mm x 122mm). I used sticky pads to attach mine also. I would recomend taking your plate off and measuring the holes to see if this size plate would cover the existing holes, then you can remove the backing plate completely and wont need to be filling and painting your bumper or cutting the backing plate. I also raised my plate to aid airflow through the bottom grill.
Hope this helps
Richard.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.