First Generation MINI Exterior 2001 - 2006

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2018, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 12:24 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Help with Reverse Lighting

Hello to all on the forum. Just looking for a little advice and trying to make sense of a situation. Iíve scoured the web relatively far and canít seem to find any useful information. My girlfriendís 03 base model convertible shuts off whenever reverse is engaged. By shuts off I mean that the engine dies as does the A/C and headlights. This is a completely new problem as of today and I canít make sense of it, Iíve read of a reverse switch that could possibly be the culprit but I donít want to jump to conclusions. She was able to push the car out of the parking spot and make it home and upon her arrival I noticed the reverse bulb on the passengerís side was loose so Iím thinking simple fix. After replacing the aforementioned bulb the problem persist, just doesnít seem like it could be the reverse switch with the bulb coming out of place at what Iím assuming is the same time....way too coincidental if so. Any help is greatly appreciated.i have a video of whatís happening but canít figure out how to post it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2018, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Anyone?

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2018, 07:21 AM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanB2323 View Post
Anyone?
only way forward is diagnostic plug in as its a mk1 can use inpa on it access gearbox and read the ecu, it will deffo have codes to read, as suspect there is a deeper problem with auto box and by it switching it all off is trying to protect it self,, auto tend to do this with car ecu as so much more damage or could be dangerous for it to fail on the move as such,, the reversing light is controlled by a switch on gearbox but is also directed to body control module,, maybe this is where the connection on it really is or maybe its a gear box fault the body control module is dealing with as such, eitherway only way forward is a diagnostics scan that cover these ecu's

good tuners/repairs in southwest uk top guys 01579388980
good tuner/ecu body control clones etc lancaster up north uk DALE PHONE NUMBER 07807 222262 top guy.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2018, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Thank you for the response. I should have clarified in my OP but the car is a 5spd, I can toggle into reverse freely without the car running and the car has never had any problems going into gear so I’m doubtful that the gearbox itself is the culprit although as with anything it’s possible I guess.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 2018, 08:06 AM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanB2323 View Post
Thank you for the response. I should have clarified in my OP but the car is a 5spd, I can toggle into reverse freely without the car running and the car has never had any problems going into gear so Iím doubtful that the gearbox itself is the culprit although as with anything itís possible I guess.
sorry i thought you were talking about auto gearbox, so no dont think reversing light bulb has any impact on stopping the engine, as its a 5 speed gearbox its possible that something has gone south with the bearings that hold the reverse and forward gears as to lock up gear box maybe that would just stop the engine.. would drop the oil out of gearbox first job in a clean container then leave it to settle for a hour or two then have a look in the bottom see if any lumps of metal in it which would be a clear reading of gearbox dead, the 5 speed in the pre 54 plate cars were really bad for killing them selves, the later 5 speed were a little better, the 6 speed was the best not saying indestructible as nothing is but so much better,, bmw never helped this by saying gearbox oil is life of car so dont change the oil,, really stupid thing to do,,, or as a future money making plan maybe it was really clever for the share holders.. at the future owners expense

good tuners/repairs in southwest uk top guys 01579388980
good tuner/ecu body control clones etc lancaster up north uk DALE PHONE NUMBER 07807 222262 top guy.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 2018, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

It doesn’t only stop the motor but all other dash lights, ac, headlights go out too. Really seems electrical because it’s happening before the shift lever has even engaged the gear. May swap the tranny fluid though because it couldn’t hurt anything.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 2018, 08:20 PM
cristo

Local Time: 08:24 AM
Quoted: 37 Post(s)

United States Male View cristo's Hot Chocolate & Silver 2nd Gen MINI John Cooper Works Clubman Profile

Garage
I would check that the shift bracket isn’t
contacting something like a nearby frayed
harness, connector or wire. Take a look
at the cables and anything else that moves
when you have someone throw the shifter
into reverse.
You may have to take the battery box and/or
ecu box out to see things clearly.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2018, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristo View Post
I would check that the shift bracket isnít
contacting something like a nearby frayed
harness, connector or wire. Take a look
at the cables and anything else that moves
when you have someone throw the shifter
into reverse.
You may have to take the battery box and/or
ecu box out to see things clearly.
Thank you, Iím thinking the shifter itself may be shorting out a wire after reading this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in