Mini One R52 mystery disappearing coolant - PLEASE help! - Page 2 - MINI Cooper Forum

First Generation MINI One MINI One from 2001 - 2006

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2017, 11:05 AM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 02:03 PM
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)

England Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyC View Post
Also, I wouldn't bother with using the cars menus to get the coolant temperature. This is a leak issue not an overheating issue.
Agree Johnny, which is why I prefaced my post "Not an answer to your problem". Just thought, if it was mine, I'd want to have a gander at when, how quick, how much, thermostat opening and so on. An 'as well' not an 'instead'.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2017, 05:59 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milpol View Post
Did they make a Mini One R52 ? I was under the impression they only made the R52 and R52 S.
They did make an r52 One in 2004

The op has an r50 By the looks.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Milpol likes this.

post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2017, 08:46 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

See my next post

Last edited by Rod the Bod; Sep 26th, 2017 at 07:48 AM. Reason: More comprehensive answer

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2017, 07:44 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

DIY Find a water leak

Hmm well to find the leak grab an ultraviolet endowed torch (Available from Ebay for a couple of bucks) then lift your bonnet when it's dark around the car. Don't be scared. Then shine the torch at the engine and low and behold the leak will show up as a very strong fluorescent green color. You see there is a fluorescent dye that is mixed with the coolant liquid and when it's hit by the ultraviolet light beam will spring to life and emit photons that make the leak glow. Now you know where the coolant is going. My bet is a cylinder head gasket on the right hand corner of the engine about 6 " down.
NigelK likes this.

Last edited by Rod the Bod; Sep 26th, 2017 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Mis spelled
Thanks for this post from:
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2017, 11:05 AM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)

England Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod the Bod View Post
Hmm well to find the leak grab an ultraviolet endowed torch (Available from Ebay for a couple of bucks) then lift your bonnet when it's dark around the car. Don't be scared. Then shine the torch at the engine and low and behold the leak will show up as a very strong fluorescent green color. You see there is a fluorescent dye that is mixed with the coolant liquid and when it's hit by the ultraviolet light beam will spring to life and emit photons that make the leak glow. Now you know where the coolant is going. My bet is a cylinder head gasket on the right hand corner of the engine about 6 " down.
Great post Rod, thanks. Haven't got any leeks, but need one, want to give this a try.
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2017, 12:37 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Hi, Im sorry to tell you that I had the exact same problem.

I changed the thermostat, the coolant cap, the coolant reservoir. When my car was running I noticed a bubble coming out the coolant reservoir.

When I stopped the engine, the coolant on the reservoir was totally consumed.

Im sorry to tell you that it was the head gasket blown. Apparently it was a minor leak that produced some gas bubbles into the cooling system provoking the coolant to boil at some points.

You should not worry about it, the gaskets kit is not too expensive (around 100$) and after they fix it it was running just fine.
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2017, 06:07 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampante2 View Post
Hi, Im sorry to tell you that I had the exact same problem.

I changed the thermostat, the coolant cap, the coolant reservoir. When my car was running I noticed a bubble coming out the coolant reservoir.

When I stopped the engine, the coolant on the reservoir was totally consumed.

Im sorry to tell you that it was the head gasket blown. Apparently it was a minor leak that produced some gas bubbles into the cooling system provoking the coolant to boil at some points.

You should not worry about it, the gaskets kit is not too expensive (around 100$) and after they fix it it was running just fine.
and a sniff test would tell straight away

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags: , ,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in