LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2019, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 03:02 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

that ******* Midland gearbox AGAIN.....

Hello all.

2002 Mini One. Bought 3 years ago with 74000 on clock, now 107000. No apparent problems at all with gear box (no noise, no problems getting into/jumping out of gear apart from reverse) until last week when suddenly developed fast rattle from front when not under load, and oil leak seemingly from box which rapidly got serious. Garage on preliminary investigation thinks oil leak may be from hole in bellhousing (which will cause problems when trying to get an exchange recon?). So need replacement box. Recommended suppliers and any advice?

thanks in advance
cheers
Ian

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2019, 03:27 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdograilroad View Post
Hello all.

2002 Mini One. Bought 3 years ago with 74000 on clock, now 107000. No apparent problems at all with gear box (no noise, no problems getting into/jumping out of gear apart from reverse) until last week when suddenly developed fast rattle from front when not under load, and oil leak seemingly from box which rapidly got serious. Garage on preliminary investigation thinks oil leak may be from hole in bellhousing (which will cause problems when trying to get an exchange recon?). So need replacement box. Recommended suppliers and any advice?

thanks in advance
cheers
Ian
stick a 6 speed conversion in it ie secondhand box with gear lever and cables etc, flywheel and clutch, mat on here has one complete form a cooper s i know he wont take the P on prices by far a better way forward,, or if want private message we and i'l pass on his number to you

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2019, 11:22 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We did a 6 speed conversion and used a dmf and the right clutch, the car was very sluggish, handy for my 19 year old, but it was no fun to drive and I wouldn’t recommend it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2019, 12:42 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Swaysland View Post
We did a 6 speed conversion and used a dmf and the right clutch, the car was very sluggish, handy for my 19 year old, but it was no fun to drive and I wouldn’t recommend it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
they do drive different ie the 6th gear is more of a over drive gear ie a bonus gear for motorways, drive in 1 to 5 more revs around the windy bits its liveable with, but still need to think about the bhp and torque differences between the 170bhp cooper s and the 115bhp of the r50 non charged car. and where max power is made, ie non charged engines use more revs thatn a charged engine to meet peak power and revs. ie try driving car to 4k in all lower gears as a target and not use 6th other than on a motorway or flat big road,, its a pain as the 5 speed boxes are just waiting to fail. the 6 speed is designed to take extra power,, the answer will always be get rid of non charged car if speed is what needed,, buy r53

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in