MINI Suspension from 2001 - 2006

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2018, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 06:55 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

R53 Rear ARB Bushes - Not Available?

I am having some issues tracing a noise from my 2006 R53 Checkmate which I have posted over on the Faults and Fixes sub forum.

Shortly after buying it I went to replace the rear ARB bushes and on arrival at my local BMW dealer was told that they aren't available for the R53 anymore. As you can see below, RealOEM says the same thing. That specific setup included both the bushes and the 4 bolts for the retainers.

When I pressed them, they conferred with one of the mechanics/technicians what they used as an alternative and the advice was R56 bushes. So I bought some, and on fitting them seemed to fit perfectly. They are sized for 17mm, the part no is 33556756151 and they were just over 13 for a pair.

Because of the issues I've covered in my other thread I am now wondering if these bushes are the culprit. So what have other used on the rear ARB of their R53? I wanted to keep it OEM so at the time this seemed the sensible and cost effective option. Has anybody fitted R56 rear ARB bushes to their R53 with no issues?

Last edited by James_G; Oct 20th, 2018 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2018, 08:18 PM
MINI2 Regular

Quoted: 51 Post(s)

Spain Male

Going by Ebay there are 16mm and 17mm advertised for an R53. Powerfelx offer both sizes for R53. For the price, I would go for 16mm simply to rule out any doubt.

Cooper 2009, R57.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2018, 04:07 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)

England Male

The standard rear bar on my 2005 R53 is 17mm. Measured it with a vernier. I've upgraded mine to a 20mm Whiteline 3 way adjustable rear ARB. Better turn-in and handling. So the standard bushes should be 17mm. It can't be beyond the wit of man to put a vernier on it and measure it, surely?

I had a dreadful clonking more recently from the rear of my car. Any irregularity, bump - clonk, clonk, clonk. Driving me mad. I thought for a while it was the exhaust hitting the body somewhere. It turned out to be the ball joint at the top end of the O/S ARB drop link. Off the car, you can't feel ANY play in at all. Feels identical to the one off the other side which wasn't clonking. Replaced that one, and the other one for good luck. Gone, sorted.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2018, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Thank you both. For reference I do have a 17mm ARB but it wouldn't be right to assume that everybody has access to a set of vernier calipers. I do, but mine have recently failed (cheap digital ones) and I much as I'd like to drop 150 on a Digimatic set from Mitutoyo it isn't worth it for the few times a year they get used.

Perhaps I wasn't clear this question was about whether others, when using the standard ARB, have had the same advice from BMW (in this case use R56 ones), or whether people have moved to Powerflex (or other) aftermarket brands. That was because I find it odd that BMW effectively no longer list ARB bushes for R53s especially as they seem to need to be swapped out regularly.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 2018, 03:40 PM
MINI2 Senior

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male View ExclusiveWorkshops's Classified Ads

Garage
that's the value line kit that's ended, I'd have though the singles were still available, but like many, I went to an aftermarket bar much bigger at 25.5mm, never looked back.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2018, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExclusiveWorkshops View Post
that's the value line kit that's ended, I'd have though the singles were still available, but like many, I went to an aftermarket bar much bigger at 25.5mm, never looked back.

More to do by BMW here as singles not listed, hence why I was told that I needed to use ones from an R56.

To bring this thread to a close, I have eliminated the ARB and its associated bushings as the source of my noise, meaning that I am confident that R56 and R53 OEM 17mm bushing are interchangeable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags: , ,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in