post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 2019, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 09:16 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

United Kingdom

Tie Rods Facelift R50

Hi
Just a quick question if anyone is in the know...

I was replacing the tie rod ends - just the outer part, not inner - managed to do one (the one with a torn boot), came to the second one (nearside), managed to get all bolts loose, but the tie rod end would not budge at all.

In my attempts this has pretty much rounded off the inner rod flat spots near the boot.

Will the whole tie rod - both parts - ideally need replacing now or will a garage still be able to get them apart to replace and do alignment?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 2019, 04:22 PM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 08:16 AM
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticControl View Post
Hi
Just a quick question if anyone is in the know...

I was replacing the tie rod ends - just the outer part, not inner - managed to do one (the one with a torn boot), came to the second one (nearside), managed to get all bolts loose, but the tie rod end would not budge at all.

In my attempts this has pretty much rounded off the inner rod flat spots near the boot.

Will the whole tie rod - both parts - ideally need replacing now or will a garage still be able to get them apart to replace and do alignment?

Thanks.
could put 2 or more molgrips on it as many as needed to grip the shaft, would also try a heat gun or better still gas burner induce heat in to it helps metal to expand. link below for what i mean about grips to use
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...grips&_sacat=0
or remove the arm off the steering rack and use a vice

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 2019, 04:26 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

A pair of stilstons will grip the rod and will not slip unlike molegrips.

Gerry

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 2019, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom

Thanks for the replies, molegrips was what i was using, wedged on the wishbone, but they ended up losing grip. I don't have anything I could use to heat it up.

Sounds like a garage will be able to free it up still though, which is good, I'm having 2 new front tyres put on Saturday and alignment done, so I'll get them to fit the remaining tie rod end.

Just needed to know if I should purchase the inner rod too in case I rounded it off too much, but I'll hold off for now and see if the garage manages.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 2019, 04:57 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticControl View Post
Thanks for the replies, molegrips was what i was using, wedged on the wishbone, but they ended up losing grip. I don't have anything I could use to heat it up.

Sounds like a garage will be able to free it up still though, which is good, I'm having 2 new front tyres put on Saturday and alignment done, so I'll get them to fit the remaining tie rod end.

Just needed to know if I should purchase the inner rod too in case I rounded it off too much, but I'll hold off for now and see if the garage manages.
the inners do wear over time anyway so worth doing both sides then get it tracked once and once pay for it once as leaving old joints undone always runs risk of future bills to do it twice, and the cost of a track control arms worth doing, i always lean to replacing as much as looks worn that might cause issue later or might need replacing and once again another tracking bill

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 2019, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1967 View Post
the inners do wear over time anyway so worth doing both sides then get it tracked once and once pay for it once as leaving old joints undone always runs risk of future bills to do it twice, and the cost of a track control arms worth doing, i always lean to replacing as much as looks worn that might cause issue later or might need replacing and once again another tracking bill
Yeah I've already replaced the control arm bushes and inner and outer ball joints last year, that's how the tie rod end boot got damaged....(oops) but i put it off for a bit and then forgot about it until recently.

I have wear on both inside edges of the front tyres hence the alignment now.

I know I should have done inner tie rods too, I usually would whilst I'm in there, but time and money didn't really allow right now unfortunately.
I just noticed when doing an oil change earlier this week there was play in one of the front wheels so wanted to get the tie rod ends done quick as already booked car in for tyres.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in