LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2012, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 11:15 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United States

United-States Mini Cooper S with Dinan Stage 3 Engine Software

Hey guys, I just recently purchased a used 2003 Mini Cooper S with s stage 3 Dinan software upgrade. I cant seem to find anything about what this stage 3 upgrade does? Does anybody have any ideas?

I also should note that the car has a Dinan cold air intake, 15% pulley, and Magnaflow exhaust, running on 18 inch rims. I have been panicking because I'm only averaging 24mpg, whereas I am reading other MCS drivers are averaging well over 30. I dont have bad driving habbits, I generally never rev past 4000rpm and try and shift by 3000rpm and drive fairly conservatively. I have diven a full tank only on highway driving averaging about 70-80mph and still cant seem to get over 24mph.

So basically I was wondering if all these upgrades are why my car is getting such low mpg. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2012, 06:41 AM
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 08:15 AM

United Kingdom Male View Railgun's Classified Ads

Www dianancars dot com/shop/D903-16R3-Stage-3-Engine-Software dot aspx#page=1

If it's mapped a little more aggressively for light throttle it's possible. Best to contact them to see exactly where the map is changed.

Sorry for the link format. Can't post 'em properly yet.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2012, 04:06 PM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 09:15 AM
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)

Estonia Male View Caveman's Classified Ads

According to Dinan's website ...
Quote:
Stage 3 Engine Software is for use with the Dinan High Flow Cowl Induction Intake, optimizing performance and drivability.
I doubt this software takes into account the reduction pulley on the supercharger.

You'd probably be better off with a stock map. If remapping, get a custom one done.

What size tires are you running? With 215/35-18 tires the engine will be turning over 2900 rpm when going 70 mph on the highway

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2012, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

United States

Caveman, you nailed it... at about 70mph on the highway, Im at about 2700-2900rpm in 6th gear riding on I believe 240/35/18 tires (not sure about the 240). Do you think the stage 3 upgrade is actually having a negative effect on my fuel consumption or could it just be the tires and rims being so large and heavy?

Railgun, I tried going to Dinan site and all i get is this basic and lame explanation of the stage 3 upgrade. I tried the link you provided but it does not show up anymore, regardless, Im pretty sure thats the same thing I had found about the stage 3 upgrade.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 2012, 01:08 AM
MINI2 Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazman3 View Post
... riding on I believe 240/35/18 tires (not sure about the 240).
The tire width ends in a "5". Most likely they are a 215 width. If they're wider than you have a lot of rubber on the road

Quote:
Do you think the stage 3 upgrade is actually having a negative effect on my fuel consumption or could it just be the tires and rims being so large and heavy?
Other than fleecing people's wallets, I'm not sure why Dinan thought an ECU remap was necessary for their cold air intake. The JCW air box (similar to Dinan's) doesn't require one. In fact a remap isn't even really required when fitting a 15% reduction pulley as the ECU will adapt.

I'd say the Stage 3 Software, as advertised, isn't appropriate for the mods on your car, but I can't say what effect it's having on fuel consumption. You might want to find a good independent MINI mechanic to give your engine a health check (check for codes, check compression, etc).
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 2012, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

United States

Thanks Caveman, I actually do know a very good mechanic in my area who specializes in Mini Cooper work. I feel like the stage 3 upgrade just makes it more capable of handling higher revs and a wilder driving style.

What do you mean when you say ECU remap, Im not so familiar with some of these terms as I am still learning.

Can I go from a stage 3 engine mod back to stock? Do you think it would be a waste to go from Dinan Stage 3 back to stock?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 2012, 04:13 PM
MINI2 Master

What the Dinan Software does is remap the ECU ... change timing or fueling parameters, raise the redline, etc.

Only Dinan can tell you what parameters they've changed and whether the software is appropriate for the mods on your car. Using an inappropriate remap could result in poor gas mileage or possibly damage the engine.

You'd have to take it to a dealer to have the ECU reflashed to the stock mapping. You might want to consider a custom tune which involves having your car's ECU remapped on a dyno. You can ask for tuner recommendations on North American Motoring.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 2012, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

United States

Thanks so much for all the advice caveman. I've never had a dyno exam done to my car. Are they expensive? Is it a lengthy process?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 2012, 09:39 PM
MINI2 Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazman3 View Post
I've never had a dyno exam done to my car. Are they expensive? Is it a lengthy process?
If you have a custom remap done, the cost of the dyno runs is usually included in the price of the remap. I have no idea how long a custom tune takes.

The only other time you'd put your car on a dyno is if you're curious as to how much power it's putting out.

You really need to contact Dinan to ask them if their tune is appropriate for the mods you have on your car and see if they have any explanation as to why your highway mileage is that low.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags: , , , ,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in