• 1 Post By mike1967

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2018, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 11:53 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)

United Kingdom

Anyone with an ECU re-map, what effect has it had on MPG?

Hi,

I've read many claims from ECU re-mapping services about the amount of additional BHP and improved MPG that their re-maps will bring. Is the MPG improvement likely or just bul... marketing speak?

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has actually had a re-map done (R50 / R53?) and what difference if any, it made to fuel efficiency one way or the other.

"extra performance and better miles per gallon" sounds too goo to be true.

Thanks,

Steve

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2018, 04:34 PM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 10:53 PM
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveharman View Post
Hi,

I've read many claims from ECU re-mapping services about the amount of additional BHP and improved MPG that their re-maps will bring. Is the MPG improvement likely or just bul... marketing speak?

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has actually had a re-map done (R50 / R53?) and what difference if any, it made to fuel efficiency one way or the other.

"extra performance and better miles per gallon" sounds too goo to be true.

Thanks,

Steve
the theory is remap helps engine to get up to speed faster and use less fuel by shorter times from zero to 60 say,
reality is all maps effect the way the ecu works out mpg on its own computer ie the mpg gauge on the dash is wrong. ie registers like it doing more mpg, reality they dont,
reality is also when mapping a car you turning up fuel and boost and timing by around 20% but takes 20% more energy to make these figures,, so if someone drives the same way before and after a map chances are more fuel will be used..
but if change the way you use the throttle pedal and gears to suit more power map its poss to stay in higher gears for longer and more so on hills and can get better mpg from it,
try this next time go for a run on same road you use all the time, set the trip and fill car with fuel to top of tank, then drive car normally after the trip brim car take mileage and work out what its used,,, next time do that trip do the same brim tank set trip this time use the cruise control as much as can for the whole journey,,, then brim tank and work out fuel used,, i bet you will be amazed on how better mpg is by letting the car work out how much throttle and when on cruise control..

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mike1967 For This Useful Post:
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2018, 05:17 PM
MINI2 Privilege Member Has met Quack Quack Jack
Sour Mash

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Garage
I have read after a remap it’s economical to accelerate up to a speed say 75 then engine brake down to 55 rinse and repeat,

Related to the little power required to build up speed which is more than offset by the power saved while engine braking

Is this true? Obviously only do it if there is no traffic behind you

2002 Mini Cooper R50, purchased Nov 2016

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2018, 05:35 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackdaniel View Post
I have read after a remap it’s economical to accelerate up to a speed say 75 then engine brake down to 55 rinse and repeat,

Related to the little power required to build up speed which is more than offset by the power saved while engine braking

Is this true? Obviously only do it if there is no traffic behind you
balance a egg on the bonnet of the car and drive to keep there no more than 50mph as wind resistance after 50mph is so much more according to some tests done on hgv trucks in the past which when think about would make sense, all sudden throttle movements to floor are bad for mpg, also when stopping keep in gear until the very last moment as modern cars switch off fuelling when this is done,, or drive it on cruise control and most cars will work it out from there, low revs least gear changes and no stopping completely all add to more mpg,,,
or one day i'm buying a hybrid car 4 solar panels and a 8 car battery's and a 24volt to 240v invert-er and charging it for free some of the time might even add a wind turbine on a poll as well.
Jackdaniel likes this.

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2018, 08:53 PM
MINI2 Privilege Member Has met Quack Quack Jack
Sour Mash

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Garage
I was in a Toyota showroom recently and they had a Prius hybrid with solar panels on the roof, seems the logical thing to do to make use of the roof space, the guy said they only add 1 mile to electric range assuming it’s left outside the office on average 9 hour day

Still if it’s parked outside at home as well I guess it adds up to several hundred miles a year

2002 Mini Cooper R50, purchased Nov 2016
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2018, 07:57 AM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackdaniel View Post
I was in a Toyota showroom recently and they had a Prius hybrid with solar panels on the roof, seems the logical thing to do to make use of the roof space, the guy said they only add 1 mile to electric range assuming it’s left outside the office on average 9 hour day

Still if it’s parked outside at home as well I guess it adds up to several hundred miles a year
solar panels have different outputs based on size and number of cells and whether the cells are in parallel or series as one creates voltage and the other creates amps car roof at present is not big enough to make much power, 4 full size panels feed in to a storage area ie 4-8 big truck batteries will store the power made in the day time so when come home from work can use a 240volt car changer to recharge the car off the stored power in the batteries,,, via a invert-er that inverts 24v dc to 230volt ac
A solar panel's output is expressed in watts. On average, a domestic solar panel has a power output of around 265 watts, although it can range anywhere from as little as 225 watts to more than 350 watts. The higher the wattage of a solar panel, the more electricity it can produce under the same conditions.

To calculate how much electricity a solar panel will produce in a day, you simply have to multiply its wattage by the number of sunlight hours. For example, a home in Cambridge with a 280 watt solar panel that receives 4 hours of sunshine will generate 1,120 watt-hours (Wh) or 1.1 kilowatt-hours (kWh) of electricity that day (280 x 4). In contrast, if that same home had a 320 watt solar panel, it would be able to produce 1,280Wh or 1.2kWh of power on that same day (320 x 4).

most cars take 4.000kwh its working out much storage would be needed to run a 6k inverter even if with 4 panels you get a 50% charge in one day most people prob dont use that up anyway,, and its 50% for free after the gear has been paid for,,
Jackdaniel likes this.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2018, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 11:53 PM
Quoted: 31 Post(s)

United Kingdom

Thanks as ever @mike1967 - I now have a better understanding of this. Which always seems to happen after reading your replies! :-)

Cheers,

Steve
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2018, 08:53 AM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveharman View Post
Thanks as ever @mike1967 - I now have a better understanding of this. Which always seems to happen after reading your replies! :-)

Cheers,

Steve
pleasure glad to have helped

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2018, 10:16 AM
cristo

Local Time: 06:53 PM
Quoted: 37 Post(s)

United States Male View cristo's Hot Chocolate & Silver 2nd Gen MINI John Cooper Works Clubman Profile

Garage
Bluefin on my previous 2003 R50 - no noticeable effect on mpg, slightly better throttle response, a little more power in the 5K-6.5K rpm band.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in