MINI Cooper Forum banner

Oil Pressure Light After Oil Change

10K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  mike1967 
#1 ·
We changed the oil on a 2004 Mini/Auto Trans and the oil pressure light came on at restart. We have removed and reinstalled filter, attempted to reset computer. Any ideas or comments? :(

#5 ·
OK, Houston we got a problem. How about the oil pressure sender connnector? Have you checked that it has not come undone for some reason? It should be to the left of the oil filter. Of course I am assuming the oil level is good, right?

Also, you are positive that you installed both the plastic sleeve and the spring within the filter cannister?

#6 ·
Oil Pressure Light Resolved

Thank you for the input.
My wife dowloaded the instructions for the Cooper S and threw away the plastic sleeve with the filter. ProMini's web site had a warning for the Cooper's, I found the sleeve, installed it and no Oil Pressure Light.

#10 ·
Thank you for the input.
My wife dowloaded the instructions for the Cooper S and threw away the plastic sleeve with the filter. ProMini's web site had a warning for the Cooper's, I found the sleeve, installed it and no Oil Pressure Light.
you were so lucky seen a fair few people make that mistake and trash their engine only takes a few minutes of limited oil pressure to hurt it. i would do a oil pressure check if was you before driving it around just incase,, as at this early stage changing bearings would be a easy fix if the white metal has been damaged in any way,, common issue with lack of oil

#8 ·
My problem seems worse!

I too carried out an oil change on a Mini one 2003 1.6ltr and after found the oil light was coming on - unlike the other gent on here the plastic sleeve had broken so first tried without the sleeve and of course got the low pressure light - tried to buy a new sleeve from mini only to find i can't buy one and had to buy a new design of housing - but still the light stays on. I have replaced the Oil pressure switch - no change - changed the wire (I read that this can become damaged as it rubs the heat protection around the exhaust) - still no change - found the rocker gasket leaking (re-newed) still no change - I am at a loss PLEASE anyone got an idea of what to do next?

#9 ·
fixed and happy !!!!!

It would appear that - in my case the modified cap is not a suitable replacement - I have managed to find an old plastic cage type cap from a car breakers and put that on the car and it fixed the problem - just be careful before swapping parts for new modified parts - it might always be wise to replace like for like.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.