LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2018, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 05:26 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Ireland Male

Few Problems

Just bought a R53 Jcw Saturday, have just got it back from getting the brake pads replaced. I never properly drove it until today.

One problem that kinda scares me is when I was up a high speed, 160kmh or above, only briefly I could get a burning smell! Any idea on what that could be?

I also know there is an oil seal that need replacing, maybe that could be the reason? The mechanic said the oil seal has it be got from manufacturer, so just ring a dealer and get them to get it?

This could be nothing and just normal for it, but i was sitting in the car getting it washed and while idling the rpm was going up and down a tiny bit causing the car to shake a little. This could be normal just making sure!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2018, 03:37 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by OisinMurray View Post
Just bought a R53 Jcw Saturday, have just got it back from getting the brake pads replaced. I never properly drove it until today.

One problem that kinda scares me is when I was up a high speed, 160kmh or above, only briefly I could get a burning smell! Any idea on what that could be?

I also know there is an oil seal that need replacing, maybe that could be the reason? The mechanic said the oil seal has it be got from manufacturer, so just ring a dealer and get them to get it?

This could be nothing and just normal for it, but i was sitting in the car getting it washed and while idling the rpm was going up and down a tiny bit causing the car to shake a little. This could be normal just making sure!

Thanks.
did he say which oil seal, as there are two that are a big job to replace, ie rear crankshaft oil seal, or gearbox input oil seal both with need the gear box removing, if oil leaking from under between the bell housing and engine block and is dripping down it will get pushed up under the car and ht the exhaust this will give a oil burning smell, as for idle hunting up and down so many things can cause this, first off a smoke test on the inlet pipe work see if any cracks of holes in it, it thats passes then diagnostic scan see whats hidden away, if no codes then live data run see what 02 sensor is doing and boost etc and also will show any misfires etc, common things are 02 sensors throttle bodys super charger bypass valve thats the little lever vacuum controlled valve on the ss can stick worth first off wd40 it all over and work it in and out with hand or screw driver

OisinMurray likes this.

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2018, 12:30 AM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)

England Male

Good stuff from Mike. First off, I'd clean/power wash it off underneath, sump etc. get it really clean and then check to see where it is getting oily. Mine looked awful when I got it, at 97,000 miles. Power washed, actually not leaking too badly ..... for an R53. This is it at its annual MOT (as it was up on the ramp) at 106,000 miles in April this year. I have done nothing since buying it about fixing any oil leakage.

Second, make sure the oil is topped up and keep track of how much it is using - which could be two ways, burning or leaking.

Incidentally, I've found it incredibly difficult to read the dipstick, especially when the oil is fresh. So I've modded it. Pics. Turns out mine is overfull currently (but with the yellow tip I couldn't tell).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180403_132307.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	225385   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180704_190843.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	225387   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180704_191501.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	225389  
mike1967 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in