post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2005, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Has met Quack Quack Jack
6X therapist

Local Time: 10:25 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

View Goonery's Classified Ads

MCS JCW GP the REMEDY !!!

OK, so you have all, ...well nearly all had a dig...., its been negative and verging on offensive at times, so I thought you would all like to make a proper and constructive complaint and in doing so provide a remedy (A remedy is something that you would propose to make something more acceptable BTW ).
So instead of just stating negatively your obvious distaste, offer a constructive way to fix the thing you feel is so wrong.
Give it a try, you might find it hard to do, but its a way of getting results that works in all walks of life.
In other words , dont just say its wrong and you hate it, say what you want in order to make it better.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2005, 04:49 PM
No guts, no glory!

Local Time: 09:25 PM

England Male

My personal wish list: colour code the arches and the mirror caps, and lose all the window tinting. I could then live with the car and might even confirm my place in the queue. Other than subjective styling issues, it's a worthwhile step forward: the lightest, fastest, JCW MCS you can buy from the factory -- and one of the last batch -- at a price (if rumours firm up) that's cheaper than building your own.

post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2005, 04:50 PM
virage1

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonery
OK, so you have all, ...well nearly all had a dig...., its been negative and verging on offensive at times, so I thought you would all like to make a proper and constructive complaint and in doing so provide a remedy (A remedy is something that you would propose to make something more acceptable BTW ).
So instead of just stating negatively your obvious distaste, offer a constructive way to fix the thing you feel is so wrong.
Give it a try, you might find it hard to do, but its a way of getting results that works in all walks of life.
In other words , dont just say its wrong and you hate it, say what you want in order to make it better.
Good idea - this is the feedback I will be giving to BMW UK and hopefully to the factory:

- Not enough power (esp. versus the 230bhp test mules)
- Weight loss could have been more (i.e. why keep air con but not the back seats?) but I understand the use of carbon fibre parts would have bumped the cost up significantly
- Ill-conceived styling: 4 spoke, 18" alloys don't seem to make a lot of sense...look at the Alpina wheels for Mini for an example of agressive wheel style without looking childish
- Ill-conceived styling: whale-tail stuck-on spoiler - looks lke it has come from Halfords, not integrated into the rear of the car properly, looks like it prevents the rear wiper and third brake-light (i.e. safety issue versus "standard" S model)

I don't really like the overall feel of the car at all - looks like a boy racer's wet dream...but that is not constructive so I have not included it in the above! The rest of the styling may appeal to some so I will not include specific comments (although perhaps would not have chosen red for the wing mirrors!)

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2005, 04:53 PM
No guts, no glory!

England Male

Virage1 -- please, please get them to ditch the tints. In anyone's book, they are poor taste and spoil the balance of the original MINI design without contributing anything practical. If the designer has done it because he doesn't like the look of the space behind the seats, cover it with a pullout blind or something....
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2005, 04:55 PM
Starnberg

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

How about going back to the drawing board? Oops, sorry, you said constructive...
  • Lose the tints
  • ditch the red mirror caps - body coloured or black is fine
  • reduce the size of the GP badging on the rear
  • make the wheels five spoke or start again entirely (depending on how the five spoke works out)
  • fix the interface between the skirts and the wheel arches - either colour code the whole thing or blend them in properly
  • add back the rear wiper - I like to be able to see behind me...
  • find a rear wing that actually looks 'right' on the car
  • make the interior really, really cool.

Oh, and shed another 50KG and find me 20-odd horses...

Last edited by Starnberg; Oct 31st, 2005 at 06:04 PM.
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2005, 06:08 PM
Half a dent

View rentagas's Pepper White & Black 2nd Gen MINI Cooper Diesel Clubman Profile

Fully colour coded. ie arches mirrors
Aero side skirts are fine
At least 230bhp. Prefearbly 250 bhp
Put back the rear seats
Rear wash wipe
More subtle rear spoiler
Cost 22k
Red rear brake callipers
Since front tints are not legal in UK-lose them entirely
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2005, 06:23 PM
MINI2 Privilege Member
Track addict

United Kingdom

Well here goes.... 2 choices available to purchasers... -

"GP raw" spec - finish up the bumpers as has been said, ditch the aircon and leave rest as is, round up to 225bhp - easily achieved

"GP comfort" spec - add aircon and JCW rear seats, rear wash/wipe - which are easily removable anyway, round up to 225bhp

Give everyone who orders 3 sets of mirror caps - Red, Black and colour coded - wont cost much

How 225bhp? Enlarged crank pulley should crack it and would be reliable.
Perhaps the JCW carbon fibre wing would go down better...?
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2005, 06:26 PM
MINI2 Master

England Male View wibbly's Solid Black & Body Color 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile View wibbly's Classified Ads

I would have thought a lot of the negative comments concerning the GP are twofold really... 1) To do with the lack of horsepower especially after what has been bandied about and, 2) The apparent 'rice' look of the car considering just how good the car with the standard aerokit is...

My own 2p worth would be to look in JCG's direction at the prospect of some of the items they have at their disposal...

Standard Aero kit
- There is really nothing better out there
JCW C/F rear wing (OK not to everyone's taste, but we are talking about making it exclusive)
Split rim alloys - expensive on such a short run but no doubt achieveable knowing BMW's clout
Colour Code the arches in, this is a popular move for so many people
A little extra bhp - no doubt achievable with a little tweaking, maybe 230hp
Something special for the exhaust tails - twin pipes split, similar to the Harge Spirit system to mark it out as special
Unique interior front seat leather (perhaps match the mirror caps)
Carbon Fibre Dash (Not sure of the interior at the present time)
Carbon Fibre door inserts
Rear brake callipers - To match the fronts colour wise, perhaps even choose a different colour... everyone has red
Perhaps 2 colour choices, not 1

I'm sure I could go on

------> I have a Gen1 Works S and I'm proud of it <------
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2005, 06:31 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 11:25 PM

Netherlands View weslim's Pure Silver & Body Color 1st Gen MINI Cooper Profile

fix the interface between the skirts and the wheel arches - either colour code the whole thing or blend them in properly - add back the rear wiper - find a rear wing that actually looks 'right' on the car - and give the car 245bhp - and preserve the hatchback interior by getting the full JCW seats
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2005, 06:53 PM
RVW
MINI2 Privilege Member Has met Quack Quack Jack
003 On a Mission

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male View RVW's Hot Chocolate & Silver 2nd Gen MINI Cooper Diesel Clubman Profile View RVW's Classified Ads

It depends on which Punter it is aimed at
Driving enthusiast or Boy Racer or Track Day Man

Driving enthusiast would probably want all the toys and more power
Boy Racer probably just wants visual effect
Track Day Man wants power to weight no toys
So who is BMW going to lean toward.

Put rear seats back
Non runflats a lighter rims
Colour coded body parts
230bhp at least
Better/bigger intercooler
Bit more BLING under bonnet
Rear wiper etc
Bigger brakes preferably red
Better sounding exhaust note (not raucous )
Lose all unnecessary toys

Just some of my ramblings

post #11 of 58 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2005, 07:03 PM
No guts, no glory!

England Male

Blue Cooper

Re Wibbly's idea of two colour choices. How about Blue with Silver OR Silver with Blue?
That wouldn't even involve them in buying-in extra paint. Personally, I think the silver (of the roof) would be the better overall colour and the 'anthractite blue' could be used for roof, accents, wing mirrors. (BTW: my dealer - who has been spot on with cost/release date, reckoned the colour was going to be Moonstone. I presume that's a BMW colour...?)
post #12 of 58 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2005, 08:20 PM
LMB
...where´s the any-key?

England Male View LMB's Thunder Blue & Silver 1st Gen MINI Cooper S JCW GP Profile

ok in order:

1.) Ditch the bodykit........it's plain ugly.
2.) Have some lighter panels, it is the only way you'll get some serious weight loss.
3.) Increase bhp - hot hatches are coming out in the 240bhp bracket these days, this car needs to at least match them.
4.) Have some phat brakes on the rear as well as the front.
5.) Drop the stupid name
post #13 of 58 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2005, 08:29 PM
Total MINI dot com!!

United Kingdom Male View Rakey's Classified Ads

I guess it all depends on what the offical MINI brief is to be able to spec/design the car, as I think everyone is speccin' up an ultimate light weight MCS, but was that the original idea from MINI?

Anyway, I'll have my go at what I would want from an end of line special MCS

Full JCW treatment, JCW kit, suspension, brakes, seats, strut brace, carbon fibre trimmings all over.

The other bits that are not mentioned, I would like to see a sports manifold and cat, larger intercooler, possible get some braided hoses on the brakes, some of the nice features that you can do aftermarket are what I would have expected on this, and an increase in bhp to at least 230bhp.

Weight, well I don't mind if the rear seat is gone or not, but I think that aircon should be an option, so then those that want it can have it those that want a lightweight car can have that. But I think it needs to shed a few more kilos, carbon fibre is pricey and would have implications that would prevent this car entering certain makets, but how about aluminum panels? Surely they would reduce some weight out the car and also not need any investment in tooling so keep development costs down?

Styling, well this is where I feel what we have seen so far has totally gone the wrong way, the Missano GP looks too aftermarket, too Saxo/Corsa and all those other cars that are the reason we brought MINI's. MINI has something that no other car on the market has, its simplistic styling based on a classic design, with heritage behind it. All of this seems to have been forgotten by the designer of the GP. Why not step back and think what is MINI about? Take a look at what works already, namely the aero kit, simple continuous design that doesn't look like an after thought, it flows with the design of the car and that is what should be built on. The special should be more stealth than a high profile street racer, it should be missed if you don't look carefully, and it should surprise those that just look and think oh its just a MINI
post #14 of 58 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 2005, 09:09 AM
MINI2 No.1

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

England Male

Send a message via Skype™ to Paul
I think the UK should be able to spec if they want DSC and Aircon like most of the world can, instead of us having to have them.
post #15 of 58 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 2005, 10:08 AM
Now With More Cowbell

Local Time: 05:25 PM

Canada View Humourl3ss's Chili Red & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

Send a message via MSN to Humourl3ss
1. Jettison the red mirror caps. There's no functional or aesthetic rationale for them. Colour code the caps to the roof instead.

2. Assuming no fitment issues, fit ultra-low weight 16" rims with at least five spokes. If those don't clear the brake calipers, 17" rims will do. There is no reason to go with 18" other than looks, and the consequences of those looks hamper rather than help performance.

3. Reinstate the rear wiper. It weighs next to nothing and its usefulness is unquestionable.

4. Let's have some real weight savings. Clearly one can't expect 500 lbs, but a figure of 150 should be achievable with rear seat delete, front seat upgrades, wheel upgrades, insulation removal, lightweight exhaust and a token alloy or CF body panel (bonnet or hatch would be nice). Dare I suggest that we leave aside 4 of the six airbags too? The best way to survive an accident is to not be in one.

5. Fix the rear wing design. This isn't 1994 and we aren't driving Cossies. One of the beauties of the MCS wing is that it's really not something one notices from most angles. It's subtle and integrated into the overall design.

6. Standard aero kit. It would be cheaper, more readily available and meshes better with the overall design.

7. Offer two unique colours.

I'm not among the majority who thinks power should be 225, 230, or more. I think there's a certain element of diminishing returns and that 218 is a reasonable number.

Global Moderator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in