I would like to think we are celebrating/commemorating the birthday of the original MINI, in much the same way as the stamp that came out in the UK last week?
Of course, if whichever Chinese car company that bought the remains of Rover still owns the rights to the original Mini, I suppose they could consider making a limited production run (like they just did with the MG?) - and this would then be a "proper" 50th anniversary Mini....
What the heck - any excuse for a party!
This special Mini from Wood and Pickett is the nearest to a new Classic Mini 50th Limited Edition. I went to the unveiling of the first painted bodyshell in November at W & P, they had orders for about 5 cars at that time (The Mini Margrave is a famous W & P coachbuilt Mini but as these are brand new cars the name 'Mini' has been dropped to avoid any issues with BMW) :- Wood and Pickett Wood & Pickett Margrave 50
The WP Margrave 50 will be a limited edition run of up to 50 cars, hand built and registered in 2009 in celebration of fifty years of the Mini.
Each Margrave will be individually numbered and certificated with a unique plaque for each car. In addition, the WP Margrave 50 will come with a hand crafted leather case to house the cars certificate, sales leaflet, service record and handbook. We are also in discussion with Corgi to create a limited edition run of the model in a WP presentation box.
We have adopted an Italian flavour with the colours, for example the first car will be Margrave Rosso (red), other colour options will include Margrave Bianco (white), Margrave Nero (black), Margrave Verde Scuro (dark green) and Margrave Blu Scuro (dark blue).
* British Motor Heritage Sports Pack Bodyshell
* Bodyshell Prepared and Finished in one of the WP Margrave Limited Edition Colours.
* Complete Under Body Stone Chip and Rust Resistant Material
* Hand Painted Coachline in Contrasting Colour
* 1275cc Twin Point Fuel Injected Engine with 4 Speed Gearbox
* Black Powder Coated Subframes and Suspension Components
* Direct Acting Servo Assisted Brakes with 8.4” Front Disc Brakes and Drum Rear Brakes
* Leather Interior with Contrasting Piping to Match Body Colour
* West of England Cloth Head Lining
* Margrave Dashboard with WP 50 Signature Instruments
* Moto-Lita Steering Wheel
* Wilton Leather Bound Carpets and Footwell Mats
* Sports Pack Wheel Arches
* 6 x 13 Alloy Wheels with 175/50x13 Profile Tyres
* 1 Year Unconditional Warranty
* 3 Year ‘TLC’ Service Pack Available
Price £TBC, but circa £25,000
World exclusive at British Mini Fair 2009
Sunday January 25th 2009
"World renowned Mini company Wood and Pickett will be showcasing for the very first time anywhere in the world there brand new Wood and Pickett Margrave 50. Although the project and shell will have been showcased at there new Heritage Centre since November this will be the first time the completed car will have been shown to the general public. The W&P Margrave 50 will be unveiled on the British Mini Club stand during British Mini Fair 2009. This is a massive coup for the British Mini Club and one you do not want to miss."