HONESTLY - what are my options? - Page 2 - MINI Cooper Forum

General Discussion Use this forum to discuss MINI topics which are not related to other forums. Posts may be moved from here to alternative forums by the moderators without notice

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2007, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
reclaim the supercharger

Local Time: 09:12 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male View tyrerc's Chili Red & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

did not realise the 1-series defection

Cooper D is tempting but performance is a downside in comparison to the 120d and a big difference to the 'S'

Chris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Joy!

England View MaTTy_P's Solid Black & Body Color 1st Gen MINI One Profile

I went for an S in march for similar reasons - I had a little more money and the 04 One I had was A. A little heavy on the juice for a 90bhp car and B. Was going to cost quite a bit for new breaks/tyres for the performance I was getting.

I now have an R56 S - do mostly city driving and currently getting 35mpg and put two tanks in per month (maybes 3 if Im a busy bunny). My MINI One at peak used to get 32mpg when I drove light footed. Im just driving normal in my S, with the ocasional phase of spirited driving thrown in. Although the S costs me (only) 30 per month extra than my one, im getting greater mpg and greater fun...and still less than the extra tank of fuel I used to get in my One. Not much of a saving, but as mentioned before, a bigger grin!

Thanks for this post from:
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 2007, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
reclaim the supercharger

United Kingdom Male View tyrerc's Chili Red & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

havin a proper think today just put 50 in due to prices and it says 247 miles!!!!! scary as im havin to travel to Chester Tuesday aswel.

Starting to really come round to a deisel 1 series or A3 lookin at figures atm and making loads of notes

Chris

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 2007, 02:37 PM
MINI2 Privilege Member
Damned

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male View Restyle's Hyper Blue & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile View Restyle's Classified Ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrerc View Post
havin a proper think today just put 50 in due to prices and it says 247 miles!!!!! ...
Hi Tyrerc, just wondering if you ever use your on board computer to give a continuous display of the mpg?
Ive been monitoring this lately in my 2004 MCS, & I often achieve around 54mpg when cruising at a constant 55mph ... if I try hard & restrain my big right foot.
I also monitor the "Range" figure & try & drive in such a way that this figure actually increases by the end of my journey ... if that makes sense
Of course I often end up blowing all the "savings" on those few seconds of supercharger whine, but if you can hold back the urges you`ll achieve a nice 38mpg urban ... you`ll be bored *****less, but you`ll be saving all the hastle of getting another car.

Tigger .. Some Very interesting calculations above !!

post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 2007, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
reclaim the supercharger

yeah i usually see if i can 'gain' 50 miles then use them for some fun as i got them for free if that makes sense.

Over the past 2 months its not been past 24mpg which is one of those things due to the nature of the car but now other cars have the same performance and also 46mpg (120d m sport)
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 08:12 PM

United Kingdom Male View minisoopercooper's Chili Red & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper Profile

Send a message via MSN to minisoopercooper
Go and test drive a Cooper D. I am reliably informed it's the best R56 for retaining the R50 fun factor. It may be a bit slower 0-60 but 30-60 it's a lot faster as the torque and turbos really kick in around that range.

Not to mention 60MPG and ridiculously low tax
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 2007, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
reclaim the supercharger

think i will tbh no harm done and will put my mind to rest over it

Chris
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
Lights are on but...

Local Time: 08:12 PM

United Kingdom Male View Damo's Solid Black & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile View Damo's Classified Ads

Send a message via MSN to Damo
With reference to the Cooper D vs Cooper, I'm sure it was Fifth gear who worked out that to gain back the initial cost of the D over the Cooper with fuel costs as they are, would be 10 years on average yearly miles. Obviously R56 Cooper D compared to R53 Cooper S would be another story, but you may aswell go for a Cooper over a Cooper D

Do a serach on Youtube and watch it, you'dd see what I mean

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 2007, 07:16 AM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom

Really interesting thread this, I have owned three MINI's, a one, and 2 Cooper S's including an R56 which I sold due to the amount of trouble I was having with it. Since then I have 'defected' to Mercedes and bought a CLK 320, absolutely wonderful car but that is going today due to costs!
It is not that I cannot afford it, just that running an older car at 20mpg average is gauling, I really begrudge going to the petrol station, putting 30 in it and it going within a couple of days. I don't think that it is about the money, it is the knowledge that you can still have loads of fun in a car and yet the money you put into it would take you twice as far, plus the reassurance of having a warranty etc should things go wrong.
Don't get me wrong, I am absolutely car mad and don't mind a significant amount of my money going on them, but there comes a point at which I decided enough was enough!

I knew when I bought it that it would be thirsty but wasn't doing the mileage at the time etc. I have also owned a couple of 120d BMW's which I think are fantastic cars, very quick but really refined so that they do not always feel it, the car that I am replacing the Merc with is the new 123d MSport. If you are thinking of going over to BMW really do drive one, they are amazing, 204 bhp and on the brand new one I drove (6 miles on the clock) over 20 miles returned 48.7 mpg! All that with a 0-60 time of 6.8 seconds and a top speed of 148 mph! I looked at going back to MINI after all I love them, but after testdriving the Cooper S back to back I just couldn't do it, the brand new demonstrator rattled from the dash in two places and made that screeching howling noise when changing back into 2nd which took me back!!!!

Some fantastic deals around at the moment too, I know people say that you lose loads on new cars but to be honest the lowest depreciating cars I have ever owned were the BMW's due to the discounts I managed up front, I am paying no more for the BM than for a decent spec MCS.

If it is getting to you running the MINI, have a look around, when I started to consider changing the Merc I looked at loads of cars including the Honda Civic type - r which was great but again thirsty and kept coming around to the same conclusion that, as an all round package, the BM was impossible to beat!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in