Suddenly: VERY Concerned! (locked IN the car) - MINI Cooper Forum

General Discussion Use this forum to discuss MINI topics which are not related to other forums. Posts may be moved from here to alternative forums by the moderators without notice

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 74 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2002, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Senior

Local Time: 10:54 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United States

Send a message via Yahoo to mini-is-4-me
Exclamation Suddenly: VERY Concerned!

Just realize something.

I think everyone knows that if you lock the car with the remote with someone in, that person cannot get out even with the central locking feature. They are trapped. I just "accidentally" locked myself in the car, and dropped my key under the seat....and it took me a second to realize I was very trapped. If the tiny $2 battery quit working in my little remoteless entry at that very second or if I was unable to reach the key....I was about to be baked alive in the California Sun in my MINI S.Not the worst way to go but still scary

Ok, I've decided:
My Car Aimee: Mini "S", Pure Silver/B, Premium (A/C and sun roof), DSC, Fog, and Heated seats. (Why? 'cause I can't wait a year)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2002, 03:58 PM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 05:54 AM

United States View cooper4us's Pepper White & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper Profile

Yeah, there is a warning about that in the Owner's manual Page #23). I still fail to see the logic behind it, but most modern cars (Aside from the MINI) seem to have a similar "problem" with the interior locks not working if the car is locked with the keyless entry.

One has to be careful about not leaving people, baby or a pet inside the car. Or don't let children play inside the car or with the keyfob.

'02 MINI Cooper CVT
On Order: 2004 MCS (Est production date: 9/5/03)

Last edited by cooper4us; Oct 4th, 2002 at 04:07 PM.
post #3 of 74 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2002, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Senior

United States

Well I read all that but is quite a wakeup call when your sitting in the car and you can't immediately find your key and its locked....

Not sure why this feature is there. If someone forces your car from you, they are probably going to ask for the key as well....

Ok, I've decided:
My Car Aimee: Mini "S", Pure Silver/B, Premium (A/C and sun roof), DSC, Fog, and Heated seats. (Why? 'cause I can't wait a year)

post #4 of 74 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2002, 04:08 PM
MINI2 Master

Yeah I know that sucks. In a situation like that all that it can be done is to break the glass from either the inside (If you have one of those emergency glass breaking hammers for cars) or from the outside.

I still don't get the concept behind this.

'02 MINI Cooper CVT
post #5 of 74 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2002, 04:13 PM
MINI2 Master

United States View RickB's Dark Silver & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

As soon as you put the key in the ignition, the doors unlock. I don't like this situation. If you jump into your car, key in hand, to avoid, say a threatening person approaching, lock the doors with the key button, then try to drive away, the doors unlock when you try to start the car.
post #6 of 74 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2002, 04:14 PM
MINI2 Master

Canada Male View HarryHBMCC's Laser Blue & Black 2nd Gen MINI Cooper S Convertible Profile

Send a message via Yahoo to HarryHBMCC
Arrow

It is there so you can't break a window, reach inside through broken glass for the door handle to unlock the door. It also means the windows can be left down some and there is no way any coathanger can be used to pull on the opening tabs. Convertibles use it so that you can leave the car locked with the top down. If the MINI's glove box was lockable then you'd be able to do that too but as it is, having the window open enough to open the glove box means the contents can be stolen -- of all the things not to put in the MINI, why not a locked glove box and a valet key that can't open it or the trunk/boot?

But why would you ever lock the car with the keyfob while you are in it as the driver? I don't understand that one. If you lock it with the central locking button you can just unlock it. You'd have to intentionally use the keyfob to do it.

If you have a phone you can call MINI assistance... If worse came to worst you could kick out a window.

Harry

MINI Cooper Cabrio: now the car with go cart handling really feels like an open go cart!
"... the only man that can come home at 3 am in the morning without getting into trouble with his spouse is the owner of a British sports car!" -- Phil Bailey
post #7 of 74 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2002, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Senior

United States

Quote:
Originally posted by HarryIndiBlue

But why would you ever lock the car with the keyfob while you are in it as the driver?
Harry
I just did it by accident I guess as I was fumbling to leave the car and then dropped the key to boot. I didn't realize the doors unlock when you start the car though....I don't think mine does that?

Ok, I've decided:
post #8 of 74 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2002, 04:29 PM
MINI2 Master

Canada Male View HarryHBMCC's Laser Blue & Black 2nd Gen MINI Cooper S Convertible Profile

Quote:
Originally posted by mini-is-4-me

I just did it by accident I guess as I was fumbling to leave the car and then dropped the key to boot. I didn't realize the doors unlock when you start the car though....I don't think mine does that?
I thought you must have done it by accident. I have seen people unlock the doors with the fob from inside the car when they can't figure out the door switch but I've never seen anyone lock it.

Like yours, I don't think mine unlocks when you put the key in the lock; I'll check next time to make sure, though, and will post the result. Mine LOCKS them when I drive away.

Harry

MINI Cooper Cabrio: now the car with go cart handling really feels like an open go cart!
"... the only man that can come home at 3 am in the morning without getting into trouble with his spouse is the owner of a British sports car!" -- Phil Bailey
post #9 of 74 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2002, 04:32 PM
Moderator & Sponsor

Local Time: 06:54 AM

United States

Quote:
Originally posted by HarryIndiBlue
It is there so you can't break a window, reach inside through broken glass for the door handle to unlock the door... If the MINI's glove box was lockable then you'd be able to do that too but as it is, having the window open enough to open the glove box means the contents can be stolen -- of all the things not to put in the MINI, why not a locked glove box and a valet key that can't open it or the trunk/boot?

Harry
Okay I'm lost If someone busted out the window why would they need to open the door?

Forgive me if I'm missing something really obvious, it's been a really looong week. I didn't even realize that the glove box didn't lock, I though they all did. I suppose MINI really did intend for it to be used as a travel cooler.
post #10 of 74 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2002, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Senior

United States

Quote:
Originally posted by monica

Okay I'm lost If someone busted out the window why would they need to open the door?

Forgive me if I'm missing something really obvious, it's been a really looong week. I didn't even realize that the glove box didn't lock, I though they all did. I suppose MINI really did intend for it to be used as a travel cooler.
Can't comment on the first question.... But, I think that MINI engineering just missed the fact that in the American market we have to lock everything....can't even trust our garage not to steal money or a cellphone out of the glovebox. In fact, I already got my cellphone stolen once from a glovebox by a garage....

In Germany, they leave their coats out and all kinds of trusting things that here in the states, just don't work.

Ok, I've decided:
post #11 of 74 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2002, 04:55 PM
MINI2 Master

Even if the glove box had a keylock, a persistent thief wanting to bust it open will eventually get to its contents.

I personally don't like to leave valuables in a parked car (Cell phones, wallets, etc) because even if they are hidden from direct view a determined thieve will find them.

Most car theft in Miami is related to valuables left in cars...money, camcorders, laptop computers, cell phones, etc...in broad daylight and in areas with high traffic.

'02 MINI Cooper CVT
post #12 of 74 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2002, 05:11 PM
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 02:54 AM

United States View MINIDean's Dark Silver & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

Can't you just pull the door handle twice to unlock the door to get out?

MCS, DS/B, All Options and JCW!
post #13 of 74 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2002, 05:20 PM
MINI2 Master

Nope.

'02 MINI Cooper CVT
post #14 of 74 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2002, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Senior

United States

Quote:
Originally posted by MINIDean
Once you press the button on your remote, you are at the mercy of a $2 battery, someone outside with a key or you bought yourself a new window....simple as that.

Hey, if you have long fingernails cann't you lift up on the concealed locking knob though?

Ok, I've decided:
post #15 of 74 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2002, 05:29 PM
MINI2 Master

Quote:
Originally posted by MINIDean
Not if the keyfob has been used. Then it is double locked and only the keyfob will open it.

To answer a question from above, if a person breaks the glass but can't open the door then they must reach in through broken glass to get the contents. Might not be much of a deterant but it would be difficult to open the glove box or remove contents from the door pockets, back seat, etc. if they couldn't open the doors without getting all the glass out and leaning in through the window.

Harry

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in