All members with the n47 diesel - MINI Cooper Forum

General Discussion Use this forum to discuss MINI topics which are not related to other forums. Posts may be moved from here to alternative forums by the moderators without notice

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 2012, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 01:40 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male View Mattstorm's Classified Ads

England All members with the n47 diesel

Hi Everyone,

Thought it might be interesting for all new diesel owners to share their experiences. The N47 unit now used in Mini Diesel models has been around on the BMW cars for a while and there are threads about the DPF and regeneration and the DPF smelling and the cooling fan staying on when the car is turned off etc.. When I first got mine it did something which caused a right stench like burning, it was then fine but re-occured 200 miles later but not as strong, since then occasionally I notice it but faint. I think its the DPF doing its thing. I also noticed that after having the Auto climate button on but cooling off this morning, when I stopped the car and turned off the fan stayed on for 5 mins. Also noticed the smell at the front end, not sure if this was linked to the auto program or had it done a dpf regen thingy. Anyway the car seems fine but would be interesting to know how other people are finding the N47 in their Mini. I think any R56 LCI Diesel Mini should be the N47 and the countryman diesels use the same unit.

Mattstorm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2012, 02:03 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United States

I am using N47 diesel !

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 2012, 11:16 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 02:40 PM

United Kingdom

We traded our 2009 mini cooper d in for a new mini clubman cooper d our old mini averaged 54mpg the new one only averages a diss appointing 43.7mpg although it is a lot smoother and quieter it also had some nasty squeeks and rattles which Sytners mini did. Not want to fix just said they all do it.
not a very good answer so I ended up sorting it myself

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 2012, 06:13 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom

Got a Cooper SD Coupe on loan and it did the "fan thing" to me on Friday... Exactly the same, drove a few miles across town, parked up, switched off and the fan stayed running for a full 5 mins.

Something smelled very hot too.

Nothing untoward since, drives fines.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 07:01 PM
Mini One D 1.6

United Kingdom Male

N47 dpf

My MINI One D quite often runs it's fan for a few minutes when parked up.
Sometimes it is accompanied by a strong smell of heat.
The car seems fine though.
Chris.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2012, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male View Mattstorm's Classified Ads

Thanks for the reply guys! Mine is fine also but when I first got it and had the first dpf regen I got such a strong hot smell it was very concerning. Seems all good though. I'm at 1500 miles now and getting about 53 mpg average. Hope that gets a bit better but from reading the forums I think the quoted 74.8 or whatever it is, is a bit out of range !

Mattstorm
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2012, 08:58 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)

United Kingdom

I saw an interesting detail on Which? magazines tests of the Mini diesels - they got 53.3mpg for the D (vs BMW's 74.3), but they got 58.9mpg when testing the SD (vs BMW's 65.7). Their testing seems pretty thorough - all mpg testing is done on a fixed route at fixed times, so is fairly accurate.

The big shocker was that in testing the new 118d they got exactly the same 64.2mpg as BMW and they actually got better extra-urban consumption than BMW, 76.3 vs 72.4!

I can't see any obvious explanation why the same engine in a 1 series should use less fuel than in a smaller/lighter (though not by much) Mini.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2013, 08:02 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom

Well, my car had the n47 engine, a mini countryman sd..... Mine did the fan thing, was told by mini it was fine then when I came back from holiday the car was completely burnt out!! Caused by an electrical fault!!If I still had this car I would get it checked out
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 2013, 05:06 AM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom Male

I've got a cooper d with the Peugeot/Ford engine and it's been great, although once the exhaust burnt and punctured my bike tyre when I was driving to Cornwall. It was about 6" away from the end of the tailpipe.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 2013, 08:31 AM
MINI2 Senior

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

13 plate SD - had the fan run very early on in it's life (4500 approx miles now 5 months in), noticed it a couple of times but not recently. It didn't seem to happen on really hot days when i might have expected it. is it a known issue that should be seen as an actual problem?

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2017, 02:32 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattstorm View Post
Hi Everyone,

Thought it might be interesting for all new diesel owners to share their experiences. The N47 unit now used in Mini Diesel models has been around on the BMW cars for a while and there are threads about the DPF and regeneration and the DPF smelling and the cooling fan staying on when the car is turned off etc.. When I first got mine it did something which caused a right stench like burning, it was then fine but re-occured 200 miles later but not as strong, since then occasionally I notice it but faint. I think its the DPF doing its thing. I also noticed that after having the Auto climate button on but cooling off this morning, when I stopped the car and turned off the fan stayed on for 5 mins. Also noticed the smell at the front end, not sure if this was linked to the auto program or had it done a dpf regen thingy. Anyway the car seems fine but would be interesting to know how other people are finding the N47 in their Mini. I think any R56 LCI Diesel Mini should be the N47 and the countryman diesels use the same unit.
seen a lot of these engines destroyed bmw M47 engine was the better engine, but 2007 they changed to the n47 on bmw cars and later stuck it in the mini,, one big issue is timing chain, they recalled a lot of them the first n47 engines after which done a story on the massive amounts of chain failure from 40k most lasted 70k, they blamed the owners for poor servicing and engine oils etc the norm,, so dpf blocks up this adds even more carbon in the oil and more heat in the engine added the chains are thin and narrow,, then just to add insult to it all the put chain on rear of engine so engine out job for a t/chain replacement.. some customers would ear the noises and think it was a dual mass flywheel issue until they snapped.. i have had bmw m47 cars with 200k plus still on same chain, i have never seen a n47 make it this far unless driven like a vicker with 5k oil services maybe.
seems to me car makers all get together and find ways to ensure their products all fail with same issues, dpf. egr. timing chains. waterpumps run off timing belts. daul mass flywheels,, very expensive weak sensors and fuel systems,, body control modules,, and as many parts as they can that need special encoding to replace,,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in