2008 vs 2013 and the Rattle - MINI Cooper Forum

General Discussion Use this forum to discuss MINI topics which are not related to other forums. Posts may be moved from here to alternative forums by the moderators without notice

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2015, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 01:38 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

United States

Garage
2008 vs 2013 and the Rattle

I am due to close on a 2008 Mini Cooper S, that is very clean, premium appointed and well cared for. It has 42k on it, and I had it checked out by a mechanic that works on Minis. A reasonable price and I'm planning on getting an extended warranty. But something in my gut says "beware of the rattle" So I have a few questions. 1)Is there a certain extended warranty that would cover this defect if it arises 2)Can the timing chain tensioner be preemptively replaced to avoid this problem to begin with? 3)Should I just avoid this problem all together and buy a newer model, a lastly 4)Which S models do not have this problem. According to Consumer Reports, reliability got better as of 2011.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2015, 03:49 PM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 03:38 PM
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)

Estonia Male View Caveman's Classified Ads

The N14 engine has other problems besides the timing chain tensioner ... high oil consumption, high pressure fuel pump and carbon build-up on the intake valves.

A 2011 or later MCS with the N18 engine would be a "safer" choice.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caveman For This Useful Post:
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2015, 05:15 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 01:38 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

United States

Garage
I'm quickly losing faith in Minis, this might be the wrong place to say this. My nearby Mini dealer seems indifferent. They seemed puzzled when I brought up timing chain problems when visiting their showroom. Certain years 2002-2006 and 2011-2015 seem better than others. And it's hard to get an answer as to the rate of failure. So even after doing all my homework, and finding a couple of 2011 - 2013 I like, I'm still wondering who is asleep at the controls at MIni. I'm thinking of either buying a high mile 2002-2006 or an 11-13. My psyche can withstand reasonable repairs and maintenance but flying plastic shrapnel and a manufacturer not willing to claim responsibility is ludicrous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags: , , ,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in