Track Day - Brands Hatch. Southeast UK - Page 2 - MINI Cooper Forum

General Discussion Use this forum to discuss MINI topics which are not related to other forums. Posts may be moved from here to alternative forums by the moderators without notice

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 2018, 09:12 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 01:07 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

England Male

I'm going to Brands on 10 April with Opentrack - with Opentrack you get free pictures and free instruction, which you have to pay for with MSV from memory. Its at £169 at the moment.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2018, 10:42 PM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 12:07 PM
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)

England Male

The Novice Track Day with MSV on 4th March - "Experienced driver coaches on hand throughout the event, offering advice and in-car training". MSV provide free in-car instructors on open track days as well.
And is the Opentrack one on 10 April Novice or Open? The MSV on 4th March, being a Novice day, limits the cars on track to 20 at a time. Brands is so short it can get very crowded. I've been and watched 5, don't live far from Brands.

10th April sounds good, warmer and longer evenings.

post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 2018, 11:12 AM
MINI2 Newbie

England Male

Nigel - you're right, the Opentrack day is not a novice day and it might get quite busy I guess!

Brands is a great track - quite flowing and easy to learn (being short!) but both Paddock and Druids are quite challenging in my view!

Enjoy yourselves, but take it easy as the gravel traps can be an experience as well!

post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 2018, 12:42 PM
MINI2 Master

England Male

I've seen a MINI going off into the gravel at Clearways. Session stopped, recovery, back to the pits. What a mess!!! You think oh that's OK, it's only gravel. Wrong. Spoiler trashed, chips all over the place, gravel in every orifice. Horrible.

My son and I are doing Bedford, the big circuit, on Sat 31st March. Never been but told it is great, virtually no gravel and barriers to hit and because it is so long, 3.8 miles, plenty of room for the cars.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 2018, 12:45 PM
MINI2 Master

England Male

Folks, I've started a new thread for the Novice Day at Brands on 4th March with more info:
https://www.mini2.com/forum/general-d...ch-2018-a.html
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 2018, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Garage
Ok ......

so it seems there is enough interest to get something going.................

I can see NigelK has a novice day on the 4th march...but this is a little close for me, I was kinda hoping end of march beginning of april.........

That said..... I upon reading NigelK's comments about the amount of cars on track on an open day and brands being so small, I am leaning towards doing arranging a novice day too ( seeing as none of us will have done a track day before, and personally I dont want the agg of dealing with 50 cars when breaking my duck ) ......

What do you all think?....... novice?.....open day?....... beginning of april or there abouts?

If the above sounds good I'll get some links up and we'll choose, book and hoon

Peppers

Drink Hydrocarbons, Spit Fire
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 2018, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Garage
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 2018, 01:34 PM
MINI2 Newbie

England Male

Worth noting that, in theory, the number of cars on track at any one time will be limited even on an 'open pit lane' event. I don't know what that limit would be, but the marshals will stop cars going out if the limit has been reached and you will have to wait until someone comes in (usually only 10-15 mins max).

Having said that, I've done 'open pit lane' events with MSV at both Brands and Snetterton and never been held at the pit land exit... in fact I'm not sure I've ever seen more that a dozen cars on track at any one time.

As an aside, if you want a lovely track with loads of runoff, plenty of space and little to hit, head to Snetterton. Easily my favourite track after Goodwood.
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 2018, 06:04 PM
MINI2 Master

England Male

Interesting Timbo. If you do Snetterton, do you stay over up there the night before or just get up at crack of dawn? It must be a long trek for you.
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 2018, 04:48 PM
MINI2 Newbie

England Male

Yes, I always go up the day before and stay over... far to far to go from here for the day!

post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 2018, 10:07 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

England Male

As I said definitely up for this but can’t do week days as my work commitments are limited to just weekends really and work most Saturday till 1.00pm so Sunday the best for me???? “doesn’t go down well with the governor” ??? Plus lose a days money!!! And that will be a expensive day out for me ????,oh and Iv got a wife ? ??????????
?
but as I say what’s the best for everyone???? Keep us posted.....

thanks again
Ashley ??????
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2018, 06:45 AM
MINI2 Regular

Quoted: 55 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOKMINIKING View Post
As I said definitely up for this but can’t do week days as my work commitments are limited to just weekends really and work most Saturday till 1.00pm so Sunday the best for me???? “doesn’t go down well with the governor” ??? Plus lose a days money!!! And that will be a expensive day out for me ????,oh and Iv got a wife ? ??????????
?
but as I say what’s the best for everyone???? Keep us posted.....

thanks again
Ashley ??????
I'm the same with regards to weekdays, also after March would be good for me (im moving on the 24/25th). I think i'm definitely going to be to loud though... 18% pulley, alta induction, racing cat, resonated exhaust its stupid LOUD). I'm going to the Beachy head run this weekend if any of you are going maybe you could hear it and let me know what you think?

Im gonna be gutted if it is.... means i need a whole new exhaust system

Jon

Mini is always dead.....
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 2018, 10:29 PM
MINI2 Master

England Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny-english View Post
I'm up for this!! Like you I've never been on one so would be good fun when was you thinking? might be worth seeing if you can get a group discount if there is enough of us?

Keep us posted! Jon
Your car will never make it as far as Brands Jon.
Jackdaniel likes this.
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 2018, 01:59 PM
MINI2 Senior

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male View ExclusiveWorkshops's Classified Ads

Garage
I think the novice only days would be good for inexperienced drivers, especially if instruction is free, you get cones marking turn in and braking plus apex points so very useful. Then you can usually get pay tuition on an open track day. You'll get less time perhaps on a novice 'session' day because you have to be ready and in the queue at the right time, so if fettling the car for example, you could miss out. This can happen as you may still be checking or repairing the car, which should be checked at every return to pits.

The open days can be daunting. I've not done many really, maybe 6 or 8, and still have been on with a mix of stuff at Oulton and Ty Croes on Anglesey, or the 'Ring' which is something else. I have sat in on many more. I think anyone will get more from an open day unless you're not used to driving fast in general. If you're not confident at speed and manoeuvring at speed combining braking and gear changing while adhering to the correct line and braking and turning zones likely to be essential on a track etc. Then the novice day will work for you if you need to be guided for what and when.

Don't be put off by the speed at which things pass you as a spectator, this is what bothers me initially. Then look at the cars perhaps, when you see it's a stripped out (often not) fiesta, Mini, Clio, E30, it isn't hard to realise the top speed at which they're passing you might not be that high. Even much faster looking cars aren't going 'that' much faster 'in general' and when you're out there, they will pass you quite safely and quickly on the side they're allowed to, and nobody in general can overtake in the corners, so really there isn't much to be afraid of.

The most important thing for novices to keep on top of, is use of mirrors, and indicating as soon as a faster car appears quickly in the mirror. They will be on your tail soon and cannot pass in the corners, so courtesy is valuable on track. There will be blue flags usually anyway, but if you decide you want a race with them when you're clearly slower, don't. You can get reported for not moving, and called in.

There will be places a car gains on you which could be one particular straight for instance, but the time will come where you may legitimately hold your ground once used to the car and track, knowing you'll clear off at the next bend, you may have done this over several laps and made a small error allowing them to close on you but it doesn't mean they're faster and should pass. The safest way though, and least frustrating for the other driver if they're all over you now, is to let them pass, and you can always get back past can't you. That way people don't get wound up. Believe me tensions get high, the adrenalin can take hold. So you do need to be strong enough to say to yourself 'it's ok' haha. Take a breath, or even end the session for a walk around. Red Mist can cause some problems for both, it's hard to recognise sometimes.

Sit in with a helpful driver to get an idea of what's around you, and on another lap focus on what they're doing, so see that they get in the right gear before the middle of a turn for example. Set the car up for the turn, and drive through it. It really doesn't matter if they use heel/toe and you can't do it or wouldn't know how. What matters is that you are in the right place, getting the car to the right speed before you change direction at speed, and get in the right gear however you're comfortable, to be able to pull out of the turn, you'll see what gear they choose.

Some track day goers use too low a gear anyway. The Cooper S has a good pull and can deal with 3rd over 2nd in a lot of corners so don't worry about changing down several gears if you're not used to this. Much of a track for those that haven't been, will be, or 'can be' done in two gears, 3rd and 4th typically. 4th on the Cooper S will take you to around 105/110 vmax, not many people change up from there because they'll be getting out of that gear any second, so they may hold on to it for a few yards. Others might for various reasons, I may for example, to help reduce intake temp, or some corners I may take in a higher gear.

It would be nice to meet some people from here, my experience on MT is that most members live down South haha, so I won't travel that far I don't think, although I do want to drive Brands Hatch. I won't go down there for a novice day, I think it'll be a waste of money. Unfortunately I'm not too keen on old industrial estates or aerodrome tracks, I'd rather go to a proper venue, part of the experience and value for me.

Those wanting a weekend day will pay through the nose for it.
Jackdaniel likes this.
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 2018, 09:47 PM
MINI2 Privilege Member Has met Quack Quack Jack
Sour Mash

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Garage
Thanks for that post EW, it was an interesting read

One thing that worries me about a track day (and even still worries me on the public roads) is the braking. When I'm on a nice country road and a faster car is close behind me I never know whether to brake progressively to give them warning or just ignore them. On the track when they are inches apart is it up to the car behind to be on the ball or is there some kind of etiquette about braking?

Or, what if as a novice I brake too early and they not expecting it for example?

And finally my intention is to start tracking my R50 once I have a second car so I don't risk putting my only transport out of action. Do you think a R50 could cope with track day traffic or should I really look at replacing it with a R53?

Thanks again

2002 Mini Cooper R50, purchased Nov 2016
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in