Insurance company for 21 year old - MINI Cooper Forum

General Discussion Use this forum to discuss MINI topics which are not related to other forums. Posts may be moved from here to alternative forums by the moderators without notice

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 2018, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 05:02 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Garage
Insurance company for 21 year old

Hi all,

Have taken the plunge and finally got myself an R53 (well, almost!)

Should be picking the car up in just over a week but I need to sort insurance. Iím 21 with no claims in the last 3 years (2 claims in the last 5 stupidly) but just wondering where might do me a good deal for the insurance?

Thanks for any help in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 2018, 10:38 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)

England Male

I'm with the brokers Adrian Flux who have placed it with the insurer Ageas. Not sure how Flux are with 21 yo. There is a whole section on MiniTorque on insurance which I found quite useful when I was looking. Are you thinking of modding it? Lot easier if you aren't, well not for a while. As I recall with my kids, 25 seems to be a watershed.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2018, 08:02 AM
MINI2 Regular

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Garage
Mate , good morning.....

I don't want to **** on anyones parade but I reckon you should check insurance "before" you buy this car.

In fairness my r53 was pretty cheap for me to insure compared to other motors i have had....but I can tell you I have a 23yo guy i work with who has a vw polo 1.4 with a years ncb and is paying circa 2.5k a year.( and has to have a little black box fitted )

How much you will have to pay depends on a number of factors. The insurance company you go with, Age , location, job, where the car is kept overnight etc.

Now, not that I am endorsing anything dodgy or advising you to lie.......but there are a number of things you can do to assist in getting your quotes down......

1) a job title that has nothing to do with transport. ( I am in telesales, ugetme? )
2) do not add commuting ( I have commuting on mine but it is cheaper if you do not have it on your policy )
3) The car is garaged ( Mine isn't and i haven't lied or told them it is...but this will lower any premium if you have one )
4) lower estimated yearly mileage ( The key word here is estimated...estimates can be lower or higher after all )
5) Modifications (All i will say is this.....To an average joe and egg looks like an egg...I mean, how are you supposed to know that its got a double yolk by looking at it from the outside if it looks like every other egg?..Maybe someone else bought you this egg...or it wasn't described as a double yolker........You will be asked whether the car has been modded. . . You should answer to the best of your ability as either as an average joe or a qualified egg farmer...your choice....Just remember, chicken eggs and ostrich eggs look different )
6) Register the car and your insurance at your second home in a lower crime area
7) Put a named driver on the policy ( Believe it or not, I put a friend on my insurance so he could drive the car back when i bought it... And my quote dropped by £150...he has zero ncb and was younger than me too .. go figure )...

And finally number 8 , probably the best overall choice.....................

8) Sorry for this one but..........Buy a less sporty car ( cheap hack run around until you are 25,when you enter the next bracket to have your insurance lowered )

Either way, however you get on.... I wish you luck.... and if money is no object then crack on!!

Best

Peppers

Drink Hydrocarbons, Spit Fire

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2018, 08:16 AM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by thn123 View Post
Hi all,

Have taken the plunge and finally got myself an R53 (well, almost!)

Should be picking the car up in just over a week but I need to sort insurance. Iím 21 with no claims in the last 3 years (2 claims in the last 5 stupidly) but just wondering where might do me a good deal for the insurance?

Thanks for any help in advance

https://www.planinsurance.co.uk/
worth asking about

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2018, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom Male

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppers Pray View Post
Mate , good morning.....

I don't want to **** on anyones parade but I reckon you should check insurance "before" you buy this car.

In fairness my r53 was pretty cheap for me to insure compared to other motors i have had....but I can tell you I have a 23yo guy i work with who has a vw polo 1.4 with a years ncb and is paying circa 2.5k a year.( and has to have a little black box fitted )

How much you will have to pay depends on a number of factors. The insurance company you go with, Age , location, job, where the car is kept overnight etc.

Now, not that I am endorsing anything dodgy or advising you to lie.......but there are a number of things you can do to assist in getting your quotes down......

1) a job title that has nothing to do with transport. ( I am in telesales, ugetme? )
2) do not add commuting ( I have commuting on mine but it is cheaper if you do not have it on your policy )
3) The car is garaged ( Mine isn't and i haven't lied or told them it is...but this will lower any premium if you have one )
4) lower estimated yearly mileage ( The key word here is estimated...estimates can be lower or higher after all )
5) Modifications (All i will say is this.....To an average joe and egg looks like an egg...I mean, how are you supposed to know that its got a double yolk by looking at it from the outside if it looks like every other egg?..Maybe someone else bought you this egg...or it wasn't described as a double yolker........You will be asked whether the car has been modded. . . You should answer to the best of your ability as either as an average joe or a qualified egg farmer...your choice....Just remember, chicken eggs and ostrich eggs look different )
6) Register the car and your insurance at your second home in a lower crime area
7) Put a named driver on the policy ( Believe it or not, I put a friend on my insurance so he could drive the car back when i bought it... And my quote dropped by £150...he has zero ncb and was younger than me too .. go figure )...

And finally number 8 , probably the best overall choice.....................

8) Sorry for this one but..........Buy a less sporty car ( cheap hack run around until you are 25,when you enter the next bracket to have your insurance lowered )

Either way, however you get on.... I wish you luck.... and if money is no object then crack on!!

Best

Peppers

Thank you very much for this, I work in car sales (big uh oh) but all in Iíve just had a quote from Adrian Flux for £900 for the year on this car. I was a bit shocked and maybe some charm played a part but this is with a 5k Miles a year limit (I have a company car so should be enough). Car on the drive, no additional drivers, Fully comp, no black box, £375 excess.

Thanks to @NigelK for the recommendation.

Pretty chuffed. Comparethemarkets cheapest with no box was £1750!

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2018, 11:33 AM
MINI2 Privilege Member Has met Quack Quack Jack
Sour Mash

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Garage
Love it Peppers Pray

I am an honest person but when dealing with a business which revolves around dishonesty, discrimination, dishonour and many other thing beginning with dis, I feel absolutely no remorse playing them at their own game

In fact you have to do it just to get back on a level playing field. not even to get an advantage.

2002 Mini Cooper R50, purchased Nov 2016
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2018, 02:16 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Thank you very much for this, I work in car sales (big uh oh) but all in Iíve just had a quote from Adrian Flux for £900 for the year on this car. I was a bit shocked and maybe some charm played a part but this is with a 5k Miles a year limit (I have a company car so should be enough). Car on the drive, no additional drivers, Fully comp, no black box, £375 excess.

Thanks to @NigelK for the recommendation.

Pretty chuffed. Comparethemarkets cheapest with no box was £1750!

if work in the trade maybe a trade policy tailored to your needs ie they do selling cars as a home trader i know someone who has one £700 per year covers any car all do is add cars as when to it, that link i added before for plan insurance or trade x worth asking,
thn123 likes this.

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2018, 02:58 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Garage
My 21yo daughter has just bought a full comp ins policy for a MC '07 with one year unprotected NCD and a few extras like keys, legal protection etc. She's put me and her Ma on the named drivers and it came out at 740gbp. Last year she had a Citroen C2 1.4d and her cheapest quote was 1080, with a Black box. Try going faster than 70 in one of these anyway.

Hastings. No black box. 375gbp compulsory Excess - but what else can we expect? It's still cheaper than last quote and a far better car.

Oh - she got a quote from the current insurers (Admiral) online and it came out at 93 per month - about £3 more than her current policy on the C2. When she rang to confirm they quoted 135 per month - because the online deal was only for 'new' customers - as an existing policyholder, she couldn't get the deal. Utter farce, she told them politely to er, not bother.

So - Shop around.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2018, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom Male

Garage
Thanks @mike1967 - I will have a look at these. Might be able to get myself onto works trade policy but can't ask too much when I have a company car!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2018, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom Male

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_CS View Post
My 21yo daughter has just bought a full comp ins policy for a MC '07 with one year unprotected NCD and a few extras like keys, legal protection etc. She's put me and her Ma on the named drivers and it came out at 740gbp. Last year she had a Citroen C2 1.4d and her cheapest quote was 1080, with a Black box. Try going faster than 70 in one of these anyway.

Hastings. No black box. 375gbp compulsory Excess - but what else can we expect? It's still cheaper than last quote and a far better car.

Oh - she got a quote from the current insurers (Admiral) online and it came out at 93 per month - about £3 more than her current policy on the C2. When she rang to confirm they quoted 135 per month - because the online deal was only for 'new' customers - as an existing policyholder, she couldn't get the deal. Utter farce, she told them politely to er, not bother.

So - Shop around.

This is very true. I think some of it comes down to statistics i.e. the C2 being a popular first car/more young drivers in them and therefore they are involved in more accidents then the insurance hikes. They do have us bent over a barrel but I have to hold my hands up and say I did c**k up when I had freshly passed and was let rip in a 125bhp Fiesta!

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2018, 07:16 PM
MINI2 Master

England Male

For reseans unknown it can be a good wheeze adding parents as named drivers. Not sure with Flux though. I think that £900 sounds a great premium. My MINI was a second car so I was starting with zero NCD as my 9 years is on the other car. Even at my advanced years I was getting breathtakingly horrible quotes. One was £2,000!!!!!

I renewed with Flux in December for £437. All mods declared, quite a few, power and handling, plus agreed value of £4,500.

Does yours include 3rd party on any car? Maybe not. If it does they have a stonking additional add-on - fully comp on any car lent to you with a max per claim value (that is, as in comp, on the car you are driving, not the 3rd party amount) of I think £25k for £21 per year.

I am gutted as I really want and need it to drive one of my sons classic Mini and his Caterham 7. But I didn't realise you have to buy it within 14 days of taking out/renewing your policy and I missed it. Aaaaaargh! That is such a bargain.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 08:21 AM
MINI2 Regular

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Have you tried A-Plan? You're gunna get stung at that age with claims and no no claims to back it up but they look after all of my boss' cars
Mikeyp @ TMS Motorsport
Email us : [email protected]

WhatsApp us for fast response : +447979127236
TMS Motorsport – FERODO PADS – BUY ONLINE

- We ship worldwide to your door -

- Currently Breaking for parts – Hawkeye Subaru Impreza - Honda S2000 -
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 01:39 PM
MINI2 Master

England Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moff View Post
Have you tried A-Plan? You're gunna get stung at that age with claims and no no claims to back it up but they look after all of my boss' cars
Do you not read through a thread before you post a reply? And how old is your boss, 21?

He has 3 years no claims:
Quote:
Hi all,
Iím 21 with no claims in the last 3 years (2 claims in the last 5 stupidly)
For his age he already has, in my humble opinion, a very reasonable quote from Flux, which it is extremely unlikely he will better:
Quote:
Iíve just had a quote from Adrian Flux for £900 for the year on this car. This is with a 5k Miles a year limit (I have a company car so should be enough). Car on the drive, no additional drivers, Fully comp, no black box, £375 excess.
Another attack of Ed Zachery Moff?
thn123 and chalky13 like this.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 2018, 10:13 AM
MINI2 Regular

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelK View Post
Do you not read through a thread before you post a reply? And how old is your boss, 21?

He has 3 years no claims:

For his age he already has, in my humble opinion, a very reasonable quote from Flux, which it is extremely unlikely he will better:

Another attack of Ed Zachery Moff?
Whoops sorry read it in a hurry and misread! Not sure what you mean by Ed Zachery but no attacks here I assure you, I'm all about peace
Mikeyp @ TMS Motorsport
Email us : [email protected]

WhatsApp us for fast response : +447979127236
TMS Motorsport Ė FERODO PADS Ė BUY ONLINE

- We ship worldwide to your door -

- Currently Breaking for parts Ė Hawkeye Subaru Impreza - Honda S2000 -
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 2018, 12:48 PM
MINI2 Privilege Member Has met Quack Quack Jack
Sour Mash

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelK View Post
yours include 3rd party on any car? Maybe not. If it does they have a stonking additional add-on - fully comp on any car lent to you with a max per claim value (that is, as in comp, on the car you are driving, not the 3rd party amount) of I think £25k for £21 per year.
Wow that is a great deal even at 10 times the cost. Will have to look into it next year as been offered / asked to drive a car a few times but not happy to without insurance

Depending on the car you are trying to insure couldn't this be abused? For example if you have a £25k hot hatch or some other high risk car you could "give" it to a relative, buy a cheap car insure that, then drive the hot hatch fully insured at the cost of insuring the cheap car

Edit: never mind I assume the borrowed car has to be insured by its owner

2002 Mini Cooper R50, purchased Nov 2016

Last edited by Jackdaniel; Feb 28th, 2018 at 09:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in