Currently awaiting RAC.... drive belt snapped - MINI Cooper Forum
General Discussion Use this forum to discuss MINI topics which are not related to other forums. Posts may be moved from here to alternative forums by the moderators without notice

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 2018, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 08:19 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Garage
Currently awaiting RAC.... drive belt snapped

Hi guys was just driving along and my auxillary belt (supercharger belt) has snapped.... Tis a gates belt and has done less than 1000miles.... What could have caused it to snap prematurely?? Amd could it have done damage? Thanks for your help, Jon

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Mini is always dead.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 2018, 07:17 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 688 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny-english View Post
Hi guys was just driving along and my auxillary belt (supercharger belt) has snapped.... Tis a gates belt and has done less than 1000miles.... What could have caused it to snap prematurely?? Amd could it have done damage? Thanks for your help, Jon

might be supercharger bearing broken up locked up the pulley. gates belts are one of the best

good tuners/repairs in southwest uk top guys 01579388980
good tuner/ecu body control clones etc lancaster up north uk DALE PHONE NUMBER 07807 222262 top guy.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 2018, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom Male

Garage
Hi Guys, thanks for the replies.... I ended up getting the mini towed home The RAC Guy noticed that one of the bolts on one of the pulleys had come loose (was hanging out) so assuming thats the problem.... my one concern is as i lost power.... i pulled into a pub and as i pulled in the temp gauge went from in the middle to almost at the top as i coasted into a space.... could this have done the head gasket? when i opened the bonnet the radiator was cold to the touch the coolant tank was stupid hot........

anyway, i want to replace the belt, and im hoping to do it myselt (ive always paid a garage to do it but fancy having a go)

so im looking at this belt https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GATES-6pk...gAAOSwwE5WatkK

this tool https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Drive-fan...UAAOSwCJxaIYOB

and them im not sure whether to change the tensioner (not sure if its damaged or not yet) if it is i will replace for this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gates-V-R...4AAOSwAAVZb5W-

if its not the is it worth getting something like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Adjustabl...4AAOSwAtFZbx0-

thanks for your help guys,

Jon

P.s. the cars a 2006 Mini Cooper S

Mini is always dead.....

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 2018, 01:48 PM
MINI2 Regular

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Garage
Ahhh Jeez man.....

Bad news johnny :/ ...... hope its an easy fix for you bro.

I am too green to answer any of the above....but you have my sympathy weaving its way over.

P

Drink Hydrocarbons, Spit Fire
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 2018, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom Male

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppers Pray View Post
Ahhh Jeez man.....

Bad news johnny :/ ...... hope its an easy fix for you bro.

I am too green to answer any of the above....but you have my sympathy weaving its way over.

P
HAHAHAH Cheers buddy, hoping its not to bad.... don't think it has done damage (but knowing my luck it has!)

Mini is always dead.....
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 2018, 12:35 AM
MINI2 Senior

Local Time: 09:19 PM
Quoted: 122 Post(s)

Scotland

Garage
Think yourself lucky you didn’t have to wait the 20 hours for the RAC to pitch up that a Porsche owner had to wait on Saturday on the M25........

Driving along in my automobile
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 2018, 01:37 AM
MINI2 Privilege Member Has met Quack Quack Jack
Sour Mash

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim in Scotland View Post
Think yourself lucky you didnít have to wait the 20 hours for the RAC to pitch up that a Porsche owner had to wait on Saturday on the M25........
Must be hard being a Porsche owner.

My sympathies Johnny you seem to be getting all the usual probablems all in your one Mini.

2002 Mini Cooper R50, purchased Nov 2016
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 2018, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom Male

Garage
Hi guys, thought I would have a go at changing the belt.... the bolt holding the crankshaft pulley in was completely out (pulled it out by hand) the tensioner has hit into the pulley (no damage that I can see) the problem is though that the pulley is sticking out around an inch so needs pushing on... how can I do this?? I tried tightening the bolt bit it just turns and is not grabbing (which worries me a bit although the thread of the bolt is perfect) what I want to do is push the pulley on and tighten the bolt (If I can) if I can't I assume it will need a helicoil? Man life sucks

Mini is always dead.....
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 2018, 06:22 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Hi guys, thought I would have a go at changing the belt.... the bolt holding the crankshaft pulley in was completely out (pulled it out by hand) the tensioner has hit into the pulley (no damage that I can see) the problem is though that the pulley is sticking out around an inch so needs pushing on... how can I do this?? I tried tightening the bolt bit it just turns and is not grabbing (which worries me a bit although the thread of the bolt is perfect) what I want to do is push the pulley on and tighten the bolt (If I can) if I can't I assume it will need a helicoil? Man life sucks

need a puller to remove bottom pulley clean it oil it then tap it back on again i would say, as need to know whats behind it and that the bolt will hold when you do get it on below link is brand new pulley look at pics ,
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CRANKSHAF...gAAOSwSQFaDVSz

as for the bolt i would never use the bolt under force to pull one on with rubber mallet block of wood and big hammer spray with wd40 maybe carefully heat it but mind the oil seal,,, i know thise pulleys are the mother of all jobs when they will not pull off the end of crankshaft,, if threads are nailed in crank threads coils are only cheap answer

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/88-Piece-...QAAOSwqfZacYsh

good tuner/ecu body control clones etc lancaster up north uk DALE PHONE NUMBER 07807 222262 top guy.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 2018, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom Male

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1967 View Post
need a puller to remove bottom pulley clean it oil it then tap it back on again i would say, as need to know whats behind it and that the bolt will hold when you do get it on below link is brand new pulley look at pics ,
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CRANKSHAF...gAAOSwSQFaDVSz

as for the bolt i would never use the bolt under force to pull one on with rubber mallet block of wood and big hammer spray with wd40 maybe carefully heat it but mind the oil seal,,, i know thise pulleys are the mother of all jobs when they will not pull off the end of crankshaft,, if threads are nailed in crank threads coils are only cheap answer

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/88-Piece-...QAAOSwqfZacYsh
Lovely thanks for that, the pulley that's on there is only a few months old so don't think I need to replace it? Will get some wood and a hammer on it and see if it taps on.... hopefully that will work!

Mini is always dead.....
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 2018, 09:48 AM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Lovely thanks for that, the pulley that's on there is only a few months old so don't think I need to replace it? Will get some wood and a hammer on it and see if it taps on.... hopefully that will work!

i put that link on so you could get a idea of whats behind it as such, i'm amazed it cam off that much as they are so hard to remove with the pulley, i bought a special clawed puller and its so bent from removing those pulleys that never want to come off the crankshaft fixing. might be good idea put some blue thread lock on the bolt when put it back in this will stop it from repeating the problem..
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Loctite-2...8AAMXQrNtR3TY8

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 2018, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom Male

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1967 View Post
i put that link on so you could get a idea of whats behind it as such, i'm amazed it cam off that much as they are so hard to remove with the pulley, i bought a special clawed puller and its so bent from removing those pulleys that never want to come off the crankshaft fixing. might be good idea put some blue thread lock on the bolt when put it back in this will stop it from repeating the problem..
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Loctite-2...8AAMXQrNtR3TY8
Perfect, I have some loctite so will add that, i've also ordered a puller so will take the pulley off give it an examination and refit it (probably break as its only a cheapy). would like to order a new bolt but cant find one tbh the bolt looks fine and isn't that old anyway

Mini is always dead.....
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 2018, 01:41 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Perfect, I have some loctite so will add that, i've also ordered a puller so will take the pulley off give it an examination and refit it (probably break as its only a cheapy). would like to order a new bolt but cant find one tbh the bolt looks fine and isn't that old anyway
with loctite on the bolt it will be good to go again as the bolt holds the pulley and dont hold any timing chain timing like the later prince engines do,,
little advice with pulley if pulley dont want to budge i always put a load of pressure on pullet centre bolt then use a solid iron bar to rest on pulley near the bolt flange and hit it with hammer the shock should move it,, seen some people spends hours and broken pullers before trying to remove them, when a good hard shock gets it moving

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2018, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom Male

Garage
Ok so tried to remove it today and it's not coming off.... on top of that I think I've damaged the pulley (hole where the bolt goes through shredded a bit) and also where the tensioner has hit has also damaged it (I can't see any damage but can feel it)..... I have the new bolt, now need a new pulley, and I still think it needs to be helicoiled or similar might be easier to put a new engine in!! Gonna get a mobile mechanic to come out and do it as I'm not clever enough thanks for your helps guys, Jon

Mini is always dead.....
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2018, 06:41 AM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Ok so tried to remove it today and it's not coming off.... on top of that I think I've damaged the pulley (hole where the bolt goes through shredded a bit) and also where the tensioner has hit has also damaged it (I can't see any damage but can feel it)..... I have the new bolt, now need a new pulley, and I still think it needs to be helicoiled or similar might be easier to put a new engine in!! Gonna get a mobile mechanic to come out and do it as I'm not clever enough thanks for your helps guys, Jon

the other way around the thread is to recut thread 1mm larger and fit a bolt to suit cheaper than new engine by a lot and should take a hour to do, you will need the special pulley, below link for cheap puller,, as said before put loads of pressure on the puller bolt and use a solid bar and lump hammer to shock the pulley,, might need a bit of heat, if need head a crankshaft oil seal would be a good thing to change, in fact i would change anyway as its done then,
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/crank-whe...8AAOSwyQtV0llw

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in