Adding an Aux in line on an 06 R53 - MINI Cooper Forum

General Discussion Use this forum to discuss MINI topics which are not related to other forums. Posts may be moved from here to alternative forums by the moderators without notice

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2018, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 08:19 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Adding an Aux in line on an 06 R53

Just bought a March 2006 registered R53 JCW with no Aux in (3.5mm jack). So, I'm back to my trusty CD collection rather than Spotify. Any experiences of how/where to mod this? Is it easy to do? I guess any auto stereo shop could do relatively cheaply.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2018, 10:15 AM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)

England Male

Assuming you have the original, standard CD Boost unit, you can get one of these, on eBay, for about £40:

Car Stereo USB SD AUX MP3 Player CD changer adapter-Mini Cooper R50 R52 R53
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Stere...3D222343737556

That is what I did as I wanted to play music on USB memory sticks. It plugs into the back of the head unit, where the 6 CD boot changer connection would be, and the head unit sees it as that. I had a 6 CD changer (I have Harman Kardon) and had to remove that.

If you want WiFi connection and hands-free phone capability there is a more expensive version that provides that, costs about £55:
Car Stereo Bluetooth handsfree A2DP MP3 CD changer adapter-Mini Cooper R50 52 53
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Stere...8AAOSwymxVPx15

There are numbers of these adaptors out there, for example GROM. But this was by far the cheapest, it works perfectly and is quite straightforward to fit.

With respect to auto stereo shops, I called numbers of them and found they were either totally clueless or wanted stupid money or wanted to sell me an aftermarket head unit, which I didn't want.

NewMINIStuff have a guy Mikey who is a guru on MINI sound systems and they sell an equivalent unit.
NewMINIStuff worldwide mail order accessories for the MINI

Pic of mine installed. As you can see I've swapped the standard tiny cubby arrangement for a proper shelf.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000896.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	224707  
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2018, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelK View Post
Assuming you have the original, standard CD Boost unit, you can get one of these, on eBay, for about £40:

Car Stereo USB SD AUX MP3 Player CD changer adapter-Mini Cooper R50 R52 R53
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Stere...3D222343737556

That is what I did as I wanted to play music on USB memory sticks. It plugs into the back of the head unit, where the 6 CD boot changer connection would be, and the head unit sees it as that. I had a 6 CD changer (I have Harman Kardon) and had to remove that.

If you want WiFi connection and hands-free phone capability there is a more expensive version that provides that, costs about £55:
Car Stereo Bluetooth handsfree A2DP MP3 CD changer adapter-Mini Cooper R50 52 53
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Stere...8AAOSwymxVPx15

There are numbers of these adaptors out there, for example GROM. But this was by far the cheapest, it works perfectly and is quite straightforward to fit.

With respect to auto stereo shops, I called numbers of them and found they were either totally clueless or wanted stupid money or wanted to sell me an aftermarket head unit, which I didn't want.

NewMINIStuff have a guy Mikey who is a guru on MINI sound systems and they sell an equivalent unit.
NewMINIStuff worldwide mail order accessories for the MINI

Pic of mine installed. As you can see I've swapped the standard tiny cubby arrangement for a proper shelf.
That's awesome, thanks so much for the info. I also have Harman Kardon but don't think I have the 6 CD changer; only had the car a few days. Will investigate!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2018, 09:04 AM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)

England Male

The 6 CD changer is pretty obvious - it is normally mounted upright on the right of the boot floor. The HK amp is behind the panel in the boot to the right of it.

The add-on units work fine, but a bit 'clunky' to use because the screen on the standard Boost head hasn't got any real display capability.

I found that the HK is more sophisticated than I'd initially thought. There was no explanation in the owners documentation for mine. I found this 'blog' by a US sound engineer - have a look - that explains its capabilities.
The MINI Harman Kardon Stereo System

I'm no audio buff but I love mine. For a standard system I find it is very, very good.
Thanks for this post from:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in