lowering - MINI Cooper Forum

General Discussion Use this forum to discuss MINI topics which are not related to other forums. Posts may be moved from here to alternative forums by the moderators without notice

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2018, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Local Time: 07:28 PM
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

 
lowering

hi , just got my first mini cooper s jcw, 2007 , need some advice please , it has 17" wheels at the mo , is it better to buy new 18" wheels or lower by say 20 mm, any advice greatly appreciated , also where is the best place to buy mini driving spots , went to my local mini dealership , they said i needed new grille as well and quoted me 800 odd for the lights plus fitting , TIA

kepsyboy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2018, 02:37 PM
cristo
 
cristo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: york, pennsylvania
Local Time: 03:28 PM
Posts: 2,755
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)

United States Male View cristo's Hot Chocolate & Silver 2nd Gen MINI John Cooper Works Clubman Profile
 
Garage
Not much suspension travel in MINIs, so only plus for lowering is looks.
I think the 17 inch wheels work better overall than 18 inch in most cases.
What model tires do you have now, and do you need summer, all seasons,
or summer and winter based on your location's climate and preferences?


cristo is online now  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2018, 03:27 PM
MINI2 Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: down west somewhere
Local Time: 07:28 PM
Posts: 4,014
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kepsyboy View Post
hi , just got my first mini cooper s jcw, 2007 , need some advice please , it has 17" wheels at the mo , is it better to buy new 18" wheels or lower by say 20 mm, any advice greatly appreciated , also where is the best place to buy mini driving spots , went to my local mini dealership , they said i needed new grille as well and quoted me 800 odd for the lights plus fitting , TIA
cheapest way for spots is find one breaking complete with the special brackets, as for the grill dremel out two slots for brackets to poke through works, will need extra long torx tool for the small self tappers used,, big issue will come when wiring them in will need to factory wiring harness and switch on via body control module for proper factory fitment, or two relays and run a signal wire to the high beam head light bulbs wires. and a inline fuse from live feed off aux supply will work..
as for lowering them hmmm if you have lots of speed ramps where you live i would leave well alone, poly bush itis a nice mod maybe koni adjustable s, as for wheels and tyres what ever you add wheel size you will need to reduce profile of tyre, this changes a fairly compliant ride in to a more crashy and will track in every bump and groove in the road,,,
also lowering lowers the sump and puts in the way of anything that sticks up in the road as sump is a in line or slightly lower than the front subframe its just a bad day waiting to happen.

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
mike1967 is online now  
 
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2018, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Local Time: 07:28 PM
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristo View Post
Not much suspension travel in MINIs, so only plus for lowering is looks.
I think the 17 inch wheels work better overall than 18 inch in most cases.
What model tires do you have now, and do you need summer, all seasons,
or summer and winter based on your location's climate and preferences?
hi christo , thanks for the reply , much appreciated , i currently have ronal r17 split rims , which i dont particually like the tyres are toyo proxies , i will need a all season tyre , am looking for wheels also , many thanks , steve
kepsyboy is offline  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2018, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Local Time: 07:28 PM
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1967 View Post
cheapest way for spots is find one breaking complete with the special brackets, as for the grill dremel out two slots for brackets to poke through works, will need extra long torx tool for the small self tappers used,, big issue will come when wiring them in will need to factory wiring harness and switch on via body control module for proper factory fitment, or two relays and run a signal wire to the high beam head light bulbs wires. and a inline fuse from live feed off aux supply will work..
as for lowering them hmmm if you have lots of speed ramps where you live i would leave well alone, poly bush itis a nice mod maybe koni adjustable s, as for wheels and tyres what ever you add wheel size you will need to reduce profile of tyre, this changes a fairly compliant ride in to a more crashy and will track in every bump and groove in the road,,,
also lowering lowers the sump and puts in the way of anything that sticks up in the road as sump is a in line or slightly lower than the front subframe its just a bad day waiting to happen.
thanks Mike , very informative reply think i will stay with the 17" then , will poly bushes all round improve the ride ,would still like to lower maybe 30mm max poss say 20mm , , what do you suggest , TIA
kepsyboy is offline  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2018, 05:29 PM
MINI2 Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: down west somewhere
Local Time: 07:28 PM
Posts: 4,014
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kepsyboy View Post
thanks Mike , very informative reply think i will stay with the 17" then , will poly bushes all round improve the ride ,would still like to lower maybe 30mm max poss say 20mm , , what do you suggest , TIA
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H-R-Perfo...7dt:rk:14:pf:0

above link not bad value come from a road race company. some other list below
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H-R-Sport...3024:rk:1:pf:0
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eibach-Pr...frcectupt=true

or if were me and cost not a issue below link with shocks
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stance-St...r3s:rk:22:pf:0
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BC-Racing...4Ar:rk:52:pf:0

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
mike1967 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply
Tags:


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
lowering cooper s lowering W1 2OES First Generation MINI Suspension 11 Jan 17th, 2008 06:37 PM
Lowering kit with 18's? Bobcruchett First Generation MINI Suspension 9 Oct 25th, 2002 04:16 AM
How to install lowering springs? Keith First Generation MINI Suspension 3 Apr 7th, 2002 02:09 PM
lowering springs scott shand First Generation MINI Suspension 12 Apr 3rd, 2002 05:11 PM
regarding lowering/springs etc mini mucker First Generation MINI Exterior 0 Feb 27th, 2002 10:46 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome