new cars by 2020 to be speed restricted - MINI Cooper Forum

General Discussion Use this forum to discuss MINI topics which are not related to other forums. Posts may be moved from here to alternative forums by the moderators without notice

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2019, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 12:55 AM
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

new cars by 2020 to be speed restricted

this could be a good reason for get away from the EU when EU law will be all new cars from 2020 will be speed/power controlled via sat and black box, the other thing thats not said is this will allow them to trace every car with it fitted,
all them track days gone. own a powerful car waste of time,, just the final nail in the motor trade i feel, as people will just decide might as well buy the smallest slowest cheapest car they can find, all the fun of life being sucked out by EU
link below for story
https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/8513...lsory-by-2022/

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2019, 01:28 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Garage
Yep, it's a terrifying prospect, they keep chipping away at our freedoms.

Spyderman likes this.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2019, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathH74 View Post
Yep, it's a terrifying prospect, they keep chipping away at our freedoms.
yep i know i dread to think what will happen if they remove the human rights bill as they keep threatening anything and everything will be possible then, that gives very rich people some feeling of self worth while sticking it to the working class no doubt,, really is a scary mess

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2019, 08:39 AM
MINI2 Senior

Local Time: 01:55 AM
Quoted: 119 Post(s)

Scotland

Garage
You will still be able to break the speed limits as it is over-rideable by a hefty stamp on the gas pedal, just you will be automatically caught! I doubt being in or out of the EU would make one iota of difference as to having the system or not, it is a safety feature and no government would want to be seen not adding one of those. Anyway all it would do is reduce sales of new cars and make used cars worth more.

My last 3 cars ,as well as my Countryman, already have an Automatic Speed Limiting system (often called ASL) that prevents a car exceeding the driver set speed limit but that is a voluntary choice. I also don’t know anybody who uses it.........

Living in a small village that has 40mph and 30mph speed limits approaching and departing the village we have been trying for years to have better enforcement of the speed limits, as it is the great unwashed/ illiterate who seem never to have had numeracy or reading lessons that continue to drive through at speeds well in excess of the indicated speed limits, in that respect this system cannot come soon enough. The best built up area speed control system that I have seen was in Portugal some years ago where some villages have a camera that measures speed linked to a set of traffic lights......... pass the sign over the speed limit and you get a red light for 5 minutes.........; people very quickly learn to drive at the speed limit. Also AVerage Speed Cameras with APNR have worked wonders at reducing speeding and some horrendous crashes on both the A9 from Dunblane to Inverness and on the A77M from Glasgow to Ayr.

Driving along in my automobile
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2019, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

the great unwashed/ illiterate who seem never to have had numeracy or reading lessons that continue to drive ... not just these people that do it i have known many washed millionaires with high performance cars more than break the speed limits one of them got caught 168mph got 10 year ban then just went and bought a helicopter for 5 mill i would think he was one that could read and write and do maths fairly well, i know of another he's got a lamborghini aventador he's best part of 70 year old and he dont drive it like a saint either its nothing to do with whether your clean young old male female or even had a brain injury and have lost some knowledge from a near end life accident as some do,, none of the above effects one persons foot on the right pedal of any car.. they have had speed limiters on commercial vehicles for years ie can not will not go above a set speed ie they say now will be the speed limit by the road signs no way of going above it as will be set to cars ecu,, so my point was just in case missed was that there will be no point buying cars with 200bhp or more,, and not really really about anyone speeding on the main road, but on race tracks you would think the default top speed would be 70mph, so paying a extra 20k for a kick ass motor will prob finish off the makers of cars.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2019, 10:46 AM
MINI2 Privilege Member Has met Quack Quack Jack
Sour Mash

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Garage
I think this is bad news, definitely don’t want a computer (which WILL go wrong) telling me how to drive!

That said I doubt it will finish off car makers as the majority of buyers are not interested in performance. For those who want to flash their cash I can see them just moving to other vehicle types, i.e. big luxury cars instead of sports cars.

2002 Mini Cooper R50, purchased Nov 2016
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2019, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackdaniel View Post
I think this is bad news, definitely donít want a computer (which WILL go wrong) telling me how to drive!

That said I doubt it will finish off car makers as the majority of buyers are not interested in performance. For those who want to flash their cash I can see them just moving to other vehicle types, i.e. big luxury cars instead of sports cars.
think i seen somewhere that when hybrid cars really get going that car makers are leaning towards building factories in country's where the materials for cells and labour suits their business. ie china being on the top of that list also seen somewhere that china is pushing its homeland to switch over to electric cars on some level as a state push scheme think story was on yahoo so take with a pinch of salts, this is just my view but i think car makers that produce cars here in the uk have been looking for a reason to build them else where for a long time now and all whats going at moment with uk and EU as forced their hands,, whether we are in or out honda are leaving vauxhall have said they will wait to see what happens with brexit toyota are running things down even bmw mini has said they will prob move production of phevs to china at some point. seems like the whole car business form top to bottom is about to go through some very big changes that will suit some and cause pain for others. but hayho at least secondhand cars sales and repairs will be good for a while

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2019, 02:11 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

No way
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2019, 05:32 PM
MINI2 Senior

Local Time: 01:55 AM
Quoted: 119 Post(s)

Scotland

Garage
Many cars built after about 2010 already have it, just that it is a switch you never use. My last full on Range Rover, 2 x Range Rover Evoques, my last RR Sport and my current Countryman all had/have an automatic speed limiter that was selected by the driver if they wanted to use it (after one use in a Range Rover I never touched the button again!) the difference now is that the default will be on instead of off like Auto Stop/Start and it will report your driving speeds back to Big Brother

Driving along in my automobile
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2019, 10:37 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Garage
A very good idea. People in my neck of the woods drive far too quickly practically all of the time. 70mph is plenty on the motorway and, in any case, smart motorways will nab you right now if you speed, using the time it takes to pass successive overhead gantries. The first you will know about it is an unwelcome surprise on your doormat.

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2019, 10:12 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

They'll be a lot of scare stories about this but the actual legislation does not say the cars will be speed restricted it is, at the moment, another safety measure that can be overridden. Whether your car can be automatically monitored for speeding is a separate issue and surely this would mean big brother is able to track your movements and I'm not sure that's allowed,. YET .....
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2019, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Quinn View Post
They'll be a lot of scare stories about this but the actual legislation does not say the cars will be speed restricted it is, at the moment, another safety measure that can be overridden. Whether your car can be automatically monitored for speeding is a separate issue and surely this would mean big brother is able to track your movements and I'm not sure that's allowed,. YET .....
another safety measure that can be overridden, i have a hgv license have worked on trucks when younger all are speed restricted to under 54mph cant be over run will not go any faster, vans are restricted and towing vehicles once again cant be overrun you get what you get the tech has been there for a long time,, maybe they will also want car drivers to have a tacho card one day that spies on when you drive and how you drive like all commercial vehicles do. and electric vehicles it will be so mush easier, this government at the moment i would not put anything past them ie one day just decide to try something that will cause mayhem for everyone then 10 years later when the damage is done go whoops think we will revers that now, in some ways its handy they are wrapped up in their self made pile of poo to do much else

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2019, 08:45 AM
MINI2 R56 Newbie

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

"all the fun of life being sucked out by EU". Jeez dude, would you rather have that oily berk Farage making the rules? Or do you put you trust in the Tories to care about anyone except the wealthy? Have faith in Westminster to look after your interests? Get real, at least in the EU there are 27 countries all looking over the shoulders of the bureaucrats making sure that their country isn't getting stiffed. After we leave it's back to the same old bunch in the the home counties looking after their own investments, so maybe the bankers might get more fun out of the EU but if you work in manufacturing there's a good chance you've voted for your own redundancy (strong vote to leave in Scunthorpe, goodbye British Steel, you're all out of work, well done).

Ok, rant over :-D

Anyhoo personally I wouldn't want this as a mandatory restriction but I guess I could live with it if it happened. If anything I'd be happier if a control system could be applied intelligently via some sort of regional transmitters, so that engines were restricted electronically in certain areas during certain hours.

Having said that, I live in a 30 zone and the published data from the speed warning cameras in the last quarter recorded a maximum recorded speed of 95mph at one end of the village and 90mph at the other. So maybe if it comes we'll all do a bit of moaning about it but eventually get used to it as the new sensible way of driving.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2019, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

winners and losers we leave some lose we stay some lose, gave up voting for any of them as all are full of **** and cant use the truth with anything, the whole world is at the beginning of mass population re programming in the name of saving the environment so whether car makers leave the uk now or in 5-10 years time its no real difference its going to happen anyway the brexit rubbish just gave them a easy way out from all the grants they got given to build factories in jobless areas, as china is pushing to have all of the manufacturing if they have their way, mini for a start have said the new mini phev will be built there cheaper and easier to get the ingredients for the cells even vag group have said the golf will go the same way.. its funny how we import more than export,
this is all by the by, as still most people dont like rules and laws being made that effect them by people who dont even live where they live do they, for years and years EU directives have cost small businesses a lot or just the guy who is self employed with the latest demand training course or cert or health and safety stuff or emissions regulations etc. my own view is this i will be fine there will be some form of transport to repair over the rest of my life and will adapt to what ever comes along as most with a few brain cells will if we stay or go, saying that more and more businesses are reporting problems finding staff and nhs are same, my local dentist who for years employed only eastern European dentists who were really good i might add can not find staff. this is not a rant its just the way i see it dont care how anyone else sees it.. i would think most people in business will adapt to what ever comes along and if they cant then should never of been in business in the first place,
calorgas likes this.

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2019, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

and another one is off to china then toyota link below, see the pattern that's forced along with emissions laws set where, hit the motorist while all them aeroplanes and lorry's and ships and india and pollute as much as they can, its not just the uk that will lose all the car making some might think. jeeez
https://uk.yahoo.com/finance/news/to...031821047.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in