Anyone know Roadster FG62 JUY Any issues with 2.0 SD Roadsters - MINI Cooper Forum

General Discussion Use this forum to discuss MINI topics which are not related to other forums. Posts may be moved from here to alternative forums by the moderators without notice

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2019, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 12:59 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Anyone know Roadster FG62 JUY Any issues with 2.0 SD Roadsters

Hi All, have put a holding deposit on a 2012 Mini Roadster 2.0 SD, just wondered if it’s anyones old car on here.

Also if there’s anything specific to look for with regard to both the 2.0 Diesel Engine or the Convertible soft top. How water tight are they?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2019, 03:37 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeweyMini View Post
Hi All, have put a holding deposit on a 2012 Mini Roadster 2.0 SD, just wondered if itís anyones old car on here.

Also if thereís anything specific to look for with regard to both the 2.0 Diesel Engine or the Convertible soft top. How water tight are they?

Cheers
any rattle noises from gearbox side of engine, will be timing chain or dual mass flywheel common 70-100k
particulate filter needs changing around 75k, the 2.0 diesels are N47 engines bmw own and used in the bmw cars as well very known for timing chains and because the chain is mounted on rear of engine its a gearbox or engine out to change, 2k bill,, or if snaps chain 5k bill for another engine common, this all said the 2.0 can be mapped and get some really good power from,,

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2019, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Thanks for the info.

Had a JCW a few years ago but as I now have a company car I also,want to have something cheap to run just to use when the suns out. Will watch out for those things, is the timing chain a common issue or just very unlucky to get a bad one?

Cheers

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2019, 06:25 AM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Thanks for the info.

Had a JCW a few years ago but as I now have a company car I also,want to have something cheap to run just to use when the suns out. Will watch out for those things, is the timing chain a common issue or just very unlucky to get a bad one?

Cheers
type in to google bmw n47 timing chain problems

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2019, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Hi,

A lot of the issues point to pre 2012 cars hoping a 62 reg late 2012 may not be so bad!! Or am I dreaming. Lol

Cheers
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2019, 07:31 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Hi,

A lot of the issues point to pre 2012 cars hoping a 62 reg late 2012 may not be so bad!! Or am I dreaming. Lol

Cheers
i've spent my whole life working on cars and i was a buyer of bmw diesels most of my life,,, until they decided to produce the n47 diesels the one before was a epic had timing chain at front never really gave any issues, only thing was swirl flaps but easy to remove. standard they were 150bhp but a remap would see north of 200bhp and reliable also the 325tds 6 cylinder engines were the dogs nuts last one i had done well over 270.000 miles or abuse,
the first n47 diesel 3 series i ever bought was new 2007 by 2011 it was dead chain snapped 67000 miles,, the big p=take was this, 1st off the timing chain is on rear of engine, engine out or gearbox out to get at it.. then the damage to all the valves and pistons and cylinder head,, hmmm another very special design that valves are angled and pistons are shaped in such a way it snaps the valves so engine totalled,, then the price for secondhand engines then add to that a used engine will need a new timing chain before fitting it.. looking £2000 without the 3-4 days labour of doing it all and my labour to me is free, but someone taking car to a garage if can find one that will block up a ramp for most of the week would be a pain to find,
if i ever owned one today and it had done around 70k i would just do a chain on it for piece of mind,, or just by a different diesel honda would be my direction they just dont go wrong
answer to your might be lucky, hmmm you might be you might buy one thats just had the chain done so should be good for 60-100k, its not a if its a when

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2019, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Bugger!! Lol

Sounds like a Roadster SD may not be a good idea then!! Had a quick look through the Roadster forum here and not much on it. I could purchase extended warranty but I will only do probably 3 to 4K a year so lot of expense the. Will a 3rd party warranty cover it!!

Got the chance of a Full Mazda history MX-5 Roadster (hardtop) convertible 2.0 petrol 57plate only 34k miles at a very good price, maybe that would be a better option. Just wanted something cheap to tax so if it sat there doing nothing all year I wouldn’t mind. Lol
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2019, 09:40 AM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Bugger!! Lol

Sounds like a Roadster SD may not be a good idea then!! Had a quick look through the Roadster forum here and not much on it. I could purchase extended warranty but I will only do probably 3 to 4K a year so lot of expense the. Will a 3rd party warranty cover it!!

Got the chance of a Full Mazda history MX-5 Roadster (hardtop) convertible 2.0 petrol 57plate only 34k miles at a very good price, maybe that would be a better option. Just wanted something cheap to tax so if it sat there doing nothing all year I wouldnít mind. Lol
those mazda's are epic i've had a few over the years couple 2004 mk 2.5 i converted to turbo cars over 300bhp with turbo Technics and bigger injectors etc,
the later cars even better to live with pre 2006 ones did suffer rust around rear end,
the nissan 350z is another good one, or better still a toyota supra twin turbo i've owned one for years bullet proof, but going up in price which is a good thing if buy one at right money,, ie get to own a epic car and sooooo fast only car that has come close to my fireblade for balls out fun, and the best part only ever going to increase in value,
as for any bmw pruduct with its timing chain at rear of engine hmmm very expensive when fails almost like they done that for a reason, ie when these cars get to 80-120k its to expensive to repair so gets scrapped,, as all car makers hate seeing their old stock cars littered and the roads,, whole they try and sell new stuff,

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2019, 09:43 AM
MINI2 Senior

Local Time: 01:59 AM
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male View Mid Life Mini's Classified Ads

I had a 2015 R59 Roadster SD from new and couldn’t fault it, no issues with the engine in 40k miles and never had to top the oil up. The only issue I had was that MINI had to replace the roof, just before the warranty ended because when it was down it must have rubbed on something and had caused a 2 inch wear line on it, so check that if you can, I will as told it cost about £1500 to replace.

It was a great car, did a road trip to Scotland and got over 60 MPG and over the life of the car I managed 54MPG.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2019, 06:23 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

with 40k on them yep fairly safe mileage, but for the many people with north of 80k on them its been expensive, as a new car with warranty great car engine pulls like a train etc, they just dont do well with higher mileages,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in