Which engine is Good/Bad in 1st generation Countryman? - MINI Cooper Forum

General Discussion Use this forum to discuss MINI topics which are not related to other forums. Posts may be moved from here to alternative forums by the moderators without notice

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2019, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 10:31 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Which engine is Good/Bad in 1st generation Countryman?

I'm looking for a reliable car with good economy, 4wd and a little bit higher ground clearance.
Is there any engine in the 1st generation Countryman that might suite my needs?
The diesel engines (1.6 & 2.0) initially caught my interest, but i understand there might be some kind of timeing chain issues with the diesels, how bad is it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2019, 09:48 AM
knt
MINI2 Regular

Quoted: 34 Post(s)

https://www.carbuyer.co.uk/reviews/m.../owner-reviews

https://www.whatcar.com/mini/country...ew/n770/advice

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2019, 03:00 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 627 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeEr79 View Post
I'm looking for a reliable car with good economy, 4wd and a little bit higher ground clearance.
Is there any engine in the 1st generation Countryman that might suite my needs?
The diesel engines (1.6 & 2.0) initially caught my interest, but i understand there might be some kind of timeing chain issues with the diesels, how bad is it?
its long as its broad,,,, petrol also needs timing chain doing on the later engine n18 engines 70-100k treat it like a timing belt and its ok,, fairly easy second time to replace as a diy item,,
the diesel are on another level of stupid to be honest, or maybe total genius depending on who's side you are on,, ie the poor bugger who owns the car when it needs it or the company making money on repairing it when out of warranty as most are,,, they mounted the timing chain at the rear of engine its engine out or gearbox out to replace it, or should say them, special tools needed and no second chances if get it wrong, also dual mass flywheel tends to barely do 100k beofre rattle a lot of people think this rattle is the flywheel and dont get it looked at to find shortly after the chain has jumped teeth and hmmm well i have not seen one yet that was not totally destroyed you cant compress valves in to the very small combustion chamber left. ie complete engine and the bonus is finding one that dont need the chain replacing before fitting and all are over a grand closer to 2k plus a massive labour bill. also diesels dpf filters need changing around 70-100k if dont done engine keeps adding fuel that dont get burnt and waters the engine oil down with diesels and bang goes motor and turbo,, vauxhall and vag cars all do this trick as do alfa , if change the chains DIY 2 day job 400 in parts and would always do clutch and flywheel while its out after that you know you have a good 70k plus and then they are a great diesel to drive go well pull well not bad mpg,, have it mapped and they go very well, even better dpf delete egr delete and remap gets rid of other expensive issues and improves the life of chains,
shame bmw did not use the psa 2.0 litre diesels in the countryman so much better to live with as was the 1.6 psa clubman's but even they have some things that need doing.

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1967 View Post
its long as its broad,,,, petrol also needs timing chain doing on the later engine n18 engines 70-100k treat it like a timing belt and its ok,, fairly easy second time to replace as a diy item,,
the diesel are on another level of stupid to be honest, or maybe total genius depending on who's side you are on,, ie the poor bugger who owns the car when it needs it or the company making money on repairing it when out of warranty as most are,,, they mounted the timing chain at the rear of engine its engine out or gearbox out to replace it, or should say them, special tools needed and no second chances if get it wrong, also dual mass flywheel tends to barely do 100k beofre rattle a lot of people think this rattle is the flywheel and dont get it looked at to find shortly after the chain has jumped teeth and hmmm well i have not seen one yet that was not totally destroyed you cant compress valves in to the very small combustion chamber left. ie complete engine and the bonus is finding one that dont need the chain replacing before fitting and all are over a grand closer to 2k plus a massive labour bill. also diesels dpf filters need changing around 70-100k if dont done engine keeps adding fuel that dont get burnt and waters the engine oil down with diesels and bang goes motor and turbo,, vauxhall and vag cars all do this trick as do alfa , if change the chains DIY 2 day job 400 in parts and would always do clutch and flywheel while its out after that you know you have a good 70k plus and then they are a great diesel to drive go well pull well not bad mpg,, have it mapped and they go very well, even better dpf delete egr delete and remap gets rid of other expensive issues and improves the life of chains,
shame bmw did not use the psa 2.0 litre diesels in the countryman so much better to live with as was the 1.6 psa clubman's but even they have some things that need doing.
This sounds bad..really bad. Feels I have to forget about Minis and keep on searching. It ain't easy to find a little smaller 4wd Suv/Crossover that's economical to own/use.. =/
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Today, 07:04 AM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 627 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeEr79 View Post
This sounds bad..really bad. Feels I have to forget about Minis and keep on searching. It ain't easy to find a little smaller 4wd Suv/Crossover that's economical to own/use.. =/
trouble is like i said all car's are as long as they are broad, take vauxhall Opel Chrysler they do a suv 4x4 they use two engines 2.0cdti and 1.7 cdti both these engines through even brand fail worse than a mini does. ie 2.0 cdti always get crankshaft failures due to dpf filter blockage and the oil ring between the oil pump and cylinder block,
vw audi seat vag group cars they all do 4x4suv 2.0 diesels need new oil pumps every 50k and oil pump drive shafts fail on the ones with out balance shafts, add the endless injector and very expensive egr valves on them.. the fsi and tfi engines have same as mini timing chains. and the hadex 4x4 system do go faulty and are expensive also need special serivcing every 40k, the DFG gearboxes fail a lot so expensive to repair,
ford do a kuga its not bad in many ways but like ever car on the road some get issues all will get issues with time and mileage as all cars do,, all above dont even begin that every diesel car gets ie with emissions based problem is another thing no one can avoid except by not buying a diesel.
or buy something a year old have a warranty and avoid the maybe's that come with 70k plus cars or no your likely problems and budget in to the plan to replace some things

added point, if i were looking for a diesel suv any suv that has a timing chain mounted to rear or engine that is known to wear out where the maker has had over 10 years to fix this known weakness,, but for a lot of people dont give issues to well in to 100k mark but so many barely hit 80k , i personally stopped buying any bmw product with this design after buying a brand new 3 series diesel that never got to 70k that had 8k oil changes and was spoilt form day one, to have chain slip to find after head off the whole engine to be destroy'd. to have bmw tell me that as car was 3 months out of warranty its my problem,,, never again.
the petrol engines are ok not to expensive to replace the timing chain even cheaper if DIY the job 200 plus locking tool.
mercedes ml 320 very good suv diesel. honda crv and toyota rav 4, stay away for Nissan Qashqai it shares its engines with renault 2.0 1.5 dci engines see them with big failures a lot, the top 3 never seem to go wrong, all 4x4 stuff will need the normal stuff clutch and flywheels around 100k turbo 80-120k dpf filters 80k etc,

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Last edited by mike1967; Today at 08:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in