History of engine evolution in the R56? - MINI Cooper Forum

General Discussion Use this forum to discuss MINI topics which are not related to other forums. Posts may be moved from here to alternative forums by the moderators without notice

1Likes
  • 1 Post By steveharman

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2019, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 09:54 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)

United Kingdom

History of engine evolution in the R56?

I'm looking for an R56 FJCW. My budget leads me to the 2007-2009 era cars. Initially, I did some research and thought I had my head around the engine changes that were introduced around the time, but now I'm not so sure! :-)

iirc there was a change to engine design/performance around the 2007/8 time, resulting in slightly higher HP and possibly even fuel economy from the newer engine? If true then does anyone know what year I should go for to ensure I have the newer one, please? And ideally what to look for on a registration document to confirm it.

Thanks,

Steve

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2019, 10:01 AM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 08:54 AM
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 652 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveharman View Post
I'm looking for an R56 FJCW. My budget leads me to the 2007-2009 era cars. Initially, I did some research and thought I had my head around the engine changes that were introduced around the time, but now I'm not so sure! :-)

iirc there was a change to engine design/performance around the 2007/8 time, resulting in slightly higher HP and possibly even fuel economy from the newer engine? If true then does anyone know what year I should go for to ensure I have the newer one, please? And ideally what to look for on a registration document to confirm it.

Thanks,

Steve
Prince is the codename for a family of automobile straight-4 engines developed by PSA Peugeot CitroŽn and BMW. It is a compact engine family of 1.4Ė1.6 L in displacement and includes most modern features including gasoline direct injection, turbocharging, BMW VANOS and variable valve timing.

The BMW versions of the Prince engine are known as the N13 and the Mini versions are known as the N14 and N18. It replaced the Tritec engine family in the Mini and was first introduced in 2006 for MINI. Later in 2011 also for BMW models F20 116i and 118i. This was the first longitudinal engine mount option for Prince engine.

PSA has started to use the Prince family in 2006 to replace a part of their TU family (the other part being replaced by the EB engine) ó the Peugeot 207 being the first car to receive it.

The engine's components are produced by PSA at their Douvrin, France, facility, with MINI and BMW engine assembly at Hams Hall in Warwickshire, UK.[citation needed] The co-operation was announced on 23 July 2002 with the first engines produced in 2006. The Prince engine project is not related to the Prince Motor Company.

In late 2006, an extension of the cooperation between the two groups was announced,[1] promising new four-cylinder engines, without further details.

On 29 September 2010, it was announced by BMW[2][3] that the 1.6Turbo version of the Prince engine would be supplied from 2012 to Saab for use in forthcoming models, primarily the 9-3. However with the closure of SAAB supply never started.

At the Geneva Auto Show 2011, Saab unveiled their latest concept vehicle Saab PhoeniX with BMW Prince Engine 1.6T 200 bhp (149 kW; 203 PS); [4]

On 25 June 2014 1.6-litre turbo Prince engine won its eighth consecutive International Engine of the Year Award in the 1.4 to 1.8-litre category. In 2014 the Prince engine beat, among others,the new BMW B38 engine which is replacing the Prince engine in the Mini and BMW lineups.
the better engines came around 2010 with the turbo engines N18 a much better more power engine

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2019, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom

Thanks @mike1967

I now know more much than I did! So would it be safe to say that the engine used in the R56 manufactured between 2008-2010 is the same unit? And as a result, the FJCW R56s produced between 2008-2010 would be the same spec as each other?

I'm just trying to establish if engine performance & economy changed during that window. Seems not.

Cheers

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2019, 03:20 PM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 08:54 AM
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 652 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveharman View Post
Thanks @mike1967

I now know more much than I did! So would it be safe to say that the engine used in the R56 manufactured between 2008-2010 is the same unit? And as a result, the FJCW R56s produced between 2008-2010 would be the same spec as each other?

I'm just trying to establish if engine performance & economy changed during that window. Seems not.

Cheers
yes pretty much the same might have some fuelling ecu software changes between the years but these would be slight progressions to keep in line with EU emissions laws and future mot checks etc,
the prince engine has two 3 types of cylinder head as such, the non turbo 1.4 and 1.6 engines are not direct injection but are both vvt twin vanos units,, when the pre 2010 turbo engines are single vanos inlet cam shaft only and vvt,, where the post 2010 n18 ie turbo cooper s engines are twin vanos and vvt and so much more of a motor to be honest 300bhp is fairly easy from them,, but all these engines have same cylinder blocks, same crankshafts and more importantly same timing chains so all suffer from same issues with chain stretch, the post 2010 timing chains have longer chain tensioner that will fit the early engines, this was bmw's answer to timing chains failing as low as 24k it dont fix nothing it just mores the when it happens a bit later down the road... its about time they admitted their error and it duplex chains and double thickness sprockets, hmm a easy convert one would think,, but more evidence that its all part of their plan to make money more fail when out of warranty means more money for them maybe, where the real effect is people will stop buying them after feeling like they were shafted the last time i guess.. lost count the amount of people who after finding out chain stretched and low miles have said to me never again, learn how to replace the chain your self and its fixable under £100 each time need a chain then they become very reliable on many levels.

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mike1967 For This Useful Post:
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2019, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom

Perfect, cheers Mike. Clear as day now, thanks as always.

Steve
mike1967 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in