MINI Cooper Forum banner

Coolant leak from reservoir

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Busyb187 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. New to the Mini world but im loving it so far. Only have a slight ptoblem. I have a 2005 Mini Cooper S manual trans. The car runs fine but randomly the coolant overflows and spills from the reservoir tank. Cames out of the cap. Any ideas? Anything helps. And thanks in adavnce. Oh by the way, I have just owned this baby for a little under a month.

#5 ·
when bleeding them only put just enough water each time that can see it in bottom of the filler neck this will allow air out without throwing the water as well its painful slow have heater on full hot, even worth jack car up at rear can help clear air from rad same as jacking up at front can help air out of heater pipe work, i would do a sniff test on it for piece of mind link below will tell you if carbons in water jacket from cylinders it turns yellow if there is, save any guess work

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-3-BLO...959824&hash=item4200fe5f0a:g:MuUAAOSwLEtYi8Gi
they are prone to gasket failures with age and mileages

#6 ·
Ok so here I go again. I rebled the system and still same issue. I check the fans with direct 12v and the low fan doesnt turn on while the high does with direct 12v. If thats the issue what can be causing the low fan not to work? Do i need to replace the fan assembly?

#7 ·
#9 ·
i always wondered if a simple mod could be done with gen 1 mini's ie put a t-piece in to the heater feed pipe and put a pipe from it to a gen 2 header tank like just about every car on road has, if can have 2 inches of air to expand in to might need to run a small pipe to top radiator hose some how, that would self bleed out better, one day a gen 1 will turn up and i will have a go at it see if its possible to improve it,, really do think it would so do away with filling it at cylinder head

#10 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.