Engine light on + water flowing sound + coolant tank empty... - MINI Cooper Forum
Maintenance & MINI Care
Find Sponsor products associated with this forum
Questions and advice on keeping your MINI in top shape, from engine oil to body wax

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 2015, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 01:49 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom

Unhappy Engine light on + water flowing sound + coolant tank empty...

Hi guys, my Mini One's yellow engine warning light came on last night, and I found the coolant tank completely empty. But the temperature indicator didn't show the car as being overheated. I filled the coolant this morning but the engine light stays on. I know many 2006 models had the coolant tank problem but mine had it fixed by Mini dealer a couple of years ago, and it never had any problem. I had a full service with Halford Autocentre a few weeks ago. As soon as I left the garage I heard a strange water flowing sound coming from under the dashboard, like there was half bottle of water there. The sound was obvious, and the car never had it before. The screenwash they filled in my car was in blue colour and could never wipe clean. I probably shouldn't have ignored the issues at that point. Thinking about it now I suspect they put screenwash in my coolant tank and coolant in screenwash tank. Not sure what I should do now and whether my engine has been damaged. Any ideas? I'm thinking of going to another dealer to check why engine light came on and whether anything was damaged by the full service, and get an assessment report if I need to claim compensation. Am I too nervous?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 2015, 08:45 PM
MINI2 Regular

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)

England Male

Hi. Are you with the AA, if you are you could give them a shout.
I've seen what happens when coolant is put in the screen wash and it's as you say, just smears and no way will it clear the screen. Thermostat housing may be leaking, so check under the plastic housing to see if it's wet.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2015, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep61 View Post
Hi. Are you with the AA, if you are you could give them a shout.
I've seen what happens when coolant is put in the screen wash and it's as you say, just smears and no way will it clear the screen. Thermostat housing may be leaking, so check under the plastic housing to see if it's wet.
Thanks! The engine warning light came off today. Checked coolant level and it was 2cm below where it was yesterday. Checked after a short drive but it wasn't wet under the thermostat housing. I will take it to a local garage this weekend. Unfortunately I forgot to renew my AA last month...

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2015, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom

Anyone else also having the water flowing sound when starting the car? I don't think mine had it before the service...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in