2011 Cooper S Convertable strong petrol smell inside and out - MINI Cooper Forum

Maintenance & MINI Care
Find Sponsor products associated with this forum
Questions and advice on keeping your MINI in top shape, from engine oil to body wax

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Boo16

Local Time: 05:26 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom

2011 Cooper S Convertable strong petrol smell inside and out

Hi
I can smell strong petrol fumes inside my 2011 Mini Cooper s. It's noticibly worse on starting or sitting in traffic. I got it last July (2016) from a mini dealer. After a month it had to go back into mini as the hood was leaking and while it was in I told them I could smell petrol. When I picked the car up I was told there were no leaks and it's likely to be carbon build up and suggested I put an additive in the petrol to clean it I did that but could still slightly smell petrol. Over the winter these fumes are awful, I won't have the heater on full as I think that just makes it worse. Ive been out tonight to put air in my tyres and had to start the engine to power the tyre pump. The petrol smell is really strong inside and out. Is this really normal for a cooper S or was I just being fobbed off? I'm worried If this car is safe as I usually have my 2 children with me and really don't want it blowing up or poisioning us.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 08:16 PM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 05:26 PM
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)

United Kingdom

If you can smell fumes and petrol then the car IS NOT SAFE and needs to be diagnosed and repaired immediately. BMW/ MINI are useless so take the car to a reputable garage and have it checked out

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in