Sunroof problems 2009 mini - MINI Cooper Forum
Maintenance & MINI Care
Find Sponsor products associated with this forum
Questions and advice on keeping your MINI in top shape, from engine oil to body wax

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2017, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 12:22 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Sunroof problems 2009 mini

Hi. Weirdest thing happen out of nowhere, I was parked listening to the radio for a few min. When I tried to Start the car everything went dead. No lights. No nothing. Tried to jump it. Took us 20 min. Wouldn't turn over. Since then I noticed the sunroof won't work well. Starts to open. And then stops, Then closes, Then stops.
I checked rhe battery at auto zone. They say all is good with batt and alt.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2017, 05:15 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmazz View Post
Hi. Weirdest thing happen out of nowhere, I was parked listening to the radio for a few min. When I tried to Start the car everything went dead. No lights. No nothing. Tried to jump it. Took us 20 min. Wouldn't turn over. Since then I noticed the sunroof won't work well. Starts to open. And then stops, Then closes, Then stops.

MINI body control unit complaints - Professional Motor Mechanic
click above link

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2017, 10:13 AM
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 01:22 AM
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Cyprus Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmazz View Post

Did you reinitialize the sunroof?

With the engine running, keep the sunroof button pressed to the first intent (i.e. manual closing). Keep it there and after a about 20s the sunroof will go through a complete opening/closing sequence. Once it closes release the button.

That should re-write all values that might be battery related. If the problem persists, then it might be a mechanical issue.

PS: It is difficult to diagnose a battery, cause what they do is just read the voltage. I have seen dead batteries report 13+ V, but when you actually try to pull any current out of them they just go flat. This is why MINI's onboard computer is also ineffective in predicting battery condition, as it relies only on the voltage reading. With a healthy battery you would have gotten a warning of "increased battery consumption", as the voltage drops as the battery is depleted. So I would recommend you replace your battery ASAP.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alexcannas For This Useful Post:

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2017, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcannas View Post
Did you reinitialize the sunroof?

With the engine running, keep the sunroof button pressed to the first intent (i.e. manual closing). Keep it there and after a about 20s the sunroof will go through a complete opening/closing sequence. Once it closes release the button.

That should re-write all values that might be battery related. If the problem persists, then it might be a mechanical issue.

PS: It is difficult to diagnose a battery, cause what they do is just read the voltage. I have seen dead batteries report 13+ V, but when you actually try to pull any current out of them they just go flat. This is why MINI's onboard computer is also ineffective in predicting battery condition, as it relies only on the voltage reading. With a healthy battery you would have gotten a warning of "increased battery consumption", as the voltage drops as the battery is depleted. So I would recommend you replace your battery ASAP.
Worked perfectly, u saved me few hundred dollars. Was going to take it to repair shop

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2017, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Thanks again. Will replace batt, do u recommend any particular brand , 2009 basic model

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in