MCS R56 - 5w30 or 5w40 oil in hot climate? - MINI Cooper Forum

Maintenance & MINI Care
Find Sponsor products associated with this forum
Questions and advice on keeping your MINI in top shape, from engine oil to body wax

View Poll Results: Which oil for hot climate (40+ degrees Celsius in summer)
Shell Ultra I 5w-40 0 0%
Motul Competition oil 0 0%
Shell 10w-60 0 0%
Stick to Shell 5w-30 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 2018, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
2002 cooper owner

Local Time: 05:31 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Montenegro

MCS R56 - 5w30 or 5w40 oil in hot climate?

I have an MCS R56 with ~145,000 kilometres on the clock. I live in a country where summers are hot (+40'C is quite normal) and winters are quite mild (we just had 2 days of snowy weather after a few years of no snow at all). I need to replace the engine oil in both my R56 and my R50. I have been using the recommended Castrol, and then recommended Shell 5w-30 synthetic oil. However, now that I need to change it, I hear different suggestions:
1. Put Shell Ultra I 5w-40, since it's a bit thicker and better for our hot climate
2. Put Motul Competition oil, its the best (no grading was recommended at the time)
3. Put Shell 10w-60, it's good for BMW M3, it will be good for MCS (a guy uses it in his MCS chipped to 205hp)
4. Stick to 5w-30

I have noticed this ticking sound after driving it for several hundred kilometres during summer, some people say it's because of engine oil becoming lean, so they recommend a thicker oil. Here's a video I made, try to listen to the audio:

youtu.be/2EmfkLW4zEM

What is the reason for this and which oil should I use, especially since I plan to chip my car to ~205hp as well?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 2018, 12:14 PM
cristo

Local Time: 12:31 AM
Quoted: 37 Post(s)

United States Male View cristo's Hot Chocolate & Silver 2nd Gen MINI John Cooper Works Clubman Profile

Garage
How about 0W40?

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 2018, 12:52 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by joriq View Post
I have an MCS R56 with ~145,000 kilometres on the clock. I live in a country where summers are hot (+40'C is quite normal) and winters are quite mild (we just had 2 days of snowy weather after a few years of no snow at all). I need to replace the engine oil in both my R56 and my R50. I have been using the recommended Castrol, and then recommended Shell 5w-30 synthetic oil. However, now that I need to change it, I hear different suggestions:
1. Put Shell Ultra I 5w-40, since it's a bit thicker and better for our hot climate
2. Put Motul Competition oil, its the best (no grading was recommended at the time)
3. Put Shell 10w-60, it's good for BMW M3, it will be good for MCS (a guy uses it in his MCS chipped to 205hp)
4. Stick to 5w-30

I have noticed this ticking sound after driving it for several hundred kilometres during summer, some people say it's because of engine oil becoming lean, so they recommend a thicker oil. Here's a video I made, try to listen to the audio:

youtu.be/2EmfkLW4zEM

What is the reason for this and which oil should I use, especially since I plan to chip my car to ~205hp as well?
think the question is does you car exceed the 87 degrees to 99.9 degrees it is designed to run at no matter how hot it is in the atmosphere if it does then cooling fan or temp sensor or thermostat would be wise to check them, the prince engine is designed to run correctly on what oil the makers say is correct fo it, as with hydraulic followers and more so the vanos vvt must have correct oil to have correct flow and pressure when hot,, the cooling fan will run flat and the air flow it produces lowers the air temp through the radiator even in hot country's,,, seen many problems over the years by people thinking their guess of oil type is more informed that a multi million pounds test lads the car makes and oil companies use to work it all out,, if a engine is ticking best find out why,, sometimes a good engine flush will free up a lifter,

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
Thanks for this post from:

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 2018, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
2002 cooper owner

Montenegro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristo View Post
How about 0W40?
why should I go for that, please elaborate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1967 View Post
think the question is does you car exceed the 87 degrees to 99.9 degrees it is designed to run at no matter how hot it is in the atmosphere if it does then cooling fan or temp sensor or thermostat would be wise to check them, the prince engine is designed to run correctly on what oil the makers say is correct fo it, as with hydraulic followers and more so the vanos vvt must have correct oil to have correct flow and pressure when hot,, the cooling fan will run flat and the air flow it produces lowers the air temp through the radiator even in hot country's,,, seen many problems over the years by people thinking their guess of oil type is more informed that a multi million pounds test lads the car makes and oil companies use to work it all out,, if a engine is ticking best find out why,, sometimes a good engine flush will free up a lifter,
you just might have a point there: a few months after making that video, I got a "warning, engine overheating!" message, it turned out my thermostat was gone and water coolant container (or what's it called) was leaking, so it was probably not working at it's best even before. So, I'm doing the oil change tomorrow, I'll stick to recommended Shell AML 5W-30 and see how it goes...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 2018, 01:00 PM
cristo

Local Time: 12:31 AM
Quoted: 37 Post(s)

United States Male View cristo's Hot Chocolate & Silver 2nd Gen MINI John Cooper Works Clubman Profile

Garage
There are a couple good [email protected] with LL-01 and B3/B4 certification (at least here in the US), they have good cold start up characteristics, and enough viscosity for higher ambient temperature use.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 2018, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
2002 cooper owner

Montenegro

mu reasoning was that there might be a reason why Mini recommends LL-04 for R56 MCSs... Also, here temperatures rarely go below zero, so what the authorised dealer will give you is 5w-30, not 0w-30...

After all reading and digging, at least for this oil change I decided to go with Shell AML 5W-30 once again. One more reason: not all oil can be drained from the oil pan and engine by just using the drain plug method, some amount always stays, so I did not want to mix new with remaining old oil...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 2018, 06:41 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by joriq View Post
mu reasoning was that there might be a reason why Mini recommends LL-04 for R56 MCSs... Also, here temperatures rarely go below zero, so what the authorised dealer will give you is 5w-30, not 0w-30...

After all reading and digging, at least for this oil change I decided to go with Shell AML 5W-30 once again. One more reason: not all oil can be drained from the oil pan and engine by just using the drain plug method, some amount always stays, so I did not want to mix new with remaining old oil...
seen many engines get destroyed by wrong oil used very common mistake people make, the worst cars for it vag group pd engines its kills off the cam shafts on them

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mike1967 For This Useful Post:
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 2018, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
2002 cooper owner

Montenegro

that's what I've read as well. You MIGHT get something by going for different specced oil, but then again you might lose A LOT...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags: , , , , ,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in