2009 1.6D Mini cooper engine replace help - MINI Cooper Forum

Maintenance & MINI Care
Find Sponsor products associated with this forum
Questions and advice on keeping your MINI in top shape, from engine oil to body wax

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2018, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 10:56 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

2009 1.6D Mini cooper engine replace help

Hello Guys

New to the forum and i must say what a great club forum.

Was wondering if anyone has done a how to guide on replacing the engine on a 2009 cooper 1.6D

Thanks
Adam

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2018, 08:24 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

@mike1967 might have some advice regarding engine removal!

He's the 2nd gen wizard on 'ere

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to minione2002 For This Useful Post:
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2018, 09:29 AM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam100 View Post
Hello Guys

New to the forum and i must say what a great club forum.

Was wondering if anyone has done a how to guide on replacing the engine on a 2009 cooper 1.6D

Thanks
Adam
last one i done i left the gearbox attached to driveshafts and undone the gear box mount and levered the engine out after removing the alternator it can be done very tight, use ed a engine crane and some help to lever it in to place,
that all said removing the engine on the gearbox at same time ie things to do below
need car on axle stands wheels off the ground
1. remove front end both head lights front bumper and crash section and radiator front plastic panel all the panel comes off complete with rad and inter cooler in it,
2 the easiest way to buy a replacement engine is ask the seller to leave the engine wiring harness on it, so when change its just plug and unplug job to ecu and battery etc so easy this way,
3 split bottom ball joints to allow drive shafts to come out of gear box drain gearbox before. the driverside shaft must be removed complete undo exhaust flange and would drain oil as well.. the engine and box will come out from the top and means can leave the sub frame in car,,
4 undo wiring to engine at the ecu and alternator etc and any other pipe works,
if your changing the engine i would also do flywheel and clutch at same time also would change the oil seal on rear of crankshaft, also would do timing belt water pump while its out just makes life easier
if you change engine and keep the injectors from new engine you will need to reprogram them last one i done was a 40.000 mile engine complete with wiring injectors dpf filter the lot so i use autocom to program injectors and reset dpf filter etc
if leaving gear box in will need to remove the bottom pulley alternator and tensioner and engine mount and plastic covers for timing belt and undo the gearbox mount on passengers side to push gear box to the passenger side when remove and install engine, very tight but will just come out and in

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Last edited by mike1967; Apr 21st, 2018 at 10:54 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mike1967 For This Useful Post:

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Many thanks for your replies minione2002 and mike1967.

At the minute i am trying to source a good used engine, i don't suppose anyone knows where to get hold of one cheaply

Would it be worth considering doing a conversion to a Single/solid flywheel ?

Is there a pdf,video, diagrams, pics available that someone can kindly share for an engine replacement. That also gives info on torque values etc.

Thanks
Adam
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 06:53 AM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam100 View Post
Many thanks for your replies minione2002 and mike1967.

At the minute i am trying to source a good used engine, i don't suppose anyone knows where to get hold of one cheaply

Would it be worth considering doing a conversion to a Single/solid flywheel ?

Is there a pdf,video, diagrams, pics available that someone can kindly share for an engine replacement. That also gives info on torque values etc.

Thanks
Adam
hmmm cheap mini 1.6 hdi engine good luck with that one, i found a 40.000 miles one on ebay for £890 last time i done one came complete with wiring harness plug and play, as for solid flywheel not a fan they all seem to be cheaply made and vibrate a lot more and totally change the way you use the clutch,
i tend to rebuild them as at least know what you got, ie engine out crankshaft out regrind new bearings £200ish head stuff £100 timing belt water £80 piston ring set £60 cam follwers £70 its just a lot of work but get what any engine rebuilder does to them when do a refresh job,
another way you might save some money is buy replacement engine from a ford or peugeot from the breakers as it same engine used, just change wiring harness and sensor from mini engine over,

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in