Newbie to the Mini. What the most reliable one to buy? - MINI Cooper Forum

Maintenance & MINI Care
Find Sponsor products associated with this forum
Questions and advice on keeping your MINI in top shape, from engine oil to body wax

2Likes
  • 1 Post By minione2002
  • 1 Post By mike1967

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2018, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 10:51 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Newbie to the Mini. What the most reliable one to buy?

Hi all, I am new to this forum and seeking a new mini.

I'm not after the sporty version, I am after a regular diesel or petrol that I can get a lot of miles from. I tend to keep cars a long time. Current car a rover 75 has 220k miles on it. What version mini would I get similar without massive bills as I have read about timing chains and clutches failing etc?

Budget 10k

thanks again

Ian

Last edited by minione2002; Jun 8th, 2018 at 04:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2018, 04:54 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

If you're looking for a modern'ish mini then look no further than the 2007-2010 Mini Cooper D

These are fitted with the pretty Bombproof 1.6 HDI

They require a good thrash now and again to help with DPF regeneration

And timing belts require replacement every 100k.

After 2010 they switched to the n47 BMW diesel which is largely known for its timing chain stretching and failing.

Avoid all petrols from 2007-2010 if possible, if your heart is set on a Petrol try and go for a 2010+ LCI model with the N18 engine.

@mike1967 will be able to brief you on all the HDI's quirks.

mike1967 likes this.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2018, 05:41 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by minione2002 View Post
If you're looking for a modern'ish mini then look no further than the 2007-2010 Mini Cooper D

These are fitted with the pretty Bombproof 1.6 HDI

They require a good thrash now and again to help with DPF regeneration

And timing belts require replacement every 100k.

After 2010 they switched to the n47 BMW diesel which is largely known for its timing chain stretching and failing.

Avoid all petrols from 2007-2010 if possible, if your heart is set on a Petrol try and go for a 2010+ LCI model with the N18 engine.

@mike1967 will be able to brief you on all the HDI's quirks.
i just done my clubman cooper d on 90.000 miles new turbo, new dpf filter timing belt water pump etc, i use reconditioned turbo's from uk outlets under 200 and the dpf filter 112 timing belt water pump kit gates 79 just do all this every 75-100k and they are best option mine is one of the last psa diesel on later 2009-59 plate, my last one was mapped its was 58 plate sold it on 112k still got 4k for it and done all of the above,, 161 bhp at the wheels mainly mapped for economy was getting 50mph 80mpg on the flat around town late sixtys,
the later diesel bmw n47 is a total pug in my book what total idiot would mount a timing chain in such a way that engine out to replace it, and make it so it stretches like the petrol engines do, hmm pattern there, just thought i would answer matey via your mention bud
minione2002 likes this.

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in