How I keep my MINI looking great all year round - MINI Cooper Forum
Maintenance & MINI Care
Find Sponsor products associated with this forum
Questions and advice on keeping your MINI in top shape, from engine oil to body wax

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2019, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 04:17 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

How I keep my MINI looking great all year round

Preparing for each season is no easy task, so throughout my many moons of buying and selling cars across this great country (40 years to be exact), I have discovered the following:
• Check your oil every week
• Always be aware of your road conditions
• Never trust a mechanic
• Protect your car during the winter
All these points have provided me with the insight and knowledge to be sure that my quality vehicles will stay as such. Having a car that is worth more than some people earn in a year is a huge responsibly, but it doesn’t have to be impossible. Keeping a record of fluids and mileage will go a long way, as will checking who exactly is the person doing maintenance on your vehicle. My final point (and the most important) is winterizing your vehicle; in all my years I have found that a car that will survive the winter, will survive a lifetime. The Number one protector during the wintertime is a car cover. I’m not one to acclaim but in this case, I have to mention www.carcover.com ; their covers have protected my vehicles like no other! With their durable and light materials, I can guarantee they will keep your car looking like new throughout the tough seasons.
In conclusion, being prepared for the changes your car and the world around it will be making play a massive part in keeping the integrity of your vehicle. Stay on top of maintenance, be aware of your cars needs and of course; buy a car cover.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2019, 07:03 AM
MINI2 Regular

Quoted: 53 Post(s)

Spain Male

I have a problem with car covers. There is an argument that they prevent the car drying and keep everything moist. This is a problem in areas where roads are heavily salted (like Scotland). I prefer mine to be regularly pressure washed and left to dry and see no problem with it being exposed to the elements, modern paint finishes are very durable so feel no need to encase the car in a 'bag'. I also trust mechanics when I am stuck but I do check their work if I have used one.

Cooper 2009, R57.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2019, 04:01 PM
MINI2 Regular

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Garage
FWIW, I use a cover on my ragtop when snow is forecast. I clean and re-treat my roof with an autoglym kit every 6 months regardless of the condition of the roof - it has usually gained some minor mould - but as my car sits near a deciduous tree, it is more likely to collect dirt and detritus from the branches. So, whenever there's severe weather in the offing, I cover it with a cheap waterproof from Halfwits. As the car is now 9 years old, I'm hoping to avoid a 1500 quid replacement as far as possible and I have convinced myself that heavy snow is not going to do it any good.
If I can be bothered I use it when severe frost is expected too, just to save time scraping the glass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in