Will my 02 Mini have central locking? - MINI Cooper Forum

Maintenance & MINI Care
Find Sponsor products associated with this forum
Questions and advice on keeping your MINI in top shape, from engine oil to body wax

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2019, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 11:50 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Talking Will my 02 Mini have central locking?

Sorry to ask a very simple question, but Ive just purchased a tired 02 reg mini and want to revitalise it and drive it to work and back every day. Ive only got one key, and its not a remote key. Would this car of this age have had central locking and if so how do I get another key and use it, if possible without going to a main dealer. Im sure they are very expensive.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2019, 08:51 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingy View Post
Sorry to ask a very simple question, but Ive just purchased a tired 02 reg mini and want to revitalise it and drive it to work and back every day. Ive only got one key, and its not a remote key. Would this car of this age have had central locking and if so how do I get another key and use it, if possible without going to a main dealer. Im sure they are very expensive.
I have a mini cooper, same age and it has full central locking. However, I only have one key that has locking buttons the 2nd key I have will just open the car and start it up.

I think central locking was offered as a feature when the car was released but I could be wrong. How many keys do you have?

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2019, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Hi I only have one mechanical key, no Central locking key at all. I've contacted BMW Mini and to get a new one, provided and programmed is 235.00. it's all old car, I wondered if there was a cheaper option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeHughes View Post
Quote:
I have a mini cooper, same age and it has full central locking. However, I only have one key that has locking buttons the 2nd key I have will just open the car and start it up.

I think central locking was offered as a feature when the car was released but I could be wrong. How many keys do you have?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2019, 02:06 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Quote:
Hi I only have one mechanical key, no Central locking key at all. I've contacted BMW Mini and to get a new one, provided and programmed is 235.00. it's all old car, I wondered if there was a cheaper option.

Quote:

I bought a replacement key from amazon, the flick out type, I had the blade cut/copied at a small keysmiths and I just moved the internals which included a small black rfid chip and it worked first time without needing to be reprogrammed. But saying that my key had buttons to lock and unlock the central locking...

The fact BMW said that they could provide a key with central locking buttons leads me to belive you do infact have central locking and it's on every model..

Ive got a spare key without central locking buttons, when I get 5 mins I'll take it apart and see what the internals look like and if there are even buttons on the pcb and if there's an rfid chip too. I'll post the pics and maybe we can come up with a solution. 👍🏻
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2019, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

I bought a replacement key from amazon, the flick out type, I had the blade cut/copied at a small keysmiths and I just moved the internals which included a small black rfid chip and it worked first time without needing to be reprogrammed. But saying that my key had buttons to lock and unlock the central locking...

The fact BMW said that they could provide a key with central locking buttons leads me to belive you do infact have central locking and it's on every model..

Ive got a spare key without central locking buttons, when I get 5 mins I'll take it apart and see what the internals look like and if there are even buttons on the pcb and if there's an rfid chip too. I'll post the pics and maybe we can come up with a solution. 👍🏻
Thanks very much. 😁
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2019, 06:33 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Quote:
Thanks very much. 😁
OK so I opened up my key with no buttons to check what's inside and.. Absolutely nothing apart from the RFID chip which is used for the immobiliser. Unfortunately, I think if you want full central locking, you'll need to pay BMW 😔

On keys with buttons for central locking there's a pcb with a battery inside
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190511_192922_1557599538892.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	228291  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2019, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

[QUOTE=LeeHughes;4478737]
Quote:
Thanks very much. 😁
OK so I opened up my key with no buttons to check what's inside and.. Absolutely nothing apart from the RFID chip which is used for the immobiliser. Unfortunately, I think if you want full central locking, you'll need to pay BMW

😔 damn! Thank you so much for looking, I really appreciate it. It's not worth that expense, but at least I will get another ordinary key. Big thank you for being so kind. 😁
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in