Strong smell of Diesel - MINI Cooper Forum

Maintenance & MINI Care
Find Sponsor products associated with this forum
Questions and advice on keeping your MINI in top shape, from engine oil to body wax

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2019, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 01:44 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Send a message via AIM to Stormbringer55 Send a message via MSN to Stormbringer55 Send a message via Yahoo to Stormbringer55
Strong smell of Diesel

I've been getting a strong smell of Diesel out side the car .
When I took the engine cover and acoustic pad of there is a large build up of black carbon /gunk around number one injector .
Could it be the seal at the base of the injector?
It doesn't seem to be leaking at the moment and performance is OK .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2019, 08:25 AM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormbringer55 View Post
I've been getting a strong smell of Diesel out side the car .
When I took the engine cover and acoustic pad of there is a large build up of black carbon /gunk around number one injector .
Could it be the seal at the base of the injector?
It doesn't seem to be leaking at the moment and performance is OK .

thats a engine killer, cooper seals on injector leaking in to oil this loads the oil with rock hard parts of carbon that will block up oil filter and oil strainer on oil pump suck up in the sump, your first off job use carb cleaner spray and clean the crud wash it down wards tin to the sump then remove the sump do the same trick, fit new filter new oil add seafoam to the oil take car for 100 miles run drop oil again fit another new filter and more oil.. can buy from europarts 20 litre drum of engine oil 46 cheapest way, lucky you found it sooner enough most people get the blown up turbo and engine after a diesel runaway when it eats its own oil and wont stop just revs at 7k until goes bang and run out of oil to eat. need to get it all clean inside,
link for spray carb cleaner i would say need 4 cans and a stiff small brush
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Holts-EGR...EAAOSw7xxcxCgH
seafoam twin pack the spray good for cleaning as well.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-CAN-KIT...UAAOSwCdJZlwY9

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2019, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom Male

Send a message via AIM to Stormbringer55 Send a message via MSN to Stormbringer55 Send a message via Yahoo to Stormbringer55
Thanks ,will get it sorted .
John

Over Land and Sea.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2019, 08:04 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

From your pictures it's clear that you have leaking injector seals (chuffing injectors). The horrible diesel fume smell is evident of exhaust gases leaking past a small copper washer, this seals the injector into the combustion chamber. It does NOT affect engine oil or come in contact with engine oil.

From your pictures it looks like it been leaking a long time. It will be difficult to remove the injector and clean, you should be able to do just the one leaking seal. The head/seating will need to be reseated and all that crud removed. Don't buy seals from Ebay.

Last edited by G-A-R-Y; May 8th, 2019 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2019, 07:55 AM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-A-R-Y View Post
From your pictures it's clear that you have leaking injector seals (chuffing injectors). The horrible diesel fume smell is evident of exhaust gases leaking past a small copper washer, this seals the injector into the combustion chamber. It does NOT affect engine oil or come in contact with engine oil.

From your pictures it looks like it been leaking a long time. It will be difficult to remove the injector and clean, you should be able to do just the one leaking seal. The head/seating will need to be reseated and all that crud removed. Don't buy seals from Ebay.
It does NOT affect engine oil or come in contact with engine oil. hmmm really does it not, so when there is not enough compression in that cylinder to atomise the fuel and make it burn off where do you think the unburnt diesel ends up, yep past the piston ring and ends on in the oil and crankcase,, also unburnt fuel gets in to exhaust effects the particulate filter causing the engine to try and regen its self this adds more fuel and retards the ignition causing back pressure from the dpf filter and causing carbon soot to blow past breather and piston rings etc, and loads the oil with even more crud,, as car has been driven for a fair while to get that amount of oil turning to grease residue on top its well in all the realms IE what i said before needs to be done to clean it out correctly,
how do I know this because i have seen this on all diesels that go that way mainly due to dpf filters adding to it,

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2019, 08:14 AM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Thanks ,will get it sorted .
John
i've added a comment to clarify what happens and a non half arsed way to sort it out and possible bad outcome if dont do it correctly, you should also check the air filter might be totally black is so fit new one,, then worth sticking can of cataclean dpf cleaner in the fuel tank and in ideal world have the dpf forced regen with software autocom will do that cost 40 on ebay
as for only repairing the single seal thats up to you, if were my car i would do the lot do once and forget about rather than repair one of and sit there worrying about when another one fails and they do fail,, heat causes it when the engine goes through high pressure and high regens on the dpf filter as it driving along,, high tensile steel bolts and alloy soft head the move differently in heat. i buy ebay seals from company's that sell injectors all the time and they are fine and cheaper than main agents that said not that expensive anyways

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2019, 12:02 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Stormbringer.
I suggest you do your own research before following advice from internet forums as you never really know who is advising.

You don't have a DPF problem, you don't have a turbo problem, and you're engine oil is most likely fine.

If you've let it get in to this state we can expect that you've not changed the oil recently or have any mechanical knowledge, unless you have a warning that the DPF is blocked there is no need to touch this.

What is important is that you take this to a competent mechanic, they will reseat the base of the injector seal, it needs to be spotlessly clean and perfectly flat to enable the new copper washer to sit flush and make a good seal, if you're not a mechanic yourself it's worth paying to get this done properly.

If you're interested in how to do it, take a look at page 6 of this guide. This is for the 1.6 PSA engine and not the BMW engine, but the seating of the injector is the same.

https://www.hdi-tuning.co.uk/downloa...00HDI-TDCI.pdf

My offer of telephone advice remains
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2019, 12:49 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

yep i',m lying totally dont believe a word of it...

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2019, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom Male

Thanks , I noticed the smell the day after I collected it .Its back at the garage ,they have replaced all the seals,I was supposed to get it back Saturday but number 2 is still leaking passed the new seal .Interestingly I think number 2 injector had previously been replaced as it looked new .
So further work to be done .
They also replaced the brake vacuum sensor as the stop start was not working .
The fault was cleared but the stop start still is not working .
The cleaned area .

Over Land and Sea.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2019, 09:16 AM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Thanks , I noticed the smell the day after I collected it .Its back at the garage ,they have replaced all the seals,I was supposed to get it back Saturday but number 2 is still leaking passed the new seal .Interestingly I think number 2 injector had previously been replaced as it looked new .
So further work to be done .
They also replaced the brake vacuum sensor as the stop start was not working .
The fault was cleared but the stop start still is not working .
The cleaned area .
concerning its had that injector out or changed before and you still have a issue not sealing, i would now question whether last owner drove it with seal leaking for a while and has damaged the injector seat in the head..
below is a link for cutting tool to clean and cut fresh seat for injector to sit on
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/17pc-Dies...AAAOSwxg5Xx~Yn

disclaimer,,, but it might not be true

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2019, 09:26 AM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

when you have had it sorted ie this fault it would be wise to have a forced regen done of the dpf filter prevention it by far a lot cheaper than repairing the bi products or a blocked filter due to other faults on the engine, and very common is glow plugs, low compression, injector issues and leaking seals dumping the compression ratio so low on one cylinder will cause more soot and ecu will prevent the regen because it detects a issue,, and anyone who dont know this should not really be giving anyone advise on it,, its the very basic principle of how these systems work together.

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2019, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom Male

Just spoke to the garage .
The original problem has been fixed with a second new injector and seal.
However there is another problem .
After approx 30 mins driving diesel stars to weep from around no 2 possibly the return pipe not the metal high pressure pipe .
They are changing the return pipes to see if this cures the problem .

Over Land and Sea.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2019, 06:17 AM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Just spoke to the garage .
The original problem has been fixed with a second new injector and seal.
However there is another problem .
After approx 30 mins driving diesel stars to weep from around no 2 possibly the return pipe not the metal high pressure pipe .
They are changing the return pipes to see if this cures the problem .
i would ask garage to do a diesel injector leak off test piezo injector testing link below for a guide how to.
electronic method, autocom will show m/gs per sec readings as will delphi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFLc7hEKnUk

leak off test below,found this one that he explains the process
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUmAyj6uBTo

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2019, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom Male

They took the cam cover off today and found the seal around the hole for number 2 injector has broken and the cam cover as well.
Bother being replaced .

Over Land and Sea.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2019, 06:30 AM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
They took the cam cover off today and found the seal around the hole for number 2 injector has broken and the cam cover as well.
Bother being replaced .
would make me question if in the past its had a faulty injector replaced that got stuck in the head and who ever done the job had broken the cover etc,some times heads and injectors just hold together and impossible to get injectors out of head,, theres a guy on ebay charges 38 per injector to come and use a special puller tool he had made up

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in