Vibration at motorway speeds - MINI Cooper Forum
Maintenance & MINI Care
Find Sponsor products associated with this forum
Questions and advice on keeping your MINI in top shape, from engine oil to body wax

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2019, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 04:42 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Vibration at motorway speeds

my Cooper D seems to vibrate/resonate more than it should when cruising along at 75-80 on the motorway - cant quite place the source

still on run flats and the front tyres are getting worn...I guess that can't help but any other ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2019, 04:29 PM
MINI2 Senior

Local Time: 05:42 PM
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male View Mid Life Mini's Classified Ads

You might want to get the tyres checked out. I drove a friends MINI down to the south of France a few years ago and the journey was marred by vibration at speed coming from the back, Turned out that the tyre was damaged on the sidewall and that was causing the vibration.

Last edited by Mid Life Mini; May 9th, 2019 at 05:14 AM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2019, 11:02 PM
knt
MINI2 Regular

Quoted: 52 Post(s)

Might be worth getting the tyres balance and alignment done.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2019, 09:40 AM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS29 View Post
my Cooper D seems to vibrate/resonate more than it should when cruising along at 75-80 on the motorway - cant quite place the source

still on run flats and the front tyres are getting worn...I guess that can't help but any other ideas?
put someone in drivers seat engine running listen around the gearbox to engine part of engine and box get them to work the clutch pedal if can hear noises and vibration changes pitch then chance are its the flywheel is worn out. they tend to last around 70k on the diesels depending how and where driven, ie motorcar will do 150k easy, and around town car driven at low revs as early as 50k . high torque loads play hell with them. i put flywheels in both my cooper d clubmans around the 80k mark,
also worth after a good drive at motoway way speeds to check each wheel see if one is hotter than the rest is so could be down to a brake caliper sticking, or warped brake disc, worth jack car up spin wheels while still hot see what sound wrong,
remove front wheels check the driveshaft for play un and down and rotational for clunks. check road springs and pull the top by the top strut mount for clunks,,while car jacked up spin wheel rest something against the tyre and spin it see if it rubs on and off as such, same with the thread and rim part as might be bent or tyre might be out of shape,, if car has been parked up for a long time the tyres can sag on one spot .
gear box and engine mounts worth checking
bottom pulley on crankshaft has a tortional damper ie rubber bit in it that fail and vibrate big time, also oil pressure worth checking as if mains worn will also cause a vibration in drive line,

good tuners/repairs in southwest uk top guys 01579388980
good tuner/ecu body control clones etc lancaster up north uk DALE PHONE NUMBER 07807 222262 top guy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in