R56 Diesel DV6 White Smoke - MINI Cooper Forum
Maintenance & MINI Care
Find Sponsor products associated with this forum
Questions and advice on keeping your MINI in top shape, from engine oil to body wax

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2019, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 06:43 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

R56 Diesel DV6 White Smoke

I have a 2009 Cooper D ,it starts fine and will rev up and down from tick over to 3000 rpm with no issues at all but as soon as it hits 3200 rpm it borks out/splutters and belches white smoke out (stinks of diesel) but if you rev past to about 3800-4000 rpm it revs smooth and smoke starts to die down.

So far its had 4 injectors (plus seals),EGR Valve,fuel filter,air filter,Oil plus filter,turbo (as it was blowing oil out of the exhaust),turbo pipe (plus banjo bolt filter removed),and inlet manifold seals replaced.

All the bits replaced were found to have faults but non have made any difference and it still smokes.

Anyone get any idea's what could cause this ??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2019, 03:43 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

have you done a compression test, have you done a oil pressure test, if smells of diesel sounds like unburnt diesel as its white smoke, need to know what compression is on all cylinders, a clue to a doggy cylinder can be the temps of exhaust manifold on each port from cold, ie a dead or not running right port/cylinder will be colder than the rest, i use a laser temp gun sometimes help identify which cylinder. if you have autocom you could read the injectors fuelings if see one miles out as a neg reading would point at one cylinder, if see all 4 like it can point to oil burning ie turbo failure and eating its own oil, also if has been running like this for a while it will clog dpf filter and cause problems, need compression and oil pressure to start with

good tuners/repairs in southwest uk top guys 01579388980
good tuner/ecu body control clones etc lancaster up north uk DALE PHONE NUMBER 07807 222262 top guy.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2019, 03:48 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

i had one like this once turned out the main bearing were screwed due to past turbo failure and lying piece of poo last owner promising it had not runaway on it oil, which it had, cost me 2 turbo.s as killed them off as soon as engine was pushed, another thing worth checking is sump free of any dents have seem get pushed up and restrict oil flow, this car kept showing map sensor plausibility fault code, ie turbo had not enough oil pressure to float bearing and dragged until white smoke started.

good tuner/ecu body control clones etc lancaster up north uk DALE PHONE NUMBER 07807 222262 top guy.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2019, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Ive got a Snap on scanner on it way so going to check live data,not done a compression test yet.

It has no error codes on car,maf disconnected made not difference,dpf was cleaned and checked when the turbo was done,sump looks fine,its been run up to temp after rebuild on tick over and not driven at all.

Car was running ok when i bought it apart from blowing oil from exhaust when revved ,below 3100 and above 4000rpm the car is smooth and engine sound fine with no obvious signs of burning oil.

Likewise i was lied to as i bought the car just needing cosmetic jobs but running and driving fine (i had i collected via my recovery guy so couldn't check before buying)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2019, 07:15 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Hero View Post
Ive got a Snap on scanner on it way so going to check live data,not done a compression test yet.

It has no error codes on car,maf disconnected made not difference,dpf was cleaned and checked when the turbo was done,sump looks fine,its been run up to temp after rebuild on tick over and not driven at all.

Car was running ok when i bought it apart from blowing oil from exhaust when revved ,below 3100 and above 4000rpm the car is smooth and engine sound fine with no obvious signs of burning oil.

Likewise i was lied to as i bought the car just needing cosmetic jobs but running and driving fine (i had i collected via my recovery guy so couldn't check before buying)
i would do a core test oil pressure and compression 3.9bar oil. should have well north of 200psi compression on them , if find one low worth sticking some seafoam in glow plug hole and leave over night just in case stick ring

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in