MINI Cooper Forum banner

Break-In Procedures transcribed here

3K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  -vk- 
#1 · (Edited)
Break-In (running-in) Procedures transcribed here

I had transcribed this in another thread - thought this might be useful general interest for all of you anxiously awaiting delivery. From a Canadian Cooper:

Break in procedures

To ensure that your vehicle provides maximum economy throughout a long service life, we request that you comply with the following information:

ENGINE
Up to 1200 miles (2000km): Attempt to constantly vary both vehicle and engine speed during these initial miles while remembering to avoid engine speeds in excess of 4500rpm and or vehicle speeds of over 95mph (150km/h).

Absolutely avoid using the full-throttle or kickdown position for the accelerator.

Once you have driven 1200 miles (2000km), the engine rpm or vehicle speed can be gradually increased.

You should also comply with these break-in procedures if the engine is replaced at a later poing.

TIRES
Due to technical factors assiciated with their manufacture, tires do not achieve their full traction potential undil after an initial break-in period. We therefore ask you to drive with extra care during the first 200 miles (300km).

BRAKE SYSTEM
Approximately 300 miles (500km) must be driven before the brake pads and rotors achieve the optimum pad-surface and wear patterns required for trouble-free operation and an extended service life.

CLUTCH
Approximately 300 miles (500km) must be driven before the clutch starts to operate at optimum efficiency. Remember to engage the clutch carefully during this initial period.

See less See more
#4 ·
eltel said:
Suggestion - rename this thread as "Running-in Procedure"

Regards, ElTel
It's a North American phrase, probably something to do with 'breaking' a wild horse, and preparing it for riding.

To us "running in" is what you do at a convenience store when you are in a hurry and you want some more beer. :D

#5 ·
Re: Break-In (running-in) Procedures transcribed here

pbeirne said:
while remembering to avoid engine speeds in excess of 4500rpm and or vehicle speeds of over 95mph (150km/h).
[/SIZE]
[/B]
Ok, as long as it's only for the first 1200 miles I can keep it under 95 mph.:D :eek: :D

#7 ·
I'm sure my manual says 2000 miles. I'd better double check as I'm at 1500 miles and waiting to use the power up there ;)
I hope I'm not missing some fun due to the lack of my reading ability :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.